Should I try to save 10£?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
CranberryDog
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Should I try to save 10£?

Post by CranberryDog »

Hello folks,

My first post and and on the horns of dilemma. I have ordered an Alba Low D. Stacey won't send it until this Friday. I am also itching for an alto G and I believe I will save 10£ if I order them together. If I order them together, I will be eating burritos for a month. Should I suffer the culinary deprivation for the sensory nirvana?

BTW, I am 62, live in the Texas Hill Country, a former piper, a present guitarist and was raised by dogs. Best.
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Depends. What kind of dogs?
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
A-Musing
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by A-Musing »

CD...
Being 62 myself, and having been raised by wolves, I think I'm reasonable in saying that eating burritos for a month will afford you the, er, wind to wail away on your new Albas.

I play lows...but not Albas...and they're a gas! hoo boy....
You-Me-Them-Us-IT. Anything Else?
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Burritos ain't bad, why, I once ate nothing else for an entire summer. Apart from a nonexistent social life, no bad results. :D

Get the whistles dog.
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

Aren't you going to be eating burritos for a month anyway? You certainly are not going to spend your money on Texas BBQ or that greasy, gristly, amorphous mass of agglutinization that Texans call chili, are you?

Get the whistles.
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
CranberryDog

Post by CranberryDog »

A-Musing wrote:CD...
Being 62 myself, and having been raised by wolves, I think I'm reasonable in saying that eating burritos for a month will afford you the, er, wind to wail away on your new Albas.

I play lows...but not Albas...and they're a gas! hoo boy....
Well said mate. Irish Wolf Hounds of course. So are you saying that my wife will like me all the better for my windy humour and squawking whistles. And she thought she was safe when I sold the Marshall and Les Paul.
CranberryDog

Post by CranberryDog »

gonzo914 wrote:Aren't you going to be eating burritos for a month anyway? You certainly are not going to spend your money on Texas BBQ or that greasy, gristly, amorphous mass of agglutinization that Texans call chili, are you?

Get the whistles.
I bet you put BEANS in what you call chili! Blasphemy!!!
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Buy them both. Then get out on the streets and do some busking!
cavefish
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Post by cavefish »

i myself was raised by dolphins---------------and being from the US of A-----------and that the pound is currancy hoseing US-------------i would save myself the 20.00$- go for it
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

CranberryDog wrote:
gonzo914 wrote:Aren't you going to be eating burritos for a month anyway? You certainly are not going to spend your money on Texas BBQ or that greasy, gristly, amorphous mass of agglutinization that Texans call chili, are you?

Get the whistles.
I bet you put BEANS in what you call chili! Blasphemy!!!
It depends upon what kind of chili I am making. If I am making northern boy chili (what you would call "vegetable soup"), I do, but if I am making Wick Fowler style chili, whether from scratch or from Wick's fine 2-Alarm kit, I forgo the beans, unless I am making it for children or invalids.

(Yes, I do know who Wick Fowler is, and if more Texas chili were made the Wick Fowler way, the world would be a better place. If I remember correctly, Wick says the beans are optional, but I think many Texans leave the beans out because they fear the beans will mask the delicate flavor and texture of the gristle.)

Gristle -- rhymes with whistle, which you should get.
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
A-Musing

Post by A-Musing »

Some spouses unaccountably prefer the wind...beany or not...to the delightful racket of the whistler's learning curve. I say, what are a few battered nerve-endings between old friends? (That being said, I tend to whistle out of earshot...)
You-Me-Them-Us-IT. Anything Else?
CranberryDog

Post by CranberryDog »

Thank you friends for your humour and encouragement. You remind me of my piping buddies.

Back when I was playing whistles (about 9 years ago), I had a Burke Pro ALuminium low D and a Session D. I thought they were very nice quality but a bit tame. I was also playing pipes with the band at the time and probably going deaf. My thinking is the that Albas might be a little more strident

Anyone have experience with the Alba low D or alto G? Yes, I have done a search and found some info. Thanks.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Burritos are good. Get the whistles.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I'm sure I knew this in my reckless youth, but the non-drug-and-alcohol-soaked mind of middle age can't call it up. What's the difference between Texas chili and other chili? (I'm not talking some of the unique chilis like New Mexico or Cincinnati.) I presume Texas chili is heavy on the beef, but is there anything else? Cumin, veggies, tabasco peppers, anything like that?
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
CranberryDog

Post by CranberryDog »

chas wrote:I'm sure I knew this in my reckless youth, but the non-drug-and-alcohol-soaked mind of middle age can't call it up. What's the difference between Texas chili and other chili? (I'm not talking some of the unique chilis like New Mexico or Cincinnati.) I presume Texas chili is heavy on the beef, but is there anything else? Cumin, veggies, tabasco peppers, anything like that?
Hello,

Texas Chili has no beans. The way I make involves these basic ingredients: 4 pounds of sirloin steak (sometimes I'll use venison); 20 habenero peppers; 10 pablano peppers; 20 chipolte peppers; 2 chopped onions; 10 minced garlic cloves; oregano; cumino, salt; olive oil and masa flour. I cube the meat and sear in a hot cast iron skillet. I soak the peppers, then puree and then simmer for awhile. When the peppers have combined into a thick sauce, I add the spices, onions and garlic. Then I add the meat and simmer for a few hours. I'll add the masa flour if I need to thicken. This will definitely make the top of your head sweat but should not cause respiratory failure.

That's about it. Of course there are many variations; but this recipe is pretty representative. Best.