You're inside the pub and they give you a chair

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Chief Wanganui
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Chief Wanganui »

Could be worse.
They could give you "the" chair.
Not that I'm anxious to try it.
That Scottish Git.
straycat82
antispam: No

Post by straycat82 »

I find that as long as I practice good posture while sitting, doesn't affect my playing at all. I've never been to a session of more than six people or so. The chairs to butts ratio hasn't been an issue thus far. I should practice playing standing up more often though because when I do it I feel somewhat awkward.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Yes, sometimes seating is at a premium. If I arrive maybe an hour or so after a session's begun, sometimes I'll wind up standing. If there are seats available, they're usually in awkward places where I'd have to inconvenience others and maybe even put their instruments at some risk if I needed to get out for whatever reason. The loo comes to mind. When I'm offered such seating, I just let 'em know it's not personal, but I need to maintain my hasty exit strategy; one never knows, after all. :D
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Jennie

Post by Jennie »

I like to stand when I'm playing at a performance. It reduces setup hassles and lets me play my other instrument (hammered dulcimer). But at a session, or when I'm playing informally with anyone, I sit. Standing makes me feel that I'm dominating, when I'd rather be on the level with everyone else and just join in.

When I started flute I had to stand up, just to get the lung capacity I needed. It's a little better now-- more focused airstream -- but I still sit unless I'm performing.

Jennie
Trip-

Post by Trip- »

Nice to know someone is playing a hammered dulcimer in... alaska ! :)
way to go