Who are we? (a little OT)

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Chuck_Clark
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Chuck_Clark »

My, my, the 'Tinwhistlers' Day Jobs' thread resurfaces and is 19 pages long.

So here's another one for you. We play (some would say obsess over) an Irish instrument. Most of the songs we talk about are Celtic in origin. So is it in the blood? I'm wondering how many of us are all or part Irish. And since I'm at it, what else is there?

I'll even start it - these are the provable strains: English, Irish, German, Scottish, Filipino, Spanish and probably some Chinese.
Its Winter - Gotta learn to play the blues
avanutria
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

My maternal side is Italian. My paternal great grandmother immigrated from County Roscommon. The rest of me is German, English, French, and Norwegian, though we don't know where my last name comes from yet. It could be Irish but the line disappears in Brooklyn in the 1800s.
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

I'm 7/8 Irish, 1/8 whatever Indian comes from Ardmore, OK.
Karina

Post by Karina »

Hm. This could get complicated...
My grandmother is half Latvian, half Russian, and my grandfather is Hungarian. My other grandparents are both Swedish, except for a small strain of English, which comes from half of my great-grandmother's blood...But there is a possibility that someone was Irish, because my 6th great-grandfather was Timothy Hierlihy, who possibly led an Irish brigade in the Americas before the Revolutionary War...
madguy

Post by madguy »

English on my maternal side, and Irish on my paternal side. Maybe that's why I'm always fighting with myself? lol
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

I have a Federal "Indian blood" card, as well as a tribal membership. That's official and provable. I am of Scottish descent through that same line. I also have Irish ancestry on both sides of the family, though the tinwhistle is not particularly an Irish instrument. It's just popular there. Clarke and Generation, the two oldest makes in production, both come from England.
Reasonable person
Walden
johnz

Post by johnz »

I'm almost 100% German. Three of my grandparents were all German, the other was a mix of I don't know what.Family history says I'm related to W.T. Sherman of union civil war fame although I havn't looked into this to verify it.I also heard that there was indian in the family but it was in vogue years ago to claim this, so I don't know whether it's true or not.
Take care, John S. Zimmerer
DON'T DRINK SOAP!
KEEP OUT OF EYE!
DILUTE! DILUTE!
OK!
DazedinLA

Post by DazedinLA »

80 lbs. Chinese
40 lbs. ScotsIrish
42 lbs. German

My chinese grandfather rode shotgun on stagecoaches and associated with train robbers in Wyoming...on more than one occasion he sheltered his neer' do-well friends from the Pinkertons in the basement of his house. Health care for my dad and his siblings came from an Indian medicine man that PoPo (grandma) didnt like and wouldnt let into the house. By contrast, my Dad was an aerospace engineer and raised us in suburban Silicon Valley...so my childhood was much more stable, secure and comforatable, but somehow seems very plain in comparison.
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Hey Kev, I didn't know you were from here. Where'd you go to high school?
DazedinLA

Post by DazedinLA »

On 2002-09-15 07:39, blackhawk wrote:
Lynbrook High in Saratoga.

You?
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

On 2002-09-15 08:03, DazedinLA wrote:
On 2002-09-15 07:39, blackhawk wrote:
Lynbrook High in Saratoga.

You?
Pioneer in San Jose. Hey, we were neighbors. We should have gotten together and done some whistling...if we had known whistles existed back then. :smile:
Loren
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Half Russian, part Irish, part Scottish, part English - Verified descendant of the same bloodline as the infamous Privateer Sir Francis Drake. Unverified descendant of The Dread Pirate Roberts. However I can scale sheer rockwalls with no ropes, fence both right and left handed, and fight giants quite well....

Loren
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

On my Dad's side, Scottish, and some English.

On my Mom's side, English, Irish, and a small amount of Native American, though what nation is not now known.

Translation: like most Americans, I'm a mongrel. <grin>

Best to all,

--James
http://www.flutesite.com
carrie

Post by carrie »

1/4 Scots-Irish
1/4 German
1/2 Russian

All grandparents born overseas.
rebl_rn

Post by rebl_rn »

I'm 1/2 Polish, 1/4 Lithuanian, and 1/4 German. But I was adopted by my 1/2 Irish, 1/2 Swedish (with a few other things thrown in) stepfather when I was 10, so I claim my Irish heritage in that way. And if nothing else, I claim that I am IBM - Irish By Music. (A local band around here wrote a song by that name).

Beth