expensive versus cheap whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

dDave wrote:Howdy,
Loren wrote: Thanks Dave, I can rest easy at last, knowing you're finally convinced
It's worse than you think - I own a recorder or two myself :wink:

[Just not one hand blessed by a Recorder Wonk]

Ah well then you simply don't know what you're missing :lol:

Loren
dDave
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by dDave »

Howdy,
Loren wrote:Ah well then you simply don't know what you're missing :lol:
Loren
It's not the knowing part that I have trouble with - it's the affording part! Every thousandth hand shaved from the ramp seems to bump the price up another $100 or so :lol:

Best,

Dave
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

dDave wrote:Howdy,
Loren wrote:Ah well then you simply don't know what you're missing :lol:
Loren
It's not the knowing part that I have trouble with - it's the affording part! Every thousandth hand shaved from the ramp seems to bump the price up another $100 or so :lol:

Best,

Dave

:lol: Seems that way, doesn't it! Sadly, little of that extra money ever found it's way into my pocket, ah well.

Now for anyone who has money to throw away, I'm happy to shave a thousandth of an inch off at half that price :P

Loren
Last edited by Loren on Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Look, the thing i absolutely LOVE about my Feadog is the brass they use in the tube is really bouncy! It has more response than any drumstick I have ever used and plays like no set of spoons ever could!

Oh, and it plays nice as a whistle as well. The G is a bit of a trial, but since I jammed some blue-tac in it that hasn't been a problem. I must admit though that the other Dawg I have seems better since I learned to control the G, it has a brighter response, but I still pick-up the tweaky when smootheness is required.

Tweakery still seems like a dark art to me - I have seen a few examples and appreciate the effect, but it still seems like a different instrument rather than a better one (with a few exceptions - notably one that long since ceased claiming to be a tweak).
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
emtor

bouncy brass

Post by emtor »

It has more response than any drumstick I have ever used and plays like no set of spoons ever could!
I agree. The quality of brass differs,-at least that's what makers of brass-instruments tell me. But . . . there's another material I've experimentet with: -Steel sheet they use when making paint-cans. I once made a whistle out of the before mentioned material, and it rung like a bell when I struck it.
This whistle had a different sound compared to whistles made from brass, a bell-like resonant sound. Too bad steel is so hard to solder compared to brass . . .
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

I was surprised to find that the quality of brass tubing can (but doesn't often) vary wildly. In a couple of instances, including one one very top of the line whistle, a whistle had to be completely replaced because the tubing, in addition to voicing issues in the head piece, was just "bad." I've noticed that most brass tubes seem to age the same gradual way and form that lovely patina but a couple (and strangely on whistles that may not sound as good as some others of the same make e.g.) age "poorly" and the brass almost gets a "rotten" look to it. I guess before this I always just assumed brass to be ...well....brass. Ya learn a lot from this whistle stuff.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
riverman

Post by riverman »

I think (and I know you think that what I think is extremely important!) that IT music allows us to use instruments that are, let's say, "rougher" than other types of music. The notes hit hard and fast.
Therefore playing jigs on a cheapie is, well, okay! But I often play slow airs and especially worship music.
Why would anybody use anything other than the best instrument they could afford?
So those who tweak instruments perform an invaluable service and should be blessed by us eternally.
"Whoever comes to me I will never drive away." --Jesus Christ.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

<Groan>

I was going to walk away from this thread.

This is how a Faedog sounds for me straight out of the box, randomly picked. This one is my son's practice whistle. It's not maybe the greatest whistle I ever played, I am not Feadog's greatest fan and it is a bit hissy in the octave. It does however not by a long shot sound like the soundclip in the advertisement. It may not be perfect, a learner can work away with it for years without a bother.

Traditional players do not accept raspy whistles by the way. The post above strikes me as unbelievably condescending.
I think (and I know you think that what I think is extremely important!) that IT music allows us to use instruments that are, let's say, "rougher" than other types of music. The notes hit hard and fast.
Therefore playing jigs on a cheapie is, well, okay!

anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Peter Laban wrote:<Groan>

This is how a Faedog sounds for me straight out of the box, randomly picked. This one is my son's practice whistle. It's not maybe the greatest whistle I ever played, I am not Feadog's greatest fan and it is a bit hissy in the octave. It does however not by a long shot sound like the soundclip in the advertisement. It may not be perfect, a learner can work away with it for years without a bother.

Traditional players do not accept raspy whistles by the way. Above post strikes me as unbelievably condescending.
Lovely! Certainly proves that a cheapy can sound excellent when the player knows what the heck they are doing.

Once again, the stress needs to be on learning to play, rather than which whistle.

When you learn around a difficulty (for example, my water weasel has a tendancy to be difficult to get the high a and b on without a hideous honk) you are becoming a better player. I have to play it differently than my Burke DBSBT, or my Jerry Tweeked Mellow Dog, or my neighbor's Busman, or my friend's Thin Weasel. All sound best when played well by a good whistler. All sound like crap when played by a crappy one. We're all basically crappy players until we've put in the time and effort to get good.

Beginners can get confused about what it is that is wrong with their playing, and though occaisionally it might be a poor whistle, it is usually just inexperience and lack of skill. Unfortunately for most of us, a teacher is not close at hand. The idea that owning a whistle that is most likely not going to give problems is a really attractive one, as then you can know with reasonable certainty that it is your technique, and then focus on that rather than feel like you are battling something that may not be necessary.

If you can afford a good high end whistle, by all means get one, but do your homework first. Just keep in mind that high end whistles are not necessarily better than a good cheap one.

My serious advice would be to just keep playing and practicing, and listening, and playing and listening, and practicing ... you get the picture. .. get the most out of whatever whistle you have, and don't expect to be as good as the big guys in any small number of years. You get to be as good as *you* can get, and that takes a lifetime.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

Thanks Peter. I hate to think what you could do with a "good" one.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Peter Laban wrote:<Groan>

Traditional players do not accept raspy whistles by the way. The post above strikes me as unbelievably condescending.
Therefore playing jigs on a cheapie is, well, okay!

Thanks Peter for the timely (for me) reminder of how lovely a bit of slow can be...

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

250 hits since I posted that clip but no reaction from the expensive/tweak side of the discussion?
except for the usual digs and cheap shots in other threads of course

Point taken so?

Last edited by Cayden on Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Sliabh Geal na gCua...one of my favorite airs. Well done indeed. Thank you, Peter.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Screeeech!!!

Post by Screeeech!!! »

I would like to ask Peter, what model of feadog it was?

?
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Latest one. Bought it in Custy's two years ago for my son, I played maybe five out of the jar in the shop and they were all about the same so took a random one. The whistle has taken a bit of abuse but works about the same way as it did when we bought it.

This is the one, bitemarks and all:

To be honest it wouldn't be my first choice of whistle but it is perfectly adequate for all sort of uses in all sort of situations.

Last friday Brid O Donohue invited me as a guest to play for an after class session with her pupils. About thirty turned up for the session, aged from 7 to 16. We took turns, Brid myself and Kitty Hayes playing tunes in C for them on pipes flute and concertina and the group or parts of the group playing a few on whatever they brought (mostly whistles but there were about six flutes, seven concertinas a few fiddles, a piper, a harper etc). Brid and myself were the only expensive whistleowners, both of us playing Sindts. Most of the pupils had Generations with Nickel as a majority but there were Feadogs and the odd Clare as well. At some point we asked who wanted to play a tune and a very keen ten or eleven year old jumped up and played the four part Farewell to Ireland, joined by three or four of his friends, all whistles and all the same age group. It was just lovely and it made a mockery of anyone maintaining a cheap whistle is not good enough to learn on or not good enough to sound great on.