Vibratos

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

What type of vibrato do you use?

Breath Vibrato
13%
Finger Vibrato
33%
or Both
55%

Total votes: 55

pipersgrip
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Vibratos

Post by pipersgrip »

I have heard that only finger vibrato is preferred in ITM, but i use both finger and breath vibrato. Does anybody have a problem with breat vibratos? If so, why? I think that you can use more character with your breath.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
kari

Post by kari »

I really only use breath, but can use finger virbrato. I am a bit new to whistling though, so maybe when I become more familiar I will utalize the finger virbrato more. I also sang a lot in church before, so maybe that is just coming a bit easier for me right now!
Kari
cavefish
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Post by cavefish »

there is no right wor wrong ay -use what you can , finger seem to be more pronounce and effective
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I only use breath on D and E.
pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

Unseen122 wrote:I only use breath on D and E.
same here, and i use breath in second octave too.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
benbrad
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Breath

Post by benbrad »

IMO breath vibrato is the easiest to control and sounds the best. That is why flute players use it. It is a technique that is taught to flute players. I really think that the finger method was developed by people who didn't know about breath vibrato or didn't understand how to properly control it. It can be affectively applied to any note and also while other ornamentation utilizing the fingers is being performed. It would be almost impossible to be using the other ornamentations and finger vibrato simultaneously. Again, this is my opinion but I am influenced by 30+ years of flute playing.
Ben
Buckeye67

Post by Buckeye67 »

^--what kind of flute playing?

I use finger vibrato. Sparingly.
Bruno Sa

Post by Bruno Sa »

benbrad

In fact, AFAIK, many ornaments and the finger vibrato stuff used in ITM are techniques derived from the uilleann pipes, where you can't tongue to split notes, neither can you use breath vibrato. And although these techniques were adopted by several other instruments, I believe one has total freedom to experiment and push the capabilities of an instrument to its maximum pallete of sounds and approaches. It depends only on the aesthetics one is willing to go for.

cheers
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

IMO breath vibrato is the easiest to control and sounds the best. That is why flute players use it. It is a technique that is taught to flute players. I really think that the finger method was developed by people who didn't know about breath vibrato or didn't understand how to properly control it. It can be affectively applied to any note and also while other ornamentation utilizing the fingers is being performed. It would be almost impossible to be using the other ornamentations and finger vibrato simultaneously. Again, this is my opinion but I am influenced by 30+ years of flute playi
Quite some assumptions there. And not to mention the devastating arrogance of putting down a whole culture in one fell swoop by saying the people in who's hand it grew were ignorant and incapable. Fecking typical. |Those were 30 years spent as classical fluteplayer I am sure.
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

I need more coffee...

I thought this was a thread about Vibrators... :boggle:

M
(made me look!)
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Whistlin'Dixie wrote:I need more coffee...

M
(made me look!)
I did too :oops:

:lol:
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

benbrad wrote:I really think that the finger method was developed by people who didn't know about breath vibrato or didn't understand how to properly control it.
I'd like to see you try to execute breath vibrato as quickly as finger vibrato, though admittedly I'd put my money against you. :) Finger vibrato can be used effectively in very short spaces, places where you'd hyperventilate trying to do it that quickly with your diaphragm. Finger vibrato is quicker and more articulated. It definitely has a place in whistling, piping and flute playing.
While breath vibrato can also be expressive, it's in a somewhat different league. I'd do some research before you go making such assumptions.
Last edited by straycat82 on Wed May 23, 2007 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
benbrad

Vibrato

Post by benbrad »

Wow I didn't realize how touchy people can be on almost any subject. I never meant to slander the Irish or anyone who uses finger vibrato. I was only giving my opinion after seven semesters of music theory in college and playing the flute since I was a young boy. I thought that having studied and practiced that much I could give an opinion on what I think works best. I was wrong to do so. Very Sorry. Please forgive me.
Last edited by benbrad on Wed May 23, 2007 11:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ben
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

izzarina wrote:
Whistlin'Dixie wrote:I need more coffee...

M
(made me look!)
I did too :oops:

:lol:

I'm glad I'm not the only one with the filthy mind!

Not sure coffee with help with that my dear.

:P
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
Whitmores75087

Post by Whitmores75087 »

Ben, I wouldn't worry too much about some earlier comments There's a whole history behind that stance, just as there is a history behind yours.
And, for that matter there's a history behind how Irish music evolved. Like the early origins of the English language, it was unencumbered by the opinions of a highly educated intelligencia. So, what seemed "proper" to the rest of the world held no sway on ITM.

Breath vibrato has an elegance about it that generally doesn't work in ITM (in the opinion of most practitioners).

Finger vibrato made it's way over to whistling from the pipes, where breath vibrato is (of course) impossible.

But, you know, if you like breath vibrato...go for it! ITM is not like Scottish pipe bands. Everything is not set in stone.
Short bio: 1952-