pub sessions and alcohol abstinence

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Romulo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

pub sessions and alcohol abstinence

Post by Romulo »

Maybe I'd better had this posted at the "poststructural pub", anyway I was just wondering how many people usually go to sessions and don't drink any alcohol. Usually there is this strong association between a session in a pub and alcohol and many justify its presence even with a certain "lyrism", being a constant in songs, jokes, poems, etc.

Actually I have never been to a session :oops: and I worry I would be a boring company exactly because I don't drink and maybe wouldn't match in an environment where everybody else is drinking. Of course people can argue that alcohol can be a tool for communication and that's very true here in Japan. There is even a pun saying "nomunication" (contraction of the verb NOMU - to drink and communication), pointing the importance that they give to drinking and socializing. Because of that, sometimes I'm left apart and considered weird.

On the other hand, without wanting to offend fellow alcohol lovers, I find quite weird that some people depend on that for happiness, when (in a session) for me the main event and main source of fun would be the music itself, being the alcohol totally dispensable.

I'm tempted by the idea of travelling around, listening and getting experience in pubs, but I just wonder how weird it could get to be in a pub and order everything else but alcohol (or is that normal?) just to be able to be there to listen to the music.
:-?
Tom Dowling
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, I've been a contributor and visitor to this site since 2001. At one time or another, one of my photographs was the opening page photograph. My teacher was Bill Ochs. I play the Penny Whistle. Not a lot else to say.

Post by Tom Dowling »

This is (or should be) a non-issue and it should not stand between you (or anyone else) and the music.

Please check your e-mail.

Thanks,

Tom D.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I go to sessions and often don't drink any alcohol at all.

I agree: this is a non-issue. No one will notice or care if you drink a soda -- or water, or even nothing at all -- instead of an alcoholic beverage.

Go to the session, ignore what other people are drinking, and have fun playing the music and interacting with the other musicians!

Best wishes,

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Most likely thing people say when you don't drink is 'nod,nod wink wink say no more, how long are you dry now?' :P

edit to add :

That said, there is a definite drinking culture in Ireland and around Irish music with alcoholism rampant. I don't drink a drop and it's never a problem but you need to fend off the free pints sometimes and make it very clear you really don't want them. It's not a problem. Most pubs are quite happy to make you a cup of tea if it's not busy, loads of soft drink available otherwise.
Last edited by Cayden on Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

The closest session here is in a coffee & sandwich shop. The coffe is free for those playing music.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

I agree with not letting it be a real issue for yourself. Go, have fun, stick to your guns, and absorb the music.

I would probably have a Stout if we sessioned in a place that served it, as I really enjoy one now and again... no more than that though, as I know that I don't get better as I get 'tighter'... but 'luckily' we session in a Pizza joint :lol: so soft drinks are the norm. (I don't consider most readily available alcoholic brew offered in the average place in our area to even be worthy of drinking :wink: )

I used to participate in jam sessions that *always* included an abundance of imbibables, and very little was made about the fact that not everyone took advantage of it... it was the music that was most important... very few people 'need' "fiddler grease" to play, and most that have more than a bit actually get worse, not better, so it is not usually a big pressure thing.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Dave Parkhurst

Post by Dave Parkhurst »

Not a problem when I was in the UK. I wouldn't assume that players are dependant on ETOH for their happiness. It's just a social thing, and I agree that there's no hard feelings if you don't want to drink.
Dave
"Fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom..."
a.mellifera

Post by a.mellifera »

I've never had a problem not ordering alcohol in a pub or bar. When I've been the designated driver I've even been offered free soft drinks. The fact that you don't drink shouldn't dissuade you from attending a session.
greg

Post by greg »

while i eNjoooy mi drink m-ore) than most after one drink i cant play a darn thing if i were up to playing a session i certainly wouldnt drink untill it was over
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

anniemcu wrote:(I don't consider most readily available alcoholic brew offered in the average place in our area to even be worthy of drinking :wink: )

Yeah-- it's association with Clydsdales is very apt. :D
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Don't drink, and don't be ashamed of not doing so. The music, and participating in it, should be intoxicating enough.
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

I am underage, so I never drink, but there's several people at our session who I've never seen drink a bit of alcohol.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Crysania

Post by Crysania »

I go to sessions all the time and don't drink. In fact, in my 30 years of life I've never touched alchohol -- just a personal decision.

I've always felt welcome at sessions and never felt like anyone thought I was boring because I didn't drink (except one jerk, but he doesn't count for much). I regularly attend a small, closed session and of the 6 regular members, 2 never drink and 1 very rarely has anything except diet soda. No one has ever said anything bad to us about our lack of alcoholic consumption.

~Crysania
<i>~`~"I have nothing to say and I'm saying it." <blockquote>-- John Cage~`~</blockquote></i>
Screeeech!!!

Post by Screeeech!!! »

I would have thought there would be a lot of people driving to sessions, and i would hope they don't drink either.

?
Azalin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Azalin »

The only "problem" with not drinking is that it seems buying rounds is a cultural thing in Ireland. I know someone who accepted a pint the first round, mostly to be polite, but stopped drinking after that. It didnt sit well with a few fellows. So, as Peter is saying, you need to fend off the rounds agressively, some people can't even conceive the idea that you might not be drinking, it's as if you were telling them you were not breathing. Also we need to keep in mind that there's often a social aspect to music. If you just sit down with some folks you don't know, don't say much, don't drink and only play tunes, it might be seen as a lack of motivation to integrate. But if you talk to them and try to know them, etc, it won't matter if you're drinking water or Pepsi :-)

My own "problem" is that I don't really like beer much but like "girly drinks" like Bailey's Coffee, hot Port, rhum & coke, etc, so lot of people are making fun of me, but I often resist social pressure and keep on drinking girly drinks!