Northeast Whistle gathering? (renamed)

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
RamblDoc
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Reasons to come for Lyn D

Post by RamblDoc »

REASONS TO ATTEND ----attention Lyn D

Whistles Whistles Whistles---
There is no place you can go where you will find as many tin whistles to look at, examine, play as at this gathering. Oh, there are a few private collections that may rival this, Dale Wisely's or JessieK's, for example, but this little Whistle Gathering is much more convenient if you live in the Longmeadow area.. If you're interested in finding out what's what in Whistledom this is as good a chance as you'll have all year.
Every year I say the same thing: sooo many whistles, so little time.
Socializing with C&Fers---
Play some tunes, Listen to others play. Discuss playing techniques as well as instruments. Eat, drink, and be merry.
There are usually some good players there, but don't be bashfull; I'm not. I play, squeaks, squawks, mistakes included. Everyone understands.
Last year Paul and Charlene Busman played a duet, which was wonderful. Avery (Unseen122) played his Galician pipes which I thought was nicer than any UPipes I've ever heard; that was extraordinarily nice. So, there's music, too.
Lloyd
Tom Dowling
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, I've been a contributor and visitor to this site since 2001. At one time or another, one of my photographs was the opening page photograph. My teacher was Bill Ochs. I play the Penny Whistle. Not a lot else to say.

Post by Tom Dowling »

Yeah, and we have the good fortune of a few multi-instrumentalists in the mix as well and there is some clean picking to work with, for sure. Last year, everyone brought something to eat or drink, the Sweets gave us use of their fine property, everyone drove some to get there, we made some decent music, remarked how none of us looked anything like a year older, and had a good time. It is a low pressure and casual event.

Tom D.
Lyn D

Reasons to attend

Post by Lyn D »

Well, it does sound like a lot a fun. I live in East Longmeadow, MA., right near Springfield. I would possibly go if it were, like, at the Sweets. Where in CT do they live? I wouldn't go if it were in NY. I'm a big chicken to go anywhere far alone. I read the posts and it seemed like July 22 was the date most people could make it, including the Sweets. If they're available, then we would have a place. Finding a place seems to be the biggest issue, Is that right?

Lyn
Last edited by Lyn D on Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tom Dowling
Tell us something.: Well, I've been a contributor and visitor to this site since 2001. At one time or another, one of my photographs was the opening page photograph. My teacher was Bill Ochs. I play the Penny Whistle. Not a lot else to say.

Post by Tom Dowling »

It was my impression that momentum--if that is the right term--was in the direction of 7/29 from among the folks who seem most firm about attending.

Would that be the general sense of things or am I in error?

Tom D.
Lyn D

NEWG

Post by Lyn D »

Hi Tom,

If the 29th is the better date for those who are definitely going, then
that should be the date. Have you found a place to have the gathering?

Lyn D
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Tom Dowling wrote:It was my impression that momentum--if that is the right term--was in the direction of 7/29 from among the folks who seem most firm about attending.

Would that be the general sense of things or am I in error?

Tom D.
I think you're right-- apart from the Sweets, the 29th seems to be better for most people.

Might someplace in Springfield be a good choice? The first gathering was at Look Park in Northampton, which was quite nice, BTW. It wasn't free, but as I recall we all chipped in for the site rental and it was pretty reasonable.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Lyn D

NEWG

Post by Lyn D »

Look Park is really pretty. I'll be there on July 21, with the weavers' guild that I belong to and we demonstrate weaving and spinning. I usually do spinning. It's pretty late to book there, I don't know if we'd get a spot. How many people are coming so far?

Lyn
RamblDoc

Post by RamblDoc »

Hi All:
It looks like Paul and Charlene, Tom, Avery (Unseen 122), Lyn (of E. Longmeadow), and me (Lloyd) at the least. I'll bet there will be a few more as the time nears and a time and place is established. I'd be surprised (and disappointed) if Mike Reagan (slowair) isn't able to make it.
How about planning for a group size of, say, 6 to 10, for now.
Look Park cost me maybe $10 - 15 to reserve a picnic table plus an entrance fee. That is a very nice place.
The date is set: ------ J U L Y 2 9 , Sunday------
Right ?
Lyn D

NEWG

Post by Lyn D »

Hi all,

Sunday, July 29th at Look Park sounds great to me. I'm getting excited about this! I have to tell you, though, I've only been playing the whistle for 8 months, and flute for 2 months, and I don't know any songs by heart. Can I still come? Can I bring my books? I have to warn you that, after getting me all excited about this gathering, if you say "no", I'm going to cry...sniff, sniff.
RamblDoc, are you going to make the reservation?

Lyn
mcurry

Post by mcurry »

I went last year as a new whistle player who'd been playing for only about six or seven months, and, despite knowing a tune or two well enough to probably not embarass myself (much), I chose never to play more than scales while I was at the gather.

I still had a grand time, listening to others play and getting to try out a host of whistles (and a flute or two). The C&Fers are a really welcoming bunch, and I strongly recommend that you (or any other new players who might be reading this) don't hesitate to attend. You'll be very glad you did!
Michael Curry
Lyn D

NEWG

Post by Lyn D »

Hi Michael,

Thanks so much for the encouragement. I'm really starting to look forward to this gathering.

Regards,
Lyn
Tom Dowling

Post by Tom Dowling »

I am amenable to the date and place. I need to check some things before I lock and load, but that should not impede the good progress that has been made thus far.

I have forgotten the name of the fine gentleman who I believe Slowair came over with last year, but I recall that, in addition to being a good whistle player, he was a good mandolin player as well. Ramblin Doc, do you know this fellow and is he on the roster? Similarly, I hope you will be bringing one or more stringed instruments.

Tom D.
RamblDoc

FLASH: The Sweets is Available

Post by RamblDoc »

Hi All: NEWS FLASH---The Sweets Place is available July 29 !!

Walt phoned me to inform me that he and his father have taken steps to make their Barn and grounds available to us Chiffers on July the 29th, should our group choose to hold the event there.
For those unfamiliar with the Sweets place it has the following advantages over Look Park:
1. Big place all to ourselves, don't have to lock your car which will be handy and in plain sight for you. Shaded.
2. Our own facilities. Big indoor space in case of rain.
3. Tables and chairs.
4. Cool swimming on the Banks of The Scantic River.
5. No admission fee, no parking fee.
6. It's available, especially for us, the North East Whistle Gathering

The one advantage I can think of about Look Park is we would be more able to share our whistle playing with appreciative strangers.

Was it "Butch" who accompanied "Slowair" last year ?
Tom, I'll have to check my 2006 Attendance List to be sure. But, I hope he comes again. And brings "Slowair" with him, too.
I want to know if Lyn could show me how to play a flute. I can't seem to be able to get a durn thing out of them. Just the basic first few things about embouchure and "making a sound", anything at all, stuff that she has already learned as a beginner. But, she must promise not to laugh at my attempts and inevitable failures.

Task Ahead: Let's Pick-A-Place

Best to all, Lloyd
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

That's great news about the Sweets-- they are generous to a fault.

Don't remember if it was Butch who brought Slowair, but Charlene and I could most likely haul him over for the day. Wouldn't be the same without him.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Lyn D

NEWG

Post by Lyn D »

I second that, about the Sweets. How generous of them to go to all that trouble for us! I would love to go to the Sweets' more than Look Park, for all the reasons listed above. Besides, I don't want too many people hearing me squeek and squawk! :lol: What does everyone think about it?

Lyn