C-natural hole for 2nd ocatve?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Bretton
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

C-natural hole for 2nd ocatve?

Post by Bretton »

Hi. I've never played a whistle with a thumb-hole for c-natural, but I'm wondering if it can be used (uncovered slightly) to make the 2nd octave easier to hit and sweeter sounding (like on a recorder).

-Brett
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Despite my assurances that fingering C as OXXOOO or as a half holed C# really IS easy, I had one customer who insisted on a C nat thumbhole. It worked OK, but it didn't seem to function like a recorder thumbhole (I'm a pretty avid recorder player too).
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peeplj »

I have a whistle (a Hoover) with a C-natural thumbhole.

It works as advertised (produces a perfectly-in-tune C-natural in both octaves), but I've not found much other use for it.

It will not act as an octave vent like a recorder's thumb hole. I believe this to be because of its altered location on whistle vs recorder, and because of the bore differences between the two.

There is one other use for the C-natural whistle thumbhole: like the long C key on a flute, you can vent it to bring a sustained C-sharp up to pitch. On whistle this isn't as big a deal as it is on flute, because on some flutes the second octave C-sharp is quite flat.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
Trip-
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Trip- »

on my whistles,

OXOXXX works great for 2nd octave C nat.
Thomas-Hastay
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Thomas-Hastay »

The Whistle and the Recorder are "apples & oranges". The Whistle has a cylindrical bore and the Recorder has a tapered conical bore.

The Whistle achieves register changes by overblowing and the Recorder by cancellation of the fundamental register using the thumbhole pinching technique.

Because the Whistle has a cylindrical bore, it becomes progressively flat with each register change (phase-shift) but it has a greater range. The Recorder uses the tapered conical bore to compensate for flatness in the upper registers but is limited to 2.5 octaves.
"The difference between Genius and stupidity, is that Genius has its limits" (Albert Einstein)
thomashastay@yahoo.com
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

Thomas-Hastay wrote: ...........
The Recorder uses the tapered conical bore to compensate for flatness in the upper registers but is limited to 2.5 octaves.
I have been playing whistles for over 40 years and I have never played a whistle whose range exceeds 2.5 octaves, mostly only up to third octave's mediant.

C thumbholes are good for D tubes except that you can not piper grip with your left hand properly. If that is not an issue for you I would recommend the thumbhole without qualification. I have one on my Irish flute and tape over it when I need to play music with full pipers' grip.
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit