Loud whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
breqwas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Loud whistle

Post by breqwas »

I own a plenty of cheap whistles, and one "high-end" one - Granite Falls aluminium D. The GFM is perfect - no reserves, it's just what it is, and I'm completely in love with it.

But it is quiet - notably quieter than any of my pennies, including Meg's. For most cases it's OK, but I need something louder for sessions and outdoor playing.

Simple answer is "Susato", but I don't like their sound. What other whistles should I consider? Burke session bore, Overton, etc?
Last edited by breqwas on Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Overton has assertive volume, although, like a Susato, just because it can be played very loud doesn't mean it has to be.

O'Brien narrow bore brass D has great volume without being overpowering. (I have a Rover in nickel-plated copper and love the sound but it's a quiet whistle. The brass is not.)

Hoovers are known for being quiet, but if you contact Mack, he can make you a session-volume whistle. I have one--it's very very nice. I took it to Denver a few years back and got some very nice compliments on it.

Burke session bore has good volume and a very easy second octave.

Syn has a lovely ringing tone and assertive volume. By the same maker, Black Diamond is also nice, but of the two I prefer the Syn.

Those are just a few of the many options.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
Tim2723

Post by Tim2723 »

Burke, Overton, Susato, and Syn get a lot of votes around here. For wood there's the Sweets. For outdoors you need wind resistance too, and the Susatos and Sweets are nice for that. If I had to choose a whistle to barrel through any situation like a frieght train, I'd stick with an old model Sweet or a Susato.
The crwth will set you free!

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info
Flogging Jason
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Flogging Jason »

Reyburn...period.
Pyroh

Post by Pyroh »

I´d suggest an Overton - very characterful sound indeed, it can be played as rather middle-voiced and very loudly too. It´s not the cheapest whistles, but you´ll get an instrument you want, with a lifetime warranty - it´s a great deal.
CranberryDog

Post by CranberryDog »

I have played Overtons for years; great volume, fast, and work fine outdoors. They are great whistles. They do reqiure warming up a bit. In the US, they sell for about $210.

Reyburns are now my numero uno. They simply rock. They have a big gutsy sound; however, can be played moderately. If I had to choose one, it would be Reyburn for a session whistle. In the US, about $170.

If you talk with the maker, Reynaldo, he will voice them as you like. The same is true with Overtons; speak to Colin Goldie. Best, Cyril.
preacher
Tell us something.: I am in my 70s and played music since fourth grade. Paid gigs include everything starting with church solos in 4th grade, nightclubs starting 9th grade, and worship ministry. Had a 29 year career teaching high school music both choral and instrumental. I've played several instruments starting with trumpet as my main ax. I added flute, sax and keys after college. Early 2000s whistles were added to my arsenal. I'm back to playing again after a 5 year hiatus.

loud

Post by preacher »

Loud but not Susato - Hmm - I still have my Susato but now have a Boisvert (I don't think he is back to building them yet but if you get someone to part with one -great) and all my Bleazeys play with authority. My one Copeland was very strong and I understand that Thin Weasels and Water Weasels can really cut the mustard. From what I have read it seems like I will need a Reyburn someday.
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

My O'Brien copper C/D set is pretty loud. I bought it after hearing they were relatively quiet. I asked David and he said the new design (such as mine) is louder. I don't have any other "high end" whistles to compare it to, but it's noticeably louder than any of my cheapies.

I'm still having a bit of a hard time with the high A and B (and occasionally even the high G), but I love the tone of the whistle.

Jason
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

A lot of my playing is done out of doors. I like to have a whistle i can really let rip with sometimes. I have tried so many here in the mountains on my hikes, Chieftains, Susato, Syns, Burkes, Bleazey etc etc but for me nothing can match Overtons esp my new A, which for me is the perfect outdoor whistle. Some whistles can be loud but don't have a nice tone out of doors.
tompipes

Post by tompipes »

What about a flute or a practice set of Uilleann pipes :wink:

Tommy
breqwas

Post by breqwas »

tompipes wrote:What about a flute or a practice set of Uilleann pipes :wink:
This summer I've made a public promise to touch no instrument except whistle till this samhain, and prolonged it till spring equnox recently. I have a bad feeling that if I break it, I will end up my life as a collector of instruments :)