WhOA got me?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
ElPollo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

WhOA got me?

Post by ElPollo »

First post. :)

About 1½ month ago, i decided that NOW i wanted to learn some Irish traditional music. I went on a quest to all music shops in town and searched the net for possible sellers here in Denmark.

I ended up with a cheap Meg in D and now i have a C too + a Generation F. (Mistake buy, but it sounds good, so i'm not giving it away to any friends yet, they're all mine, my preciouss..)

Already i have fallen in love with the Burke Viper and both Sweetheart Pro and Resonance. I have begun my quest for finding a cheap low D to practice on before i try to convince my bank account to fall in love with the mentioned Low D's.

Any advice, both on the cheap low D's and finding a cure for WhOA before i go bankrupt? :P

(current max funds for a cheap low D is about 40-60$)
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

Here is my advice (not that you'll like it): play hi Ds and Cs for at a year or two before starting on a low whistle.
/Bloomfield
ElPollo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by ElPollo »

Why the wait?

I spend several hours a day having fun with my current whistles, but i've always loved the "low sound", which is the reason for me wanting to get a cheap one for starters.

What i'm asking for is recommendations on the cheaper ones. I like the "pure" sounding ones. I'll be happy for any advice people give. :)
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

ElPollo wrote:Why the wait?

I spend several hours a day having fun with my current whistles, but i've always loved the "low sound", which is the reason for me wanting to get a cheap one for starters.

What i'm asking for is recommendations on the cheaper ones. I like the "pure" sounding ones. I'll be happy for any advice people give. :)
Why the wait? Because before you can play a high whistle, you won't be able to play a low whistle. Every movement is easier on the high whistle.

The cheapest Low D I know of can be obtained from Daniel Bingamon. http://www.tinwhistles.us/jubilee/jubilee.htm
/Bloomfield
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

I'll have to agree with Bloomy on this. Get some good chops on a D first.
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Ditto, except that I'll pitch a vote for the C and Bb whistles. They're still easy to play, and tend to p*ss off the family a bit less. As a tinnitus sufferer, I can also attest that they put a bit less stress on the eardrum.

If the cash is burning a hole in your pocket, I'd steer you toward a really good C or Bb, (like maybe a Burke or Hoover). Low whistles are great, but flutes still rule the lower registers, IMHO.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
medit8b1

Post by medit8b1 »

Baah! Ignore those people with their little tooters :D , If you want to play a low whistle, then play a low whistle! Welcome to the dark side! Or should I say low side? As I state on my website, a low whistle is not a high whistle, and is not played the same. The fingering is different (pipersgrip) and the air/breath support required is different. Even if you spend a year playing high whistles, you will still have to "learn" to play a low whistle. If anything, I think it would be easier to learn low whistle first, than go to high whistles, they would seem easy in retrospect! (for more of my arguments on this subject, go to http://pipersgrip.50webs.com/F.A.Q..html)

A good, pure sounding low whistle for not much money is the Dixon abs low D. They also have a slightly smaller finger stretch and smaller holes compared to other low D's.
Long live the Low Whistle!
http://pipersgrip.50webs.com
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

medit8b1 wrote:Baah! Ignore those people with their little tooters :D , If you want to play a low whistle, then play a low whistle! Welcome to the dark side! Or should I say low side? As I state on my website, a low whistle is not a high whistle, and is not played the same. The fingering is different (pipersgrip) and the air/breath support required is different. Even if you spend a year playing high whistles, you will still have to "learn" to play a low whistle. If anything, I think it would be easier to learn low whistle first, than go to high whistles, they would seem easy in retrospect! (for more of my arguments on this subject, go to http://pipersgrip.50webs.com/F.A.Q..html)

A good, pure sounding low whistle for not much money is the Dixon abs low D. They also have a slightly smaller finger stretch and smaller holes compared to other low D's.
Ha.
3. Should I learn the "High" whistle before I learn the Low whistle?

It is a common misconception, in my not so humble opinion, that one should learn how to play the "high" whistle before learning how to play the low whistle. While it can certainly be argued that learning to play the high whistle may be a somewhat easier task, being able to play one does not necessarily give you a leg up on learning how to play the Low whistle. High whistles are generally played using the pads of the fingertips, where low whistles are generally played using the pipers grip (see Technique section). Having instilled into ones muscle memory how to play using the fingertips, one would then have to "re-train" their fingers, compared to a complete beginner who would just learn the pipers grip from the start. Further more, not all fingering on a Low whistle is exactly the same as a High whistle, and the air requirements and breath control required to play each instrument is very different as well. This is not to say that a High whistler cannot or should not learn the Low whistle, simply that no one should feel obligated to learn the high whistle in order to learn the Low. This can most aptly be demonstrated by the fact that most professsional Low whistle players tend to be pipers first, not high whistle players.
But most importantly, if you, like myself, are drawn to the Low whistle for it's intrinsic attributes, and maybe feel that High whistles are, well, too high (dare I say shrieky?), then why waste your time learning an instrument that you're not really interested in playing and just go straight for the good stuff!
LOL. The pipers grip and breath support and the occasional quirky cross fingerings are the least of it. Those are easily learned, in a week or a month. What learning the whistle actually means is precision, rhythm, phrasing, ornamentation, variation. That's the work that needs to be done and it is easier to do on the high whistle.

That said, if you only want to play low whistle, and particularly if you are going to play Sally Gardens and My Heart Will Go On, you're right: don't bother with the high whistle.
/Bloomfield
medit8b1

Post by medit8b1 »

Bloomfield wrote: LOL. The pipers grip and breath support and the occasional quirky cross fingerings are the least of it. Those are easily learned, in a week or a month. What learning the whistle actually means is precision, rhythm, phrasing, ornamentation, variation. That's the work that needs to be done and it is easier to do on the high whistle.
If the things that differentiate a low whistle from a high whistle are so "easily" learned, than why would it matter which type of whistle the rest of the techniques were learned on? Rhythm, phrasing and variation are not even idiomatic to whistles, they are basic music skills that are required on any instrument, and therefore do not apply to this argument. As to precision and ornamentation, I would again point out that finger position is significantly different on a low whistle than a high, and one would have to acclimate ones fingers (which are after all directly reponsible for creating precision and ornamentation) to a low whistle wether you'd played a high whistle or not.
And my final argument will always remain, if you want to play a low whistle, why would you waste time learning a different instrument you did not want to play first? Thats like saying you have to play a violin before learning to play a cello!

Ha yourself!
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

Bloomy speaks the truth,

Serious proficiency requires serious commitment.

Jumping right into low whistle as a newbie will markedly lengthen your journey to becoming Joannie Madden.

Question is how serious do you want to be.

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
Denny

Post by Denny »

anyone with a clue
would listen to Bloo
medit8b1

Post by medit8b1 »

Answer me this then. Why are most professional low whistle players pipers or flute players, not high whistle players first?

Davy Spillane
Finbar Furey
Emer Mayock
Fraser Fifield
Brendah Ring
John McSherry

Need I go on?
Denny

Post by Denny »

Bloomfield is highly intelligent, well educated and a fine whistle player.

does that version of what I said before sit better with you? :lol:
medit8b1

Post by medit8b1 »

Denny wrote:anyone with a clue
would listen to Bloo
Oooh, way to support an argument, are we resorting to name calling now?
medit8b1

Post by medit8b1 »

Denny wrote:Bloomfield is highly intelligent, well educated and a fine whistle player.

does that version of what I said before sit better with you? :lol:

Ah, I see, my opinion is worthless due to my comparative lack of experience. So we're newbie bashing, not name calling. Thanks for clearing that up. I don't remember bringing Bloomfields credentials into question with my arguments.