I got a Busman!!!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
whistlin'fool
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by whistlin'fool »

sweet thanks a bunch
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

PhilO wrote:Funny thing Loren, I always use the ultra fine and finish with a jeweler's cloth on my brass whistles when I ocassionally want to spiff them up, including the slides and that's been great for 10 years. I was afraid to use the jeweler's cloth on the Abell slide and the steel wool seems to work so nicely - I've only done it once and very lightly just to remove grit and it doesn't seem as though that slide will get loose in my lifetime. But I'll be guided; does the jeweler's cloth leave any residue? I was actually more concerned about that. The Abell slide on this delrin D/C set is about the tightest I've ever experienced that still works. Guess I'll drop Chris a line and see what he recommends as well.

THanks for the concern Loren; this is one of my favorite whistles.

Philo

Phil, both the jeweler's and instrument silver polishing cloths have two parts/sides- one side is impregnated with the polishing compound, and the other side is used to buff and clean off the residue. The cloth I've used for the last few years is a Bach brand instrument polishing cloth (# 1878) made for silver and nickel. This cloth is distributed by the selmer instrument company, and is available at tons of mail order places and most music stores that sell wood/brass instruments. I've been using this on my Abell, and other instruments for years - everytime my Abell slide gets a little tarnished, it starts to act up, a couple of minutes with the polishing cloth and the slide is back to normal and all the rings and the mouthpiece looks like new again as well. Plus, the slide never gets looser, because I'm not actually removing any significant amount of silver, like you will with even the mildest steel wool.

Here's a link to several places that sell this particular cloth: http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=Bac ... tnG=Search

Loren
Jim W

Post by Jim W »

FWIW, the (brass) socket and tenon on my saxophone begin to bind when tarnish builds up. I just wipe it off with an available piece of old t-shirt or sheet or a cotton handkerchief; have had the horn for close to forty years, and it doesn't seem to have been harmed.
anniemcu
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

What a day for Busmans, eh? My neighbor got hers yesterday too, and saved 5 of the 15 minutes of break-in time for the day for me... :D Bless her!!

Wow! I've seen a lot of them in pics, but this is the first I've met in person with enough time to actually get in close and personal like... Beautiful in African Blackwood... really black... very, very nice. I'm waiting for 'flush'ness and some of the local Osage Orange I've been promised. (I hope Paul's price doesn't notice inflation between now and then. :D )

Excellent whistle.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Kansas

Re: I got a Busman!!!

Post by Kansas »

whistlin'fool wrote:Hey all I recieved my Busman cocobolo D whistle yesterday and holy cow is it beautiful just to look at.
~Joe
Ain't they wonderful? !! Take care of it, the wood just gets better and better with use (in beauty I mean).
Clann O' dubh Ghaill / Doyle
whistlin'fool

Post by whistlin'fool »

Oh don't worry about me taking care of it, i waited an entired day before putting it together just to make sure i wasn't missing something (like lubricant) the whole day all i did was sit there and look at it. I really enjoyed playing it for twenty minutes today. It's slightly airy in the second octave (meaning that the notes aren't all tone but has "white noise" behind it, can't figure out how to describe it) but i'm sure it's my fault in possibly over blowing it. Twenty minutes of practice isn't enough to figure out much on my first run though. But what i did learn is that the first octave is amazing. I love it how the whistle seems to vibrate in my hands when you hit the right resonate frequency of each note. I can't wait till tomorrow to try another twenty minutes :D
ConnieS

Post by ConnieS »

What are you using to oil the wood on that pretty Busman? I use a blend of sweet almond oil and a few drops of vitamin E oil, (ten parts almond, one part E), on my Greenwood cocobolo, and now it smells almost as great as it looks. The look...the feel...the smell...the sound...a complete sensory experience. :thumbsup:
whistlin'fool

Post by whistlin'fool »

I'm using bore oil, purchased from a music shop down the street to oil the whole thing. I figure it'll do the trick and i don't have to worry about mixing anything incorrectly. I gotta treasure and pamper this one. :D
ConnieS

Post by ConnieS »

Absolutely treasure it!! There's nothing like the sound of a nicely oiled wood whistle. :)
patrickh

Post by patrickh »

What a day for Busmans, eh?
Just got my new Busman C today in Satinwood/Stainless. It is a very lovely instrument, purchased through www.whistleanddrum.com (Blayne is great to deal with).

Top notch craftmanship and the Satinwood is really unique looking (a tanish color with wood grain apprears that darker or lighter as you hold it at different angles). I had a ball using up my 20 mins today. Can't wait until tomorrow.