New to tin whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
BlackFire_
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

New to tin whistle

Post by BlackFire_ »

Hello all, I'm new here as I'm also new to tin whistling. I used to play recorder a while ago, so I know what I'm doing, and I also play guitar which helps with theory and the like.

I just have a few questions that are unclear to me as of yet.

1) How do you blow into the tin whistle? Do you just blow regularily, or do you do a sort of "too too" thing?

2) My whistle is a Generation in D, however I heard these whistles aren't too great and I'd like to upgrade in the future. What other companies that aren't too rare (available to get in Canada) are out there? The store I went to also had Clarke whistles in boxes, I believe they were made of wood, are these better?

Thanks for your time.
TheSpoonMan

Post by TheSpoonMan »

Welcome! :)

1. Well, the "too too" stuff, that's not quite blowing, that's another thing called articulation. You breathe into the whistle (don't blow! at least not for the first octave), and one way to separate notes is by making stop sounds (t, d, k, g, etc) with your tongue- this is called "tonguing". Irish music is usually played with very, very little tonguing.

2. All the Generations I've ever tried have been awesome. My favorite whistle is a Feadog head on a nickel Gen body. The most expensive whistle I've ever had is a clarke. If you like your whistle, then keep it :)
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

boy did you find the right place. how did you come to have a whistle? where did you buy it? do you know anyone else who plays the whistle? we were all new at one point. welcome.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Bothrops

Post by Bothrops »

Welcome Blackfire! I'm rather new to the tin whistle as well.

1) I think in recorder is much more used the tonguing ("too too thing =)") than in whistle. Maybe it would be good to practice a little playing without tonguing at all to begin feeling comfortable with it. You will be able to cut the notes using simple ornamentation like 'cuts' and 'taps'.

2) I have a Susato VSB in D which is SUPERB. I recommend it a lot, and it's not that expensive (about u$s 38 for the tunable one and u$s 22 for the non-tunable).

Cheers!
Martin
BlackFire_

Post by BlackFire_ »

Thanks everyone.

I'm the only person I know who plays tin whistle, and I found out about it by listening to folk music, and then looking up videos on youtube of the tin whistle, and I got interested in it.

Does anyone know any fairly simple jigs/reels or anything to help me get started?
JohnnyQ

Post by JohnnyQ »

Hi Blackfire,
I'm a relative noob myself but I can pass on a few tips I picked up from my instructor. :wink:
When you are starting, try to blow in a relatively continuous stream of air - tonguing is usually avoided as a beginner but can be brought in for variety by a more experienced player. You may get a lot of squalks and squeaks at the start but that usually only lasts a few days, especially having played the recorder in the past.
The Generation D is a fine whistle to learn on and you may never need to buy another whistle. (Do a search for Whoa and be warned - I'm playing since august and I have six whistles already) :) :)
Try to get yourself a Tin Whistle tutor book and CD combo. they're not expensive and have easy to very difficult tunes categorised throughout.
Also search youtube for 'ryan duns' - he has lessons online.
Good luck and enjoy :D
JordanII

Post by JordanII »

BlackFire_ wrote:Thanks everyone.

I'm the only person I know who plays tin whistle, and I found out about it by listening to folk music, and then looking up videos on youtube of the tin whistle, and I got interested in it.

Does anyone know any fairly simple jigs/reels or anything to help me get started?
Jigs and reels aren't simple. If you think your really ready I would say the Irish Washerwoman is a fairly good one. It's the first jig I played. As far as songs that are a bit better for beginners goes, I would recommend the Foggy Dew and the Minstrel Boy.
Bothrops

Post by Bothrops »

Blackfire: I recommend you to visit whistlethis.com, there you'll find some whistle lessons given by Ryan Duns, he's very good.
Besides, I can tell you that some easy tunes to start with could be "Star of the county down", "The Foggy Dew" and "Scarborough Fair".

Good luck!
Martin
JordanII

Post by JordanII »

Btw, check out this website that Phil Hardy linked to in his newsletter: http://www.whistleaway.com/
BlackFire_

Post by BlackFire_ »

Thanks to everyone. I already checked out Ryan Duns lessons before I got my tin whistle, and I figured out Scarborough Fair by ear soon after I got my whistle.

I'll check out week 2 and after for Ryan Duns lessons, and the tunes you guys have suggested, thanks.
okstatepiper

Post by okstatepiper »

Welcome to whistling! Clarke's and Generations are a good cheap start as well as Feadog and Oaks. As many on this board will tell you, many famous and recording whistle stars play the cheapies very well. If and when you want to step up to the next level, there is a very good one called the Dixon Traditional and also the Susato for around $25 to 35.00. Susato has as many that love it as hate it. No middle ground here. Others are around. Then the next level is $80 to 170. Be Careful, WHOA is just around the corner. :D
KISS ME, I'M IRISH, Scotch, Dutch, Choctaw, and Okie!
evenstr

Post by evenstr »

Welcome. I hope you enjoy learning whistle. I'd recommend starting with slow airs rather than jigs or reels.
BlackFire_

Post by BlackFire_ »

What is whoa?
Is it just like when someone buys lots of tin whistle on impulse? :lol:
JordanII

Post by JordanII »

BlackFire_ wrote:What is whoa?
Is it just like when someone buys lots of tin whistle on impulse? :lol:
Yes, it stands for Whistle Obsessive Acquisition Disorder. Be warned, It's HIGHLY dangerous!
BlackFire_

Post by BlackFire_ »

Is it natural for the higher octave to be louder than the lower octave? It's causing problems when I try to record, cause it clips a bit when I move to the higher notes.