LOW WHISTLES

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
pastorkeith
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

LOW WHISTLES

Post by pastorkeith »

New to whistling (less than a year) I love slow airs and tunes that really allow the Low D to sing with its haunting tone. After a LOW D what Low whistles would those "in the know" believe to be most useful?

Pastorkeith
"We cannot all do great things, but we can do small things with great love."-- Mother Teresa
A-Musing

Post by A-Musing »

Pastorkeith...
In what sort of "know?" And "useful" for what?
You-Me-Them-Us-IT. Anything Else?
pastorkeith

Low Whistles

Post by pastorkeith »

"In the know" was a nice way of saying - been playing low whistles longer than me, which is basically everyone. Most useful would be for playing airs and other slower pieces.

pastorkeith
"We cannot all do great things, but we can do small things with great love."-- Mother Teresa
blackhawk
antispam: No

Post by blackhawk »

Personally I like Bb and A for slow airs. Even C, for that matter, although I like Bb the best. But it's just personal taste. Most trad CDs have a slow air or two on them, and many of those are played on soprano D whistles. I do prefer them on lower keys, myself.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
emmline

Post by emmline »

I'm in the Bb camp with Blackhawk. It's just a register I particularly like.
King Friday

Post by King Friday »

Ronaldo Reyburn's low D's are known to have a very haunting tone. Mine is by far whistle I've ever played. They can be quite a stretch for someone new to low whistles, but Ronaldo will offset the bottom holes to make it easier if you want him to.
pipersgrip
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by pipersgrip »

i like Burke low d vipers, very good.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
A-Musing

Post by A-Musing »

Ok! I'm finally "in the know" around here! (marginal...)
I've played Low Whistles for a few years. Low D, Eb E, and F. These fit my hands, and offer the sound range I like. Copeland, Overton, Burke, and MK are my favorites. Every one of 'em is a "stand alone" whistle, in my humble opinion. I play one or several of them every day. Meditation. Enjoyment.

If Joy is useful.....then these great whistles are very useful to me!
You-Me-Them-Us-IT. Anything Else?
King Friday

Post by King Friday »

I should clarify. The space between the bottom two holes on a Reyburn is very large compared to most low whistles. I also have a Water Weasel low G which sounds amazing and easy to play if you can find one and a Guido Gonzato low F which is not a bad whistle at all. I had a Chieftain Gold low D that was out of this world good, but I got in a real pinch for money.
dyersituations

Re: LOW WHISTLES

Post by dyersituations »

pastorkeith wrote:New to whistling (less than a year) I love slow airs and tunes that really allow the Low D to sing with its haunting tone. After a LOW D what Low whistles would those "in the know" believe to be most useful?

Pastorkeith
I find a low G whistle very useful. My mother's singing range matches the range of this whistle. Also, I have heard a low F whistle sound really good on some fast tunes. Was it McGoldrick...I forget.

-Casey
Life is good.
Tony McGinley

Post by Tony McGinley »

Personally I really like the Low F. I have a Chieftan in F
and play it a good deal. The fingering is very easy on the F,
and it takes less puff than the D. Eoin Duignan uses the F
in his CD Lumina. He makes it sound terrific worth a listen.

In the end it is personal preference though.
Tony McGinley

<i><b>"The well-being of mankind,
its peace and security,
are unattainable unless and until
its unity is firmly established."
<i><b>
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Tony McGinley wrote: Eoin Duignan uses the F
in his CD Lumina. He makes it sound terrific worth a listen.
He makes everything sound terrific. He's the reason I got into whistling in the first place. He can tear your heart out with a slow air.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
ned o the hill

Other low whistles

Post by ned o the hill »

I often use a low G a lot in sesh. One guitarist tends to sing a lot of Scottish Death Songs in that key, or bang out tunes on his concertina in C/G. The alpha-male fiddler often segues into A minor tunes.

I tend to use it so much that it's now my avatar whistle.
(¯¯[]¯¯¯¯ ((¯¯¯¯¯¯¯o¯O¯o¯O¯O¯o¯¯¯¯)

Go gcoinní Dia i mbosa a láimhe thú

Ned o' the Hill
Low Whistler and Goat Whacker
Happy are the days

Post by Happy are the days »

pastorkeith wrote:New to whistling (less than a year) I love slow airs and tunes that really allow the Low D to sing with its haunting tone. After a LOW D what Low whistles would those "in the know" believe to be most useful?

Pastorkeith
It's been my experience that some low D's have a weak bottom hole. If you have large hands, I would buy one where the bottom hole is moved down and is opened up to be almost as large as the second hole. I don't like weak bell notes. I have a Copeland and I was discouraged that the bottom hole is weaker then the other two bottom holes or notes. I love the sound of the Copeland but I think I will sell it. I have a Chieftain Gold coming and I hope the bell note will be as strong as the other lower two notes. Good luck!!!
I'm new at this so I don't know what I'm doing. But I would like to find out where best can I sell my O'Riordan whistle???
Happy are the days

Post by Happy are the days »

Pastorkeith
It's been my experience that some low D's have a weak bottom hole. If you have large hands, I would buy one where the bottom hole is moved down and is opened up to be almost as large as the second hole. I don't like weak bell notes. I have a Copeland and I was discouraged that the bottom hole is weaker then the other two bottom holes or notes. I love the sound of the Copeland but I think I will sell it. I have a Chieftain Gold coming and I hope the bell note will be as strong as the other lower two notes. Good luck!!!
I'm new at this so I don't know what I'm doing. But I would like to find out where best can I sell my O'Riordan whistle???