Hoovers...opinions

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Flogging Jason
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Hoovers...opinions

Post by Flogging Jason »

I found a good deal on a brass tuneable Hoover Low G. I'd really like to have another low whistle in a different key but I havn't heard much about Hoovers. I listened to a sample on his site and it sounds nice, but I have read that they are quiet. if so, how quiet are they? I like to perform on the street and I like being heard for blocks away.
preacher
Tell us something.: I am in my 70s and played music since fourth grade. Paid gigs include everything starting with church solos in 4th grade, nightclubs starting 9th grade, and worship ministry. Had a 29 year career teaching high school music both choral and instrumental. I've played several instruments starting with trumpet as my main ax. I added flute, sax and keys after college. Early 2000s whistles were added to my arsenal. I'm back to playing again after a 5 year hiatus.

Post by preacher »

I also like my whistles loud and Mack can make his acceptably loud. His PVC whistles in lower keys is what I'm familiar with. I have a B that he made for me that keeps up with guitar players (with a decent mike). I also have a Low E the has a full rich tone. Recently he sent me a Bb And A which are louder thn comparable Chieftain and Dixon -but the loudness on these is not what you call piercing just full and thick. Hope this helps
King Friday
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by King Friday »

I'm also interested in a Hoover, but since I have plently of loud whistles I want the quietest one he makes. I live with 3 other people and stay up about 3 hours later so I need to stay quiet. Which is his most quiet one?
jglover

Post by jglover »

King Friday wrote:... I want the quietest one he makes. I live with 3 other people and stay up about 3 hours later so I need to stay quiet. Which is his most quiet one?
Good question, I'm also interested in a quiet whistle for exactly the same reasons here! Hoovers have consistently turned up as having a quiet signature, but how quiet compared to say a Sweetone D?
swizzlestick

Post by swizzlestick »

As a most happy owner of several of Mack's whistles in several keys, I think only one is what you would call a quiet whistle. And that's what I asked for. The rest are more or less middle of the road when it comes to loudness. And I have one Bb PVC whistle that seems twice as loud as a Gen Bb.

If I have to keep it down, my soft voiced whitecap still needs a bit of tape over part of the window, but it's not one of the super quiet ones.

Maybe this reputation for soft, sweet whistles is based on his earlier work, the narrow bore, all brass ones. But I can't say since I have never played one.

If you give Mack a call, he will try to build to your needs.
All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out. -- Mark Twain
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

I have an aluminum Hoover low G. I can be heard maybe 8 feet out and makes for a poor busking whistle. Mack may be able to build one to spec, but if it is a used whistle, another brand would be a better idea.
Dave Parkhurst

Post by Dave Parkhurst »

I tried a Hoover whitecap.... nice whistle.
DAve
"Fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom..."
rodfish

Post by rodfish »

I have a brass narrow bore D from Mack and I can play it to my heart's content in a hotel room; it's that quiet.

But it does take some getting used to; very easy to overblow.
"A word aptly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver."
jkrazy52

Post by jkrazy52 »

I have a brass C of Mack's, plus some PVC whistles, couple of whitecaps .... all good whistles; some quiet -- some not. Swizzlestick has the best idea. Contact Mack, tell him what sound you need. He can build one to match your requirements. He may also be able re-voice a used one. Contact him and ask. He's a wonderful person to deal with!

Judy
Flogging Jason

Post by Flogging Jason »

thanks for the advice. It is a used whistle I was looking at here on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

Good luck if you're interested. I think I'll keep my eyes open for something louder. Thanks again.

P.S. Since many of you are avid owners perhaps you could write a review for Dale!
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

swizzlestick wrote: Maybe this reputation for soft, sweet whistles is based on his earlier work, the narrow bore, all brass ones. But I can't say since I have never played one.

If you give Mack a call, he will try to build to your needs.

I think this is the case. His brass whistles are known for being quiet. The whitecaps (and black tops) can be made custom for quiet or moderate volumes. I have a D whitecap that's about as loud as my Gen, and a Bb whitecap that's about the same. Great whistles, of average volume. I'd guess the G for sale is pretty quiet, though.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
walrii

Post by walrii »

Tell Mack what you want. I asked him for a Whitecap on a Feadog tube that was very quiet for playing in hotel rooms. He delivered the quiet and it's also the nicest overall whistle I own.
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.