Just got myself a Feadog D whistle!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
kevinwska
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Just got myself a Feadog D whistle!

Post by kevinwska »

So I've been playing music as long as I can remember. In fact I'm a percussion major in college.
I play a number of other instruments but lately I've been wanting to get into more "folk" style instruments. So my newest choice was getting a tin whistle. I've always dug the sound! I hope to use it in my solo ska project soon.

My choice for starting was the Feadog. Though I had heard its not the best choice for the beginer but I like the sound and the construction; the price made it a done deal.

I havn't had too many problems with the second octive until I get to the B and I have some issues keeping a steady low D. But I know that will work out with some time.

The only thing I have an issue with is tuning. The whistle is a little sharp and I had heard the Feadog didnt come with the fipple glued on. Well I don't think thats the case with mine because it won't budge. I've tried the hot water several times and I don't want to keep going in fear or warping my only whistle. Anyone have any other suggestions?
crookedtune
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by crookedtune »

The only advice I'd give is not to be afraid to lean into it. Warmed up, it should budge, and if it cracks you're only out a few bucks anyway. That's the primary benefit of the cheap whistles.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
kevinwska

Post by kevinwska »

When I pick up another D whistle I'll give such an idea a try. But since I have one and have to order another one if this one does break I figured I'd see if someone had a different solution then elbow grease.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

the whistles give us just as much trouble as we can give them right back
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

I absolutely love feadogs! Mine is a realy beat-up green painted one, I got the blu tac under the windway there. And when I dont' know the tune, I can tap quietly with it on my boot or the table - the Feadog has more bounce than any other whistle (great for triplets and "paradiddles") - I use my lighter to tap left hand and the Feadog for right - can't afford a bodhran so some spoon-style tapping helps me understand the beat - If I get any sideways looks from the fiddler I stop and listen to where the beat is. When I know the tune, the old Feadog's right there to play-along nicely in-tune, without getting too "out there" - I use my Syn for that :) , Can't imagine life without my "dawg"! It's as good a tool as my old hammer that I found on the road one day.

(edited to say: I have found all mass produced whistles to be sharp if you take the bell-note for reference - I think it's something to do with "flat is more noticeable than sharp" or maybe it's that the machine that crams the body onto the head gets worn and "over-crams" after a few hundred thousand whistles. Maybe someone here knows for sure?)
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

I'm still waiting for my Feadog to arrive from Ireland, its been over 2 weeks now :sniffle: Hope the mail man didnt forget how to get to africa :cry:
Where ever ye go, never take an idiot with you - ye can always pick one up when you get there :)
Ostekjeks

Post by Ostekjeks »

Gavin wrote:I'm still waiting for my Feadog to arrive from Ireland, its been over 2 weeks now :sniffle: Hope the mail man didnt forget how to get to africa :cry:
Hang in there! I've been waiting for my pipes for almost a week now. The waiting, the horror, the pain!
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

I picked up a nickel plated Feadog D at Lark in the Morning when I was in San Francisco on vacation last month. I scraped out a little excess plastic and did the blue tac tweak and it's a great whistle. Not the same as my Sindt but still enjoyable to play. I have found that, even though it has been 85-90 degrees (F) and 70% humidity, the Feadog still likes to warmed up a bit before getting its best tone. About 2-3 minutes and the tone goes from scratchy to smooth.

I bought a Walton's brass D at the Cleveland Irish Cultural Festival last weekend. I did the standard tweak (see above). At this point I have to say that I don't like the Walton as much as the Feadog. Maybe I just haven't found its sweet spot but I've had Waltons before and I never quite got used to them.

I have been playing a Sindt for several years now and I find it interesting going to a cheap wistle. I seems to me that the cheapies demand better breath control and breath support. If you let up just a little bit the sound wavers and gets that "tin can" sound. I find it much less work to play the Sindt and get a good tone out of it.
Mike
monkey587

Post by monkey587 »

I have a few feadogs, and the most recent one I bought is sharp and also has an immobile fipple, and it's the only one I've had like that. The standard removal methods just didn't work and the tube was starting to discolor, so since it's the best sounding one I've got, I decided to just leave it as it is. It turns out that it can be played in tune just using breath control, anyway.
William Bajzek