Another stupid question from me

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
sbhikes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Another stupid question from me

Post by sbhikes »

Hi. What is the name of the little twiddly people do to a note that is on a downbeat or start of a phrase and how do you do it? The little twiddly bit is at the beginning, not in the middle of the note, and it is only a single little note.
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

Are you talking about a cut?

You can lift your cutting finger before you play the note, then immediately put the finger down right after the note starts. This gives a quick chirp at the beginning of the note.

Is this what you mean?

Jason
sbhikes

Post by sbhikes »

I guess it is. The tutorials all have you playing the note, then lifting the finger so I thought maybe it has a different name.

I can't quite figure out how to do it, either, but with time perhaps.
Denny
antispam: No

Post by Denny »

try thinking of it as briefly leaking one of the higher holes
just lift your finger high and quick enough to cause a blip in the sound
Stan

Post by Stan »

Have a look and listen here:

http://www.rogermillington.com/siamsa/b ... bits1.html

Bro Steve has a ton of info for you...............
talasiga

Re: Another stupid question from me

Post by talasiga »

sbhikes wrote: .....
What is the name of the little twiddly people do to a note that is on a downbeat or start of a phrase and how do you do it?
Good punctuation can turn a stupid question into a very good one:-

What is the name of the little twiddly, [that] people do to a note, that is on a downbeat or [the] start of a phrase, and how do you do it?

However, better than one stupid question are two really good ones:-

What is the name of the little twiddly, [that] people do to a note, that is on a downbeat or [the] start of a phrase? How do you do it?
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
squidgirl
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by squidgirl »

sbhikes wrote:I guess it is. The tutorials all have you playing the note, then lifting the finger so I thought maybe it has a different name.
Isn't that a double cut, when you play a niblet of the target note before blipping up to the cut tone (and then coming back down to play the main note)?

I think that what's confusing you is how the tutorials usually start you out by playing the note first because step one is usually to learn to cut a long, continuous note with little blips, then step two is to put a cut between two consecutive notes of the same pitch. And then step three is to just have the cut blipping up at the beginning of the note, which is, I think, what you were asking about in the first place...

(Somehow I feel like I'm not using my English very clearly either...)
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

I'm no expert either, but I believe a double cut is when you actually lift the finger twice.

I don't know if there's a different name for a cut that actually starts before you play the note (as we're talking about here).

A short roll uses this same cut, but combines it with a tap.

Jason
Blaydo

Post by Blaydo »

Jason Paul wrote:I'm no expert either, but I believe a double cut is when you actually lift the finger twice.

I don't know if there's a different name for a cut that actually starts before you play the note (as we're talking about here).

A short roll uses this same cut, but combines it with a tap.

Jason
No, a cut is a cut whatever way you look at it and they all start before you play the note because a cut is just one way of accentuation a note. It may just so happen sometimes that the note before the cut turns out to be the same as the cut note but it's got nothing to do with the cut itself.

A double cut or 'casadh' is technically speaking not comprised of 2 cuts as we know them. It's were you briefly play a note then cut the same note, so the finger is only lifted once not twice. It does comprise of 2 grace notes, the first being the brief playing of the main note and the second is the cut.