Whistles en français

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
catachrest
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Whistles en français

Post by catachrest »

Hi everyone,

Does anyone here speak French?

I am considering trying to translate my group's website into french, but am unsure how best to translate my whistle. My french teachers have told me I should go with "flute irlandais" but we also have an Irish Flute (sideblown, black, etc), and I don't know how to differentiate the two in a way that would make sense in French and make it clear which was which.
I've been told that "siffle" which is literally whistle, doesn't work as well.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Catachrest
canpiper

Post by canpiper »

Well, you might call it a flageolet, but there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with 'le Whistle':

http://www.lecoant.com/
bradhurley

Re: Whistles en français

Post by bradhurley »

You could use "pipeau," but that's not really what we call a whistle. As far as I know, most French speakers (in Canada, France, and elsewhere) use the English term and call it "le whistle."

Brother Steve's Whistle pages has a French version, and you could have a look at that for starters.
Whitmores75087

Post by Whitmores75087 »

In both Spanish and French it's known as an Irish Flute. Flute Irlandaise in French.
Short bio: 1952-
Aanvil
antispam: No

Post by Aanvil »

Le tooter avec six trous

or you can be a little more historic

Le whistle qui est meilleure qu'un galoubet.

You might want to ask a native speaker.

;) :D
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
Sylvester

Post by Sylvester »

I'd just write 'whistle' or 'tin whistle' since most of ITM fans will know the meaning of that. It is true that in some translations to Spanish, the whistle is referred to as 'Irish flute' but that leads to misunderstanding and I particularly hate that inaccuraccy.

If you don't have the words, just use the proper native one rather than long inexpressive describing sentences such as (small tin or wood or plastic diatonic flute with six holes...).

That's my 0.5 cent.
Reel
Asturian Air

Audare est Facere
StevieJ
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

I've also seen it spelled as "le ouissel" - for fun of course.
emmline

Post by emmline »

pm Azalin, on this forum, as he's one of the several French Canadians, and would know what they call it there.

We have several French members, but I haven't heard from them recently. Oh, Claudine. PM her.
StevieJ
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

emmline wrote:pm Azalin, on this forum, as he's one of the several French Canadians, and would know what they call it there.
Not necessary, Emm. Brad and I live in the same city as Az and we know what he and the rest of us call the thing - "le whistle." Anyway he's at the Catskills this week and would be slow to respond.

In any case, what we call it in conversation may or may not be the best choice for a website, depending on the intended audience and level of formality. FWIW the lads who translated Brother Steve are both French-from-France, living in Montreal at the time, and they chose "tin-whistle" for starters, and "whistle" thereafter.

If you want further corroboration, ferret around in http://fr.groups.yahoo.com/group/irishwhistle/.

Steve
catachrest

Post by catachrest »

Thank you everyone!!! That really does help a lot. Merci beaucoup! :)

So, if we call a whistle "le whistle", would flute irlandais then be understood to refer to the (transverse) Irish flute?
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

catachrest wrote:Thank you everyone!!! That really does help a lot. Merci beaucoup! :)

So, if we call a whistle "le whistle", would flute irlandais then be understood to refer to the (transverse) Irish flute?
The transverse Irish flute would be "la flûte irlandaise" and I've heard it referred to that way both here and in France, although people also call it "la flûte traversière en bois" (transverse flute in wood), which is more accurate (unless your flute happens to be made of plastic!) You can also call it flûte à système simple (simple-system flute) which distinguishes it from the Boehm-system flute that is commonly used today.
hydromel89

Post by hydromel89 »

It might be a little late to give you an answer, but...

A good translation for whistle would be flûte irlandaise... and irish flute would become flûte traversière irlandaise.
On this latter, you can even be more accurate by using the terms sans clefs which stands for keyless or avec clefs which stands for with keys.
Low whistle would be flûte basse and high whistle would be flûte soprano.

I also agree with one of the posts saying that whistle or tin whistle would be understood by most people knowing a little bit about the subject.

French being my native language, I hope this can help you... although it might be a little too late!
regor

Post by regor »

Jean Pierre Le Meur, (French Whistle Maker: http://www.webreizh.net/jplemeur/), simply use the term: "Tin Whistle" in his French web site.
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

Ask this fellow:
http://www.lecoant.com/
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

We can easily conclude that the french language doesnt really have a good word for the "whistle". The word "Flageolet" comes to mind, yes, but it's very similar to the verb "flageoler" which means to whip someone, in other words some form of torture! :boggle:

Also, a recorder in french is a "flûte à bec", so when we use the word "flûte" by itself, people think you're talking about a recorder, at least here in Québec. So people will call your whistle a "flûte" because they think it's a recorder.

So yeah, I would rather use "flûte irlandaise" than "flageolet", but "whistle" is what most french speakers I know use for the instrument.