WhOA got me?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Denny
antispam: No

Post by Denny »

naw...I was just tryin' to be cute, eh :D
Doc Jones
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Doc Jones »

errr...medit8b1 speaks the truth too.

It all boils down to dilution of effort and focus.

I'm a good whistler. The reason I'm not a fabulous whistler is because I'm also a good guitarist, mandolinist, fluter, low-whistler, piper (OK...maybe not "good" per se), concertinaist (is that a even a word?) etc,etc,etc...

In my case good is the enemy of best...jack of all musical trades, master of none. But you know, it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make. I'm having a great time making music and folks clap when I do it.

Much as I love her, I will never be Joannie Madden. This is probably for the best as I really don't look that great in pantyhose.

Take home message:

If you want a low-D get one. If you want to be a great player of any instrument focus intently on that instrument.

As for me, I've always considered all my various musical instruments to be my friends. I'm afraid if I get too serious with one of them it will ruin our relationship. :P

Bloomy and Medi are both absolutely correct in their assertions. They're proselyting two different paths. Choose the path you want.

Doc
Last edited by Doc Jones on Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

hee hee :D

*getting a bag of popcorn and pulling a chair up to the desk.*

I am a learner of whistling from low D to high D. I have been a learner for 3 years. Considering myself an ordinary person with ordinary learning ability, I'd still side with Bloo.

The more I learn, the more I appreciate Bloo. 2 years ago I didn't understand his devotion to Overton whistles - now I own 5. But I'd still like to show him my Reyburns.
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

Doc Jones wrote:concertinaist
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Daniel

medit8b1

Post by medit8b1 »

Sorry I got heated :oops: , I just hate having my opinions dismissed instead of debated, which I thought was part of the function of this forum, ie. the discussion and debate of opinions and ideas. Everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion, and I suspect that in this instance we will have to agree to disagree. It is only logical to give more weight to the opinion of someone with more experience, but I don't think that automatically invalidates the opinion of someone with less.
Long live the Low Whistle!
http://pipersgrip.50webs.com
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

medit8b1 wrote:Answer me this then. Why are most professional low whistle players pipers or flute players, not high whistle players first?

Davy Spillane
Finbar Furey
Emer Mayock
Fraser Fifield
Brendah Ring
John McSherry

Need I go on?
Give any of them a high whistle, and see what happens. And ask them what instrument they started on.
If the things that differentiate a low whistle from a high whistle are so "easily" learned, than why would it matter which type of whistle the rest of the techniques were learned on? Rhythm, phrasing and variation are not even idiomatic to whistles, they are basic music skills that are required on any instrument, and therefore do not apply to this argument. As to precision and ornamentation, I would again point out that finger position is significantly different on a low whistle than a high, and one would have to acclimate ones fingers (which are after all directly reponsible for creating precision and ornamentation) to a low whistle wether you'd played a high whistle or not.
I hear you, but this sounds totally theoretical to me. My experience is different, as is that of every good player I've ever discussed this with.

But look, I think you are getting to worked up about it. It's much more important that you are excited about what you are doing than that you follow some prudent approach. Everyone should do what they want.

:party:
/Bloomfield
dfernandez77

Post by dfernandez77 »

medit8b1 wrote:Sorry I got heated :oops: , I just hate having my opinions dismissed instead of debated,
We all have had our feathers ruffled once in a while around here. I actually miss some of the legacy rufflers.

In my experience - though limited to just a few years - I find playing on a high whistle first and learning the ornamentation, pace, phrasing, etc. I like first is the faster way to go. Then when I play it on a low whistle I can translate it through the quirks of the whistle (assuming I know the whistle well). Overall it's more satifying to me.

Others may progress differently.
Daniel

Denny

Post by Denny »

:lol: If you don't enjoy what you're tryin' to learn to do it makes it so much more difficult. :lol:

There ya go...a two liner that rhymed and one abominable sentence!

I'll go feed the horses.
ElPollo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by ElPollo »

I'm back. :)

And now i feel almost sorry for getting that argument started with my first post. :P

I always follow my heart when it comes to music, that's why i don't want to wait with the low d's.

My "plan" (if you can call it that) is to practise slow tunes on the low d as i simply LOVE the low sound for those, then practice fast tunes on the high d (and c as i have that too) to get the hang of them and of adding my own style to a tune.

To me that sounds like a decent plan. :)

(PS, i'm not new to music, as i have written a few songs myself (not irish ones... yet) and used to play synthesizer)
medit8b1

Post by medit8b1 »

dfernandez77 wrote:
In my experience - though limited to just a few years - I find playing on a high whistle first and learning the ornamentation, pace, phrasing, etc. I like first is the faster way to go. Then when I play it on a low whistle I can translate it through the quirks of the whistle (assuming I know the whistle well). Overall it's more satifying to me.

Others may progress differently.
Certainly if that is what works for you, more power to you! :) It just seems like adding an extra step to me. I hate to admit this, but I do own a Bb generation (it's my car whistle, hard to fit a low D behind the steering wheel) and I have on more than one occasion found it a little tricky to play tunes I had learned on my low whistles on it.

The thing that got my "feathers ruffled" as it were, was Blooms blanket statement that "...before you can play a high whistle, you won't be able to play a low whistle" I just don't feel that is correct, for reasons previously stated. If the argument is about which method of learning is easier, I would imagine that would be individualistic.
medit8b1

Post by medit8b1 »

Oh! ye'll take the high road and
I'll take the low road,
And I'll be in Scotland afore ye!

Sorry, just couldn't resist! :lol:
twistedfingers

Post by twistedfingers »

I usually steer well clear of any threads with an audience of popcorn munchers :lol: :lol: in case my limited experience is called into question, but I have always read with interest, threads about the merits of picking up a high or low whistle first.

I don't know what has inspired me this time, but here goes.. <clears throat>

After exposure to a severe case of Riverdance I thought 'that's the one for me!' and picked up a Kerry low d on a trip to Ireland. My wife picked up a Guiness whistle and tunebook type thing at the same time and we made our way to opposite ends of the house to 'indulge' ourselves. Well it took ages just to get the holes covered with my makeshift pipers grip, but I was a dab hand at a lovely tune with only C# in it, whilst my wife was learning more polkas than you could shake a stick at it. 'If Davey can do it...' was my mantra as I squawked my way through Lift the Wings.
Anyway to cut a long story short I had set my heart on it, so my enthusiasm for playing a low whistle was far more than my wife's ehthusiasm, gained from early successes. My wife lost interest in her whistle within weeks (fortunately I fared a little better) whereas five years on, I have even been moved to purchase several high D whistles as my playing has improved :)

If there is a moral to this story, I guess this is it: Play whatever inspired you in the first place and don't compromise your desires because it may save you sweat and tears along the way, or make you a better player further down the line. for myself, playing both now, I wouldn't do it any differently if I had my time over again and slow aires are still my favourite playing or listening on any whistle (think Joannie Madden - Hills of New Zealand on a high d). It may take longer to improve but the rewards are great!!
Andy
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

I say start with the low whistle if that's what you want. You can always pick up a high whistle if it turned out to be a mistake.

I only learned the high whistle while I was waiting for my flute order. Since my flute came, I never play any whistles anymore, and were I to start it up again, I really think I'd prefer a low whistle.

Now if somebody told me not to learn the flute because it's too hard and to master the penny whistle first, I may have just given up completely. I love the flute and everything about it. I love the penny whistle too, in capable hands, of which mine are not.

In short, play the instrument you like.
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
boatgirl

Post by boatgirl »

Usually I follow the heart too but alas my bank account doesn't allow me that! Since initially I wanted a low whistle I decided, as they were so costly, I would get a cheapie and make sure I really liked playing whistle first. So I started with the high whistle - that was a year ago and now I'm buying upper end cheapies! (with a high end wish list). Still not certain I meet my own musical standards to warrant spending out on a low d. My point is this, I resisted that urge for the low whistle for a month and it went away as my focus purely became mastering this little tin whistle - not as easy as it first appears! Not hard either but there is always room for improvement. Happy whistling whatever you do!
boatgirl

Post by boatgirl »

Usually I follow the heart too but alas my bank account doesn't allow me that! Since initially I wanted a low whistle I decided, as they were so costly, I would get a cheapie and make sure I really liked playing whistle first. So I started with the high whistle - that was a year ago and now I'm buying upper end cheapies! Still not certain I meet my own musical standards to warrant spending out on a low d. My point is this, I resisted that urge for the low whistle for a month and it went away as my focus purely became mastering this little tin whistle - not as easy as it first appears! Not hard either but there is always room for improvement. Happy whistling whatever you do!