Way OT: Help with Palm Pilots, etc.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dale »

I'm thinking of buying a Palm Pilot or Visor or related product. I don't know anything about them. Can anyone advise? The array of possibilities is disturbing.

Dale

Dale Wisely
Chiff & Fipple HQ

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DaleWisely on 2002-10-27 15:10 ]</font>
theweirdscotsman

Post by theweirdscotsman »

Hey Dale. I would currently recommend a Visor because it seems like thats how you can get the most bang for the buck. The official website is even offering discounted refurbished units. However, I have an old palm V and thats working fine for me. They both use the same operating system. About the memory- if you are going to be downloading a lot of things off the internet (games, etc.) then you are going to want a a larger amount. But, if you are going to use it for addressess and scheduling then i doubt you would ever fill up one with 8 megs of storage space. Mine has only a paltry memory of 2 megs.) I have a few games and use it for my addressess and schedule and i almost run out of space. I would go with a visor with 8 megs.
Tony
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Dale... it depends on your needs. They all seem to do much of the same basic functions. The higher priced ones support color more memory and plug-in options.

Palm products seem to be the best supported.
The only negative comment about PDA's in general is they have frequent model changes. Many of the add-on cases, memory upgrades and gizmos won't work on the newer models. Forget about resale as the depreciate in value rather quickly, especially when older models get blown-out at half price only a season or two later.

I bought a Handspring Visor a few years ago that seemed the best product (for me) at the time. Shortly thereafter the boss bought everyone Casio Cassiopeia's that support multimedia. The screen on the Visor was clearer and it's software ran well, but the Casio had more features. True to Windows operating systems I often had to reset the Casio when it locked up.

My biggest gripe of all the models I've tried is they can't compare to a 10 year old Sharp Wizard organizer that has the ability to read the screen in direct sunlight.
serpent

Post by serpent »

Dale, I've used Palm Pilot since they first came out. They are, indeed, very versatile, and I still own a couple, a Professional, and a VX.
That said, I would observe that if it's to be your first PDA and you're primarily familiar with Windows, you get something that runs the Windows OS in some flavour. I bought a Toshiba e310 for under $300 here a while back, and have been very, very pleased with it. It synchs instantly with all the MS desktop software, and behaves very much like an extension of your office/home computer, when on the road. It also comes with a copy of Outlook Express 2002 for your home/office machine, which is a nice improvement of the one-down version.

Bright 64K colour screen
Good enough resolution for some surfing
Plenty of familiar applications
Small, thin profile
Nice leather case

I should also mention that this one actually does a good job of "reading" connected cursive writing - something that Palm does not do, as of the VX, without extra software.

That's 'nuff from me!
Best wishes,
Bill Whedon
thewesleyan

Post by thewesleyan »

I have a Handspring Visor, and I'm very (very) pleased with it. Cheaper than Palm, but just as good I reckon.
Whatever you buy, be glad you don't have to pay UK prices!
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Dale,

I did a lot of research and shopping around for these things about a year ago and, in the end, I found that it's really all about what you plan to do with the thing. If you just need a portable adress book, rolodex, and scheduler, then the Palm and Handspring Visor models will do everything you want quite simply and easily - without annoying crashes. I actually found that Sony's version of the palm was about the best thing going, IMO.

If you need to be able to do or easily transport word documents and other windows based software stuff, then go with a Pocket PC of some sort. I can't advise here because I decided early on that I didn't need anything that sophisticated, or unreliable.

Good luck.

Loren
Jim_B1

Post by Jim_B1 »

Hi Dale,
Any info on what you need it for would help. I'm going through the types myself but what I want doesn't exist yet so I'm waiting but I know most of what's out there. I'm using a Palm III with a keyboard and Wordsmith (documents in word format when you synchronize) for everything right now (I write reports and take notes in meetings as well as keep track of my schedule, rolodex stuff, and use palm reader and iSolo for electronic books) and I keep a spare M100 in the car as a rolodex/traffic jam solatare machine. Very cheap system that I'm using right now. I got the M100 for free and I think I paid like $50 for everything else (ebay is a good thing). Anyway, if you let me know what kind of stuff you want to do I can try and give you an idea of what you may want to look at. At least al lmy recent research will not have been in vein :smile:
-Jim
serpent

Post by serpent »

Hi, again, Dale.
I forgot to mention a couple other items about the e310 Toshiba Pocket PC I bought. First of all, it runs the new Pocket 2000 version of Windows - very, very stable - no "reliability" problems at all. Secondly, you can do a backup to SD memory "on the road" with no hookup to a PC at all. In addition, that same SD memory can add up to a half-gigabyte of very reliable storage for documents, etc., when you really want to carry something big around with you.

The reason that I have the e310 in the first place is due to a reliability problem with Palm OS 3 and 4, that can cause data corruption in your address book (that I know of) to the extent that it becomes unrecoverable. Further, if it's done this and you attempt to restore from PC backup, it corrupts that, as well. I've had this happen to me twice, two different PP models, and three different PC backups. I beat the crap out of my PDA - use-wise, that is. I use it for extensive meeting notes, keep all sorts of tech data on it, and store client information on notes attached to the addy book entries - not something I can really afford to lose! This does not automatically mean that'll happen to you - I went through three PPs before I got into a couple of bad ones. It's just that Loren's "unreliable" remark does not apply only to Pocket PC. Any of them can be unreliable. Murphy's law follow you a lot? Use a pencil and paper! Otherwise, try a few of 'em out at the local Best Buy, Office Depot, etc., and see which suits the way you want to work!
Cheers,
Bill Whedon
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

I appreciate you guys taking the time to provide some detailed information. I think it would be useful to find a place where I can try some out. I'm actually thinking that the scheduler is the main thing I need, and so this $99 Palm that's come out is tempting, but for the fact that the display isn't backlit. But, I'll for sure roll down to the neighborhood MegaElectroMart2002 and try some. Thanks very much.
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Scheduler only?
Be sure to try a Sharp Wizard. For $50 you get a rugged wallet sized organizer w/ built in keyboard, PC link, back lit screen that is visable in direct sunlight.
Jim_B1

Post by Jim_B1 »

Hi Dale,
If that's all you need, I can send you the m100, it's pretty much the same thing as the new one but with a backlight. I got it free so I figure I can pass it along. No sense your spending money on it. Let me know if your're interested.
-Jim
srt19170

Post by srt19170 »

I have a Palm V, which is a mixed blessing, but if I were to buy one right now I'd get a Sony Clie, which runs the Palm OS but is in other ways better (for the price) than the corresponding Palm/Visor products (IMHO).

-- Scott
nickt

Post by nickt »

For my two penn'orth, DON'T get a Palm/Visor/etc - go for Pocket Windows OS-based, they're much better (I had a Palm VX and now an HP 548 - startling difference).

If you only need a scheduler buy a diary for $10. But if you want more (and you may, you just may not yet know it), go for a Pocket PC.
Stonewall

Post by Stonewall »

Dale,
You ought to check out http://www.palminfocenter.com its probably the best site for Palm OS product reviews.

I agree with the comments about the Sony Clie's. I've tried about four different Palm OS PDA's within the last three months and found the Clie's to have the best overall features (the detail on the screens are amazing). Just make sure that you get a unit with TFT reflective display (it will allow you to view your unit in bright sunlight).

Finally, if the main feature you're looking for is the scheduler, the Palm OS (vs. Windows CE) is the ways to go. I tried the Toshiba E310 and found it too Microsoft like...

Stonewall

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Stonewall on 2002-10-28 22:06 ]</font>
wheels

Post by wheels »

There is no question, go for the pocket pc. Spread sheet items, reading books, mp3s, every element of your pc is available on your pocket pc. It costs a bit more, but out performs the visor and pilot in every way. You won't regret it.