Serpent whistles?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
blackhawk
antispam: No

Post by blackhawk »

On 2002-08-17 13:34, ysgwd wrote:
I think the knotwork sucks. I think that and the snake look like they did it with one of those cheap Radio Shack engravers....I like a slightly rough looking whistle that shows it is handmade, but I don't like to pay for mediocre decoration. I'm not keeping my nasty comments to myself, this time, concealing it in opaque sarcasm. :evil: If somebody made one of these whistles for themselves as a hobby and self expression I would say cool, but somebody is making these whistles to profit and I say blech. Vent complete.
OK, then, are we all agreed that we hate them before we get a chance to play their whistles? Just checking. :smile:
ysgwd

Post by ysgwd »

Ah my thinly disguised resistance to my own Whoa has been discovered....Hats off to you Blackhawk!
Lisa
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

On 2002-08-17 14:01, ysgwd wrote:
Ah my thinly disguised resistance to my own Whoa has been discovered....Hats off to you Blackhawk!
Lisa
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dale »

I just commissioned a review and I'm hoping they'll respond.

Loren's right. It's a bit weird.

Dale
ScottStewart

Post by ScottStewart »

I'm with Loren and Brian on this one. Looks too suspect for now. If we find out this maker is anywhere near Missouri,well then, hide your wallet and run, run, run! That other guy, John McSomethingorother used PayPal and marketed to schools.
Image Scott

"Peace is not defined by the absence of war."
Teri-K

Post by Teri-K »

All in the true spirit of American juris prudence: guilty until proven innocent

Teri
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

On 2002-08-17 19:34, Teri-K wrote:
All in the true spirit of American juris prudence: guilty until proven innocent

Teri
Great minds think alike. :smile:
Loren
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

So, you've gone ahead and ordered one then Teri? :lol:

Loren
Teri-K

Post by Teri-K »

Now, Loren... you know I don't have the affliction.

Teri
Brenna Joy

Post by Brenna Joy »

With those shiny, pastel colored bodies, and the cute fipple wood names: Mulberry, Wild cherry and Purpleheart, it sounds like they're marketing a Fruitopia whistle. Which, if they weren't so expensive, maybe I'd go for.
The 'Wild Cherry Chrome Moly' whistle! Mmmmm! Yummy!
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

concealing it in opaque sarcasm.
Your sarcasm was never that opaque.

Dale
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

I'm with Teri and Blackhawk on this one - there'll be time enough for a lynch mob once there's some evidence of a crime. For now, we're dealing with a website and maker none of us ever heard of before late last night or early this morning. Fair play and an open mind suggest that we should at least refrain from tying the noose until someone has at least some reason to pan the whistles - like maybe playing one?

And no, I'm not rushing out to buy one either. Retirement and medical bills have proven a sovereign remedy for WhOA - and even if I HAD $90 for a new whistle, Mike Burke's have been on my wish list for a far longer time.

(Edit) I also note, with some chagrin, that Dale has commissioned a review and is waiting for the maker's response. Now, lets ask ourselves - even if the maker is legit and making a good product, how anxious do you think YOU'D be to accede after watching your product - and yourself - trashed by folks who don't know anything about you or it?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Chuck_Clark on 2002-08-17 21:35 ]</font>
vaporlock

Post by vaporlock »

This thread reminds me of a cross between a Sherlock Holmes novel and the Salem Witch Trials :roll:
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

I'll save folks the trouble of hunting this one down:

ANNOUNCE: New whistlemaker

Group: rec.music.celtic
Date: Fri, Aug 16, 2002, 6:06am (EDT-3)

Please don't beat me up. I'll only do this once.

I'm a new whistlemaker, in the business because I love whistle music, and wanted a good low whistle that wasn't plastic, and didn't cost a mint. I make beautiful, one-of-a-kind engraved whistles and Renaissance flutes, easy-playing with good sound. Medium priced. Please come see me.

http://www.serpentmusic.com

Thanks,

Bill Whedon

As for Teri, Blackhawk, and Chuck's comments....I'm tempted to get WAAAAY up on the soapbox here, but I'll try to restrain myself. I have just one question then: Exactly what the hell is wrong with being cautious? No one is suggesting taking any sort of action against this individual, rather people are saying be careful about these whistles until we know more. Sure, some people aren't crazy about the whistles' looks, based on the photo, but that happens with other whistles as well.

If, in the end, these whistles turn out to be on the up and up, the maker should certainly understand our skeptism once he knows the history and facts behind it.

I seriously can't understand what you three have a problem with. Do you open the door to your homes to people you don't know? Leave your businesses unlocked at night? Do you encourage your children to talk to strangers? (Okay, I asked more than one question)
I swear you three sound like statistics waiting waiting to happen. During the years I taught Martial Arts and Defensive tactics to Law Enforcement officers, (which included doing contract work for the federal government) I had many discussions with these Law Enforcement Professionals about why people become victims of crime, and you three make perfect poster children for the cause: Even when confronted with multiple reasons to be suspicious, you say "Oh, don't be paranoid, we should always give people the benefit of the doubt" Every Law Enforcement professional I've ever met, everything I've ever read on the subject of crime and how to avoid it, as well as my own personal experience of having been a victim of, and witness to, multiple crimes, some physically quite violent, says that this attitude of yours is the exact attitude that causes people to become victims when they could have otherwise avoided it.

Again, no one here has suggested any action against anyone, and there are legitimate reasons to be concerned (a website offering sales but no physical address or any identification of the sellers), so, people having been burned by someone in the same state, doing business in a similar manner in the past, are simply being cautious. And, to be quite honest, as someone who has been a crime victim in the past, I rather take offense to your putting down those of us who are simply trying to avoid being victimized again, and who are trying to look out for others in hopes of keeping them from suffering as well. Especially since none of you are stepping up to order any of these whistles, easy enough to give advice when it won't affect you one way or the other......

Loren
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Hey Brian,

Get out that pillow again and sit down, are you ready? We agree on not one, but two thingsl!! Here's the other:

Recently I received, as a gift (Thanks again!!!), an O'Briain Improved whistle. It arrived several days ago and I love it!! Great little whistle! This isn't the place for a review, but I thought I'd take the opportunity to knock you off the chair again :lol:

Now, in all seriousness, maybe it's time we buried the hatchet, eh? I mean if we can agree on two things in the same week, who knows, maybe there's even a chance for peace in the Middle East!

Loren