Whistles and smoking...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Whistles and smoking...

Post by brewerpaul »

In case you need another reason to quit smoking...
Someone just sent me a beautiful Thin Weasel D which had been clogging badly to the point where the owner couldn't play it for more than a few minutes. I looked into the windway and saw some "stuff" which I couldn't dislodge with a scrap of cardboard, so I disassembled the head ferrule and fipple. They were both BLACK and crusted with what appeared to be congealed tobacco residue. It took alcohol and steel wool to remove this, plus a goodly application of elbow grease. Now, the whistle plays just fine.
Imagine that same stuff in your lungs... :cry:
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Wanderer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Re: Whistles and smoking...

Post by Wanderer »

brewerpaul wrote:In case you need another reason to quit smoking...
Someone just sent me a beautiful Thin Weasel D which had been clogging badly to the point where the owner couldn't play it for more than a few minutes. I looked into the windway and saw some "stuff" which I couldn't dislodge with a scrap of cardboard, so I disassembled the head ferrule and fipple. They were both BLACK and crusted with what appeared to be congealed tobacco residue. It took alcohol and steel wool to remove this, plus a goodly application of elbow grease. Now, the whistle plays just fine.
Imagine that same stuff in your lungs... :cry:
I used to be a smoker...taking up the whistle really helped me decide to quit in 1998.

I have bought a wooden whistle secondhand before that smelled strongly of smoke. Luckily, it wasn't as bad as the one you describe above, and within a month, you couldn't tell it had been owned by a smoker.
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
anam cara
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by anam cara »

That is soooo nasty.... Why anyone would want to smoke is beyond me :boggle: I've made it to college without even trying it, and I don't ever plan to.
Guinness

Post by Guinness »

Actually, I've always wondered if cigarette smoke could be used to look at how the air stream behaves for whistle making purposes. No, not planning to take up the habit (WhoA was enough).
dDave

Post by dDave »

Howdy,

Sure, but so could incense smoke.

Best,

Dave
Flogging Jason

Post by Flogging Jason »

Tobacco residue INSIDE the windway? Wouldn't that imply that the person was actually smoking whilst playing? I'm a smoker...probably always will be...but I could never think of of blowing smoke down my beloved whistles!! In fact, I make sure my lungs are completely free of smoke before playing.
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Guinness wrote:Actually, I've always wondered if cigarette smoke could be used to look at how the air stream behaves for whistle making purposes. No, not planning to take up the habit (WhoA was enough).
I've actually tried that in my early testing..heh

The smoke isn't really dense enough to see what's happening, not to mention you're not at a very angle to see it either.
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
Scott McCallister

Post by Scott McCallister »

dDave wrote:Howdy,

Sure, but so could incense smoke.

Best,

Dave
This wouldn't be any heathier than tobacco smoke. Smoke is smoke. Incense may be worse even because of the added puefuming chemicals.
There's and old Irish saying that says pretty much anything you want it to.

A-Musing

Post by A-Musing »

I smoked for decades, and like Wanderer the whistlling helped me quit. And, anan cara...yes, smoking is nasty. Some humans NEED nasty. Without getting clinical...some folks require a certain element of toxicity and/or self-destruction in their lives. Why do you suppose some wail away on a high G????
You-Me-Them-Us-IT. Anything Else?
Flogging Jason

Post by Flogging Jason »

A-Musing wrote:I smoked for decades, and like Wanderer the whistlling helped me quit. And, anan cara...yes, smoking is nasty. Some humans NEED nasty. Without getting clinical...some folks require a certain element of toxicity and/or self-destruction in their lives. Why do you suppose some wail away on a high G????
I don't consider my high G "self-destructive" but it does have an adverse effect on those around me....especially my kitties.

But yes....toxicity and self destruction are a must. I smoke cigarettes, drink booze, chase women(if I were single), and I have lots of tattoos. If I had a lisence I'd probably own a motorcycle...lol!
thistledown

Post by thistledown »

What about pipe smoking that occurs at most like, 4 times in a week? With brushed teeth afterwards?
A-Musing

Post by A-Musing »

Yo, Flog...
Sounds like your high G is your one concession to health and sanity. Truly remarkable, as I think.......wait a sec.......yes, I can actually HEAR the d**n thing from here...
(anam cara...avert your gaze...you could get smudged in a rough-hewn post like this.)
You-Me-Them-Us-IT. Anything Else?
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

A-Musing wrote:. Without getting clinical...some folks require a certain element of toxicity and/or self-destruction in their lives. Why do you suppose some wail away on a high G????
YOu haven't heard a Thin Weasel high G. No pain involved there at all-- just sweet, birdlike whistling.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Boody

Post by Boody »

I saw the Tossers play and their whistler was smoking while playing, I don't know how he was doing it. He was also so drunk Im suprised he could play.
Whistle Clips (Old, I really need to update these)
brianholton

Post by brianholton »

well, I quit smoking my pipe about 6 weeks ago, and so far, I can't taste anything nasty in my whistles.

I can feel a big change in my breathing though, which means that as I learn to breathe differently, I'm re-learning the subtleties of a lot of old tunes I've been playing for years.

That's nice.

Glad to be stopped, though I loved my baccy.....

b