low D recommendations

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
dahlilama
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

low D recommendations

Post by dahlilama »

I am an uilleann piper and play the penny whistle as well to an intermediate, but am interested in purchasing a Low D whistle. I know that there are may opinions out there, but I am interested in a low whistle that has a breathy flute-like sound but is still ornaments well. It appears from many of the posts that these two features of low whistles are mutually exclusive to some degree, but perhaps not. Any ideas from those with experience in these matters? Thanks.
TheSpoonMan

Post by TheSpoonMan »

My goodness, never knew we had such prominent people among us!

:P
dyersituations
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by dyersituations »

Out of the low Ds I've played (Chieftain, Old Burke, Kerry with black head, Syn, Songbird), the Kerry Songbird low D has the most flute-like tone. I like this low D, and if I was in the market, I'd buy one. People said they had clogging problems with the Songbird, but I didn't and I played it with one band I was in during rehearsal. The band enjoyed the whistle, but the Songbird was on tour. I've also heard that Copelands have flute-like tones, but they are more expensive than the Songbird, which is reasonable.

-Casey
Life is good.
dahlilama

Post by dahlilama »

Thanks Casey for your reply. I will look into this whistle.

Erik
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

From my own experiences, The Copeland is probably the most flute-like in sound but is terribly expensive. The other I thought was great was a Reyburn standard bore low d. Great sound and easy to play. I have a Chieftain low d that takes a lot of work to play. In other words, a lot of practice to get control of. It's not what I'd think of as flute sounding, either. Haven't tried a Songbird.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Check out the Sweet Resonance low Ds. Mine has a really flute like sound and ornaments nice and crisply . Looks beautiful too.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
shadoe42

Post by shadoe42 »

As always I would put in my vote for the Reyburn.
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Howards have a nice flutey tone.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
m31

Re: low D recommendations

Post by m31 »

dahlilama wrote:...I am interested in a low whistle that has a breathy flute-like sound but is still ornaments well. It appears from many of the posts that these two features of low whistles are mutually exclusive to some degree, but perhaps not...
Sorry to disagree but IMHO no low D whistle really sounds like an Irish flute. Perhaps not so for the listener and where a lot of reverb is involved, but from player's perspective, they're fairly (not vastly) dissimilar. I like to think of the low whistle as its own instrument.

Breathiness and ornaments can coexist. My Chieftain F is on the breathy side and the ornaments are snappy to my ears.
scheky

Re: low D recommendations

Post by scheky »

m31 wrote:
dahlilama wrote:...I am interested in a low whistle that has a breathy flute-like sound but is still ornaments well. It appears from many of the posts that these two features of low whistles are mutually exclusive to some degree, but perhaps not...
Sorry to disagree but IMHO no low D whistle really sounds like an Irish flute. Perhaps not so for the listener and where a lot of reverb is involved, but from player's perspective, they're fairly (not vastly) dissimilar. I like to think of the low whistle as its own instrument.

Breathiness and ornaments can coexist. My Chieftain F is on the breathy side and the ornaments are snappy to my ears.
Nobody is really stating that a low whistle sounds like a flute, it was just mentioned that the Copeland is the most similar to a flute in sound. In fact, to the non-musician, you would be hard pressed to tell the difference.

Personally, I'll back the Copeland Low D as the ultimate low whistle. The price tag, though, reflects this. Still, I'm a happy owner.
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

For an inexpensive low D with a great flute sound I vote for a Casey Burns Folk Flute. :D

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
King Friday

Post by King Friday »

Inexpensive? Maybe for a flute...
SRHill

Post by SRHill »

Hi,

I play the uilleanns too and play a Jon Swayne Low D whistle. It's not as breathy as a Copeland but has more back pressure which I like. Moreover, it doesn't have the clogging issues as with a Overton. The downside is it's even more expensive than a Copeland and it takes a long time to make.

Cheers!

Steve
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

I'm with Mr. Kiley: get a flute. That's what I did, and I don't even own a low whistle, anymore. :lol:

Still, I back the Reyburn as the only low D I've ever even liked.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
swizzlestick

Post by swizzlestick »

brewerpaul wrote:Check out the Sweet Resonance low Ds. Mine has a really flute like sound and ornaments nice and crisply . Looks beautiful too.
I would like to, but the Sweet tour seems to be on hold. :sniffle:

Oh well, would not have had the money before the holidays anyway. Maybe it's best not to have the temptation.
All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out. -- Mark Twain