Pics of me whistles.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Phil Hardy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Pics of me whistles.

Post by Phil Hardy »

Here are some of my high Ds.
Left to right
1.Chieftain Gold Mezzo D
2.My first ever whistle/Feadog
3.Copeland
4.John Sindt
5.Chieftain Soprano Dtunable
6.Chieftain Copper
7.Kerry Songbird
8.Busman Blackwood.
Phil.
Image[/img]
Image[/img]
Last edited by Phil Hardy on Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
William T. Anderson

Post by William T. Anderson »

What a cool lineup... After so many years of being in the "scene" you must have quite the over all collection of makes and keys. I'd love to know your favorite high D and low d?

Oh and by the way Phil I was in our big parking lot of the Salvation Army Corp where I am a minister and was playing "Amazing Grace" on my Chieftain Messo A and it was the first time I had to really let loose with the volume and it whaled! Huge sound and it seem to go for miles... A huge thumbs up on it as it did well even in the wind.

WTA
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

William T. Anderson wrote: Oh and by the way Phil I was in our big parking lot of the Salvation Army Corp where I am a minister and was playing "Amazing Grace" on my Chieftain Messo A ...
WTA
Huh? I thought Salvation Army folk only played tubas and the like :wink:
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Phil Hardy

Steady Paul!

Post by Phil Hardy »

Steady Paul,we don't want a political incident.
Phil.
ps.never clean a whistle...they don't like it.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

William T. Anderson wrote:...I had to really let loose with the volume and it whaled!
Why do I have an image of Captain Ahab stunning Moby Dick
with a third octave note on his Chieftain?
William T. Anderson

Doesn't everyone talk to whales with their whistles? Boy don't I look the "odd man out"! :D

brewerpaul - I've introduced the low and high whistle to the Salvation Army this year and via the album I'm working on am hoping to see it being used as a part of the normal lineup for the windwood section. I've been looking for a whistle manufacter who's whistles do well both in the church setting and outside for parades. I will be working as a lieason to our denominiation to represent a program for children and the thousands of "serious" wind instrument players as we have thousands of churches worldwide. Its been a real adventure talking and interviewing so many whistle makers and aduitioning their work, learning about how they make them and their availbility to mass produce and so on. So many choices and directions have made it a real challenge to know what directions are best.
Wind instruments and drums became popular with the Salvation Army in the mid 1800's and in that day we often instituted parades and marches and "portable" instruments really became the "norm". Why the whistle didn't make the cut is a mystery to me as we started in the West End of London. I am really excited to be working on a stratagy to create a new "wave" if you will for which, if sucessful will require thousands of whistle for kids and hundredes of "high end" whistles for the serious players (we really take our instruments seriously :) ).

WTA
Last edited by William T. Anderson on Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

fearfaoin wrote:
William T. Anderson wrote:...I had to really let loose with the volume and it whaled!
Why do I have an image of Captain Ahab stunning Moby Dick
with a third octave note on his Chieftain?
Hey, isn't that how Jonah secured his release? :D
William T. Anderson

Wombat,

Now thats funny!
falkbeer

Re: Pics of me whistles.

Post by falkbeer »

Phil Hardy wrote:Here are some of my high Ds.
Left to right
1.Chieftain Gold Mezzo D
2.My first ever whistle/Feadog
3.Copeland
4.John Sindt
5.Chieftain Soprano Dtunable
6.Chieftain Copper
7.Kerry Songbird
8.Busman Blackwood.
Phil.
It would be interesting to hear which one you prefer playing on? Or do you use different whistles for different tunes or sessions?
Phil Hardy

I Play A!

Post by Phil Hardy »

Susato...every time...and I don't really know why...it just does what it says on the tin.
ps.if you want to saound good as a beginner,don't play Susato,they are very unforgiving,they show up ALL the faults.
Phil.
Image[/img]
Unseen122
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

So when were you making Copper Whisltes?

You are tempting me to buy a Susato. Maybe that C# they make would get some use. I already have 3 High Ds I love, and have gone through too many to count, but never a Susato.
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: I Play A!

Post by amar »

Phil Hardy wrote:Susato...every time...and I don't really know why...it just does what it says on the tin.
ps.if you want to saound good as a beginner,don't play Susato,they are very unforgiving,they show up ALL the faults.
Phil.
Image[/img]
whoa phil, where'd the hair go?
falkbeer

Post by falkbeer »

Phil Hardy wrote:Susato...every time...and I don't really know why...it just does what it says on the tin.
Phil.
Doh... Must get Susato...

I used to play on a standard Generation D whistle for many years, then I used a Feadog Mk II for a while, and the last couple of years I favoured a cheap Clarke Sweetone. (also the Original Clarke is an exeptional whistle - I love the sound - but I get very tired after a couple of tunes due to the air requierment.)

Susato isn´t that expensive so I´ll buy one immediately. Thnks for the tip!
shadoe42

Post by shadoe42 »

amar wrote:
Phil.
Image[/img]
Take a close look at the pic. He has it pulled back :)
pop

Post by pop »

amar wrote:
Phil.
Image[/img]
He is having a bad hair life.
J.MC