I have a bad case of WhoA!!!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
In The Woods
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

I have a bad case of WhoA!!!

Post by In The Woods »

(Sorry if I spelled it wrong...) Anyhow, I realized I have it because I've been whistling now for about 6 months and I already own five whistles. So, some of you may be thinking, "Who does he think he's kidding!? Five whistles is diddly-nothing. Now in MY stash I have_____ whistles." But, kind readers, this shows no signs of abating. ESPECIALLY since there are about fifteen or so inexpensive whistles out there, and one can buy a lot of them looking for that perfect one.

So, what advice do you have?

With best regards,

Steve Mack
Ring the bells that still can ring.
Forget your perfect offering.
There is a crack in everything.
That's how the light get's in.

Leonard Cohen
Tommy
antispam: No

Post by Tommy »

Congratulations, Five whistles in six months is a good start. Your only one whistle behind. :)
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
vomitbunny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by vomitbunny »

Make sure you always tell whoever you play with that you have Whoa, and use protection.
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
blackhawk

Re: I have a bad case of WhoA!!!

Post by blackhawk »

In The Woods wrote: So, what advice do you have?
There is no hope. You are doomed. :D
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

Buy in quantity and save on shipping. :D

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Don't take up the flute.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Advice, well just enjoy the five you have now. It won't be long before you have five in each room, and no less than three in the car. One of which will be stuck in the back of the seat. You may or may not find it but take joy in knowing that you have helped spread whistling when you trade it in. Some one will come on the C&F board and say. Hi I am new here and found a whistle in a used car. Could someone help me to learn to play it. This is a cool whistle........................... :D
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
CRC

Post by CRC »

RonKiley wrote:Buy in quantity and save on shipping. :D
I agree. :lol:
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

Back in September or November I bought a Sweetone and a Feadog.

For Christmas I got a Native American Flute and played it quite a bit, so my attention was diverted for a little while. Now I've started playing them about equally.

So, in March I bought an Oak D, Generation D, Generation Bb, and Walton C.

In April I bought a Hoover Whitecap, another Oak D (for the Whitecap), a Clarke Original, Generation G, Generation C, Oak C, and a Clare D.

And I just got a Kerry Songbird Low D last week. :)

So, I was overtaken with WhOA for a bit, but I think I'm OK for the time being.

I must say that I'm really loving my Whitecap on Oak right now. :D Sweet with just a bit of chiff, not too loud, easy to play and strong in both registers. It took me a few days to get used to the breath for it, but man what a great whistle.

Jason
CelloDog

Post by CelloDog »

I ordered a Whitecap last week. Looking forward to a decent high D. I have mostly been playing Low D and a self-tweaked Clarke original (I reined in the breathiness, but it's still not always cooperative with octave shifts). I think Michael Burke's website outage has saved me a lot of money :wink: .
Doug
Key_of_D

Post by Key_of_D »

Who doesn't have WHOA? I have to quit now, as I'm finally getting a car... I'll be spending whats left of my money on gas and car insurance... But, I got enough whistles to suit me for now! Might be a long while before I buy another... Just the very thought of that... :sniffle:
William T. Anderson

Post by William T. Anderson »

I hate to talk about how much time and money I've spent getting myself organized. I need one alum. Chieftain in every key possible coupled with a Overton in the remaining keys. In turn I need wood for a alternate sound/feel which has taken me into my Abell high Dmaj and 10 hole body to start off, next will be a alto Gmaj with a 10 body as well by Chris. THe pure sound of copper has me hooked in the high keys so my O'Briens are getting a tuneup and will be needing a Parkhurst set to boot. I'll be I also need ahava rhaba keyed so that takes me to Daniel Bingham for as many keys as possible in copper which is next on my list of things to do and leaving off with my Susatos for which each key will keep me well rounded. My last but not least will be a set of uilleann pipes to shoot my sound into the stratousphere. The style of music I'm writing now demands this "voice" and varied throughout. My bag is getting heavy and I'm smilling with every pound I pack... :o :D

WTA
Mitch
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: I have a bad case of WhoA!!!

Post by Mitch »

In The Woods wrote:(Sorry if I spelled it wrong...) Anyhow, I realized I have it because I've been whistling now for about 6 months and I already own five whistles. So, some of you may be thinking, "Who does he think he's kidding!? Five whistles is diddly-nothing. Now in MY stash I have_____ whistles." But, kind readers, this shows no signs of abating. ESPECIALLY since there are about fifteen or so inexpensive whistles out there, and one can buy a lot of them looking for that perfect one.

So, what advice do you have?

With best regards,

Steve Mack
Hi Steve ... so you're not quite in the woods yet?

The forrest beckons <here's the bit where Vincent Price does the sepulchral larf with too much reverb> mwa ha ha harrrr

edited to say " arrr arrrr arrr rr rr r r "
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

To overcome Whoa, convince yourself that you need a performance-quality lever harp.

If you have a *real* bad case of whoa, convince yourself that you need a pedal harp. Then go down to the bank to go over the paperwork for a second mortgage. Then go to the car dealership and look for a used Hummer to haul it around in.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
falkbeer

Post by falkbeer »

Thank God you´re living in a capitalistic society where you can squander all your money on tin whistles! I used to be like you, but nowadays I only play the Clarke Sweetone (and sometimes the Feadog). But it´s one nice aspect of whistle playing - you can own a lot of them whitout taking a bank loan. Imagine if you were playing the electric guitar. You´ll have to be a very rich rock star to be able to own ten Gibson Les Paul guitars. Even the most expensive handmade whistle is cheap compared to a vintage Les Paul!