I love my Burke!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
ketida
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by ketida »

I got my brass D today :party: Proof positive that checking the mail box multiple times daily really does speed delivery! (the joke here being that I am a USPS delivery person...)

But seriously, it was in my hands exactly 7 days after placing the order online. Also, on the Burke website, there's a place to check the status of your order (which I will also admit to checking 2 or more times daily). My order is right now, still showing as "in que". Considering the quality of the lovely whistle now in my possession, I forgive the website's lag.

Oh, and, I LOVE MY BURKE !
riverman

Post by riverman »

I played a Clarke Original D for six months before ordering my Burke brass session D. When I got it, my daughter, who plays the flute quite well, said, "All the problems I was going to tell you about [with your playing] went away when you got your new whistle!"
"Whoever comes to me I will never drive away." --Jesus Christ.
Buckeye67

Post by Buckeye67 »

Instead of creating yet another "what whistle should I buy" thread, I'll ask here. :)

I've been in the market for a Low F whistle and from reading through threads here it seems like folks like Burkes and Albas quite a lot. I'm leaning more toward a Burke at this point, but don't know whether I'd rather do the aluminum or composite. The sound sample on MB's website of Jerry O'Sullivan playing the aluminum low F sounds nice enough, but I'm wondering if the composite would sound "woodier" or have a bit of a more complex tone.

Has anyone played (or does anyone have) a Burke composite low F? If so, how do you like it?

Thanks,

-Larry
JessieK
antispam: No

Post by JessieK »

I have a composite Low F from one of Mike's first batches of whistles (years ago) that is unbelievable. It's fluid and easy and when played in the upper parts of the second octave (and even into the third) it plays as well as if that were the bottom octave of the whistle (no strain whatsoever). I used it in a recording once and I had to play something on a Low F and something on a high F. I did both parts on the Low F. It's not a loud whistle and it's not deeply resonant, but it certainly dances. That said, I sold the whistles around that one (Low D, G, A, etc. from the same batch) because they were unremarkable. I do know that the design has changed since those originals, but the composites remain very playable whistles, and more interesting in tone, in my opinion, than the aluminum ones in the lower keys.
~JessieD
Tril Bluejacket

Post by Tril Bluejacket »

I was all set to order a Burke DAN-D aluminum narrow bore whistle from Mr. Burke's website, but first I need to decide if I want a thumbhole and a roll case.

What does a thumbhole do? Is a thumbhole a good thing? And what is a roll case? (I suppose I don't need to tell you all I'm rather new to the whistle!)

Thanks for any advice. (Reading this thread is what convinced me to buy a Burke. :) )
"We are part of a symbiotic relationship with something which disguises itself as an extra-terrestrial invasion so as not to alarm us."
-Terence McKenna
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

You don't need a thumbhole. It would give you an alternate (Boehm-style) fingering of C natural.

I don't think the case really matters, either.
~JessieD
Tril Bluejacket

Post by Tril Bluejacket »

Thanks, JessieK. :)
"We are part of a symbiotic relationship with something which disguises itself as an extra-terrestrial invasion so as not to alarm us."
-Terence McKenna
Wanderer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

The thumbhole on whistles always bugs me..it's never where I want to naturally rest my thumb.

Old dog, new tricks, all that