soap trick questions

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
justajoe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

soap trick questions

Post by justajoe »

apparently i have a wet mouth (???) and my Syn D doesnt like that. i have made a real soapy mixture and soaked a piece of business card in it and slid it down the opening of the whistle like all of those posts said to do. this helped with the clogging, but not for too long. i got three or four sittings of about an hour to an hour and a half each before it started to clog again. is this normally the case? do you usually have to keep re-soaping.

PS - i just made another soapy mixture, and dunked the top of the whistle in it... up until where the sound comes out, then wiped off the excess. is this OK ? i guess i will find out in a few days lol
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

I would think the "dipping" technique would be fine with a Syn. Just don't ever do that to a whistle with a wooden block or body or anything.

Plus, if it does something odd to the Syn, you can take out the pin and clean it.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Cynth

Re: soap trick questions

Post by Cynth »

justajoe wrote:apparently i have a wet mouth (???) and my Syn D doesnt like that. i have made a real soapy mixture and soaked a piece of business card in it and slid it down the opening of the whistle like all of those posts said to do. this helped with the clogging, but not for too long. i got three or four sittings of about an hour to an hour and a half each before it started to clog again. is this normally the case? do you usually have to keep re-soaping.

PS - i just made another soapy mixture, and dunked the top of the whistle in it... up until where the sound comes out, then wiped off the excess. is this OK ? i guess i will find out in a few days lol
You need to re-do the soap solution. If you got an hour's sitting, or more I guess, from the soap solution, then it is working very well for you. I think your saliva washes the soap away. I drip the solution through my mouthpiece at the end of every practice, blow it out and let it dry. That was what my maker's instructions said to do.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Congratulations

Sounds like you should look into Duponol. I've only done the soap thing a bit, but I didn't know it was so short-lived.
crookedtune
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by crookedtune »

I'm playing a new Syn also, and have noticed moderate (not bad) clogging, compared to other whistles I've played. I didn't try the soap treatment. I'd be interested to know how the dipping worked out, as I may want to give that a shot.

Sure do like the whistle, though! :party:
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

I have my solution in a little eye drop bottle, and it just takes a few drops to rinse down the inside. Then I wipe off the outside. I think this has also helped the inside of my mouthpiece stay clean. I can't take it apart to clean it, so I'm wanting for it never to get gunked up. So far, so good.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

Aha! Music Juice!

Has anyone tried Rain-X? That's a windshield treatment that I used when I couldn't find replacement wipers for my vehicle. It seemed to work well for that in the 70s, but I haven't heard of anyone trying that.

If you can get inside of the fipple, you might try waxing it and the windway with some sort of paste wax.

At least, I have heard waxing recommended for some bagpipes and wooden flutes
Congratulations

fancypiper wrote:Aha! Music Juice!

Has anyone tried Rain-X? That's a windshield treatment that I used when I couldn't find replacement wipers for my vehicle. It seemed to work well for that in the 70s, but I haven't heard of anyone trying that.

If you can get inside of the fipple, you might try waxing it and the windway with some sort of paste wax.

At least, I have heard waxing recommended for some bagpipes and wooden flutes
Very interesting suggestions.
Mitch
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Mitch »

Hey jusajoe, There's one person that knows more about SYNs than anyone! I'm sure that if you PM Erle he might have some effective suggestions - his handle here is "syn whistles".
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com