Time to introduce myself...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
evenstr
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Time to introduce myself...

Post by evenstr »

I actually joined last week, but have been spending some time looking around and reading what's already up. However, I decided it's time to come out of my shell and introduce myself.

So, I'm a 15 year-old whistler with no Irish blood living in nowhere Ohio (lots of sessions and opportunities to play :wink: ). I have a Walton's C and D and a cheap low D I got off ebay (from Mideast Imports). I also have a bodhran and a collection of tourist flutes, a pan flute, and a flute from Erik the Flutemaker.

Umm, I think that's pretty much it. I'm still a beginner, and am sticking to slow airs for now, since fast songs get my fingers all mixed up. I look forward to years of learning and fun on Chiff and Fipple.
straycat82
antispam: No

Post by straycat82 »

Welcome, and best of luck! I'm sure that many here wish that we had started as young as 15. Keep at it and you'll have many years of enjoyment from your whistles.
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Hiya evenstr! Welcome to the madness.... good time to start...

When I was 15, I was active in school band, but I had yet to figure out that practice really *was* important! :oops: If you stick with it, and really want to be doing something worthwhile with it down the road, then don't be as thick as I was on that point. :lol:
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
evenstr

Post by evenstr »

Thanks for the welcome! I am happy to say that I practice every day, and hope to keep playing my entire life!
hathair_bláth

Post by hathair_bláth »

Welcome to the boards, evenstr! This is a great community full of tips and encouragement.

You've got me curious, though. How does a 15-year-old non-Irish from nowhere in Ohio get involved in ITM? :)
evenstr

Post by evenstr »

Well, I guess it's because I grew up on WKDD and National Public Radio until a couple years ago. That led to my love of movie soundtracks, which led to themes played on whistle (Lord of the Rings comes to mind), which led to the manic question of WHAT IS THAT INSTRUMENT, which eventually led to ITM. Plus, my Dad's best friend is Irish and his daughter used to dance so when I was about 8 we went to a lot of Irish festivals. Other than tha, I can't really say what else brought me to it. :wink:
Denny

Post by Denny »

hmm....nowhere Ohio...WKDD

ah, as a former nowhere Ohio person, welcome the C&F! :D
hathair_bláth

Post by hathair_bláth »

evenstr wrote:Well, I guess it's because I grew up on WKDD and National Public Radio until a couple years ago. That led to my love of movie soundtracks, which led to themes played on whistle (Lord of the Rings comes to mind), which led to the manic question of WHAT IS THAT INSTRUMENT, which eventually led to ITM. Plus, my Dad's best friend is Irish and his daughter used to dance so when I was about 8 we went to a lot of Irish festivals. Other than tha, I can't really say what else brought me to it. :wink:
Ah, it all makes sense now! Watch out, though. You've started down a slippery slope than can only lead to WhOA and crazed thoughts of jigs and reels. :wink:
Mr.Nate
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

newby

Post by Mr.Nate »

Your not to far off the beaten path!

There is a great flute maker in Loveland, Ohio!

www.celticlands.com/page3.html

Sorry to contribute to your WHOA so soon!

Cheers,

Nate
Roughing it out here in CO
Whistling in the Rockies!!
evenstr

Post by evenstr »

I don't know if anybody noticed this...probably no one did, but I got the radio station wrong. WKDD is the opposite of what I listen to. I grew up on WKSU, that should make more sense to Ohioans, and it makes me feel less confused :P .
jkrazy52

Post by jkrazy52 »

Welcome to the club of whistlers, evenstr ... from another current resident of nowhere Ohio, the way southern suburb. Wish I had been smart enough to start on whistle at 15. That was when I was wasting time playing clarinet. :)
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Welcome, evenstr! I used to be from nowhere OH, but now I'm stuck in the sticks of northern NY ;) There are tons of people here from OH.
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.