Phil Hardy to be sainted...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

I agree that details should be left out. It's one thing to post a general "Wow, Phil really knows how to treat his customers!" thread with fairly vague details, but it's another to give those details. I certainly understand the excitement and the desire to give praise and credit where they are due.

However, I can see two simple problems.

First, as listed above, some could think that it's a publicity stunt, or some side-door promotion. Doubtful, but possible.

Second, and I thought this immediately; I wonder if Phil may somehow now feel some sort of moral obligation to give away more whistles. Will die-hard Phil fans come to almost expect a free whistle at some point? Again doubtful, but possible.

If I gave someone a hard-to-find or expensive whistle and they posted on the forum. I'd wonder how many people's (forum friends) feelings might be hurt because I hadn't given them one. probably none, but the thought would still cross my mind. A general, "Wow, Jason's a nice guy who did me a big favor" might be OK, but too much detail can cause problems.

Not meaning to sound negative on you William. It's a great story and would definitely be hard not to tell! But, maybe if it ended with Phil quickly hooking you up with exactly what you wanted - and at a steal!

I know exactly where you're coming from; honestly giving public thanks for a selfless favor. It's a great thing that should be expressed. However, we just have to keep in mind that there are other ramifications at play.

No offense intended. :)

Jason
Wombat
antispam: No

Post by Wombat »

chas wrote:
dubhlinn wrote:The history of the Chiff is littered with many acts of kindness among the members. The vast majority of these go unmentioned in the forums.

Little acts of kindness are by nature, private.
Good points, Dubh. I've received free whistles from makers and given some pretty nice whistles away to other listmembers. I'm no saint. I suspect that if every person who received a free whistle from a maker started a new thread, all sorts of posting records would be set on the whistle forum.
Me too, on all points, Chas (and Dub.) Sometimes the nice stuff has to be public, as when there is a raffle or a collection for some specific purpose or someone is asking for donations of spare whistles to give away to children. But not only do generous exchanges go on here behind the scenes on a very regular basis, some members also sell whistles at absurdly low prices to ensure that they go to a good home. A lot of good stuff is happening constantly here behind the scenes simply because we form a closeknit community of friends whose behaviour to eachother is, well, ... friendly.
Finn MacCool
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I enjoy networking with others about trad tunes and whistles, learning fingering techniques and searching for sesiuns
Location: Behind the Orange Curtain (Orange County, California, that is)

Post by Finn MacCool »

dubhlinn wrote: If I were to be sent such a gift I would never mention it on the boards for fear leaving the person vulnerable to the very cynical comments I refer to above.
I liked Williams story... it has drama, despair, hope and redemption.

I'll give credit to those on this board to be able to tell the difference between a great story versus an opportunity to go begging Phil for this or that.

Hey, William... read Matthew 9:27-31
WhOA count: 20... and shopping

Post by William T. Anderson »

From the short time I've been on this forum I can say that I've had several really great things happen in exchanges and sales and so on, far more than this Phil Hardy happening. This story to me was just so frustrating and hair pulling and then really awesome that I just felt compelled to share it. Maybe I could have left Phil's name out of it or not talked this point or that or just not have shared it at all... all these things would have been the right thing to do. The thing is I wanted to post it and so I did... :D Some will be excited, some happy, some irritated, some angry and some will just pass on by cause its just another post on a whistle forum. If i'm learning anything here its that there are so many different types of people here and I am sure to bless someone and put someone off at the same time. Much like life in the "real" world and at the end of the day we do what we do and then we go to bed, just like me...right now.

Have a great night everbody,

WTA :)
Mitch
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Mitch »

Hmmm, there's something I recall about praying loudly on street corners and how the rewards thing works.

And yet the world is a multifarious place, where sometimes rewards can feed hungry children etc ...

As for "saint Phil" - I don't think Phil could live with that. What I will say is that Phil seems to operate on a completely other level - frequency if you like. At that level, many things become possible and Phil has realised much using his "channel". The energy in the man is astounding. Who has a yardstick to measure that? The only measure here belongs to Dale.

By recognising the otherness in Phil, I must also recognise the underlying energy of the whistle community. There is much good done here at all levels = continually - whether you see it or not. To lionise any one member might be to deny the value of the whole. I could never agree with that and I don't think Phil would either.

No matter how well regarded, humans are only 5-holed :) (metaphorically speaking)
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
Roger O'Keeffe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

People are generally quicker to complain than to praise.

You were right to share your experience, and I say this as someone who has no connection whatever to PH and has no idea what his whistles sound like. Good deeds deserve recognition, even if they were not performed in the expectation of it.

When I encounter particularly good service, especially in a public service where tipping is not the appropriate response, I try (but don't always get around to it) to send what I call a "tenth leper" letter. In appropriate circumstances I even make a point of addressing it to the superior of the person who made a good impression.
An Pluiméir Ceolmhar
Monster
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Monster »

Roger, what does "tenth leper" mean?
insert uber smart comment here
William T. Anderson

Post by William T. Anderson »

In the book of Luke and the 17th chapter in the bible, Jesus healed/cleaned 10 lepers and only one of them gave thanks to God... Roger's letter is a letter of thanks thats not required but given because of great gratitude...

Now I already know that many will get their knickers in a knot, I quoted the number one best selling book of all time with 2'5 billions copies printed; I'm just answering the question raised by Monster from Roger's post...So if you want to send someone to the colisieum to be ravaged by galiators and wild beasts and such send Roger this time! :D

Roger, they're all yours...

If at any time you are wondering where this thread is try the Political and Contiversial forum... :o