best case for Clarke-style whistles?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Hummingbird
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

best case for Clarke-style whistles?

Post by Hummingbird »

I've been traveling around with my tweaked clarke and shaw, and I'm reluctant to just throw them in my bag like I might with a generation-style whistle, since the fipple on them is so much more delicate, and one of the features that was tweaked, to boot. A roll doesn't seem like it would offer much protection...are there any cases or ideas for cases that would let me carry these around in safety?

(alternatively, maybe this is the exscuse I need to break and buy a laughing whistle ;) )
Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher »

Most any major sporting goods store , or even WalMart , should have an assortment of pistol cases that would fill the job of storing your whistles quite nicely. :)

Have a Great Day and Fun Whistling !!
Coming to you live from "The Black Hole of Whistledom"
monkey

Post by monkey »

I made my own case out of a scrap of old cloth and old pillow fillings. it's very bucolic looking and roughly hand sewn :D but it does the job.
walrii
antispam: No

Post by walrii »

I use a length of PVC pipe with one cap glued on and the other just pressed on. Its hard, sturdy and only slightly larger than the whistle itself. I line the tube with 1/16" (1.5mm) foam from the craft store - it comes in sheets about 2 feet square. I use a separate tube for each whistle but you can also make one large diameter tube to carry several whistles. You can paint the tube if you like. I use a spray paint from Krylon designed specifically for plastics. It comes in standard spray cans and is available in the States in any large hardare store. My cases are emerald green - seemed like the most appropriate color!

I also use the pistol cases referenced above for my tenor recorders. I got one on sale at Wal-Mart for US$9. It's plastic, sturdy, just the right size and came with the foam liner.
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
Bridges-PdP

Post by Bridges-PdP »

walrii wrote:I use a length of PVC pipe with one cap glued on and the other just pressed on. Its hard, sturdy and only slightly larger than the whistle itself. I line the tube with 1/16" (1.5mm) foam from the craft store - it comes in sheets about 2 feet square. I use a separate tube for each whistle but you can also make one large diameter tube to carry several whistles.

Does the idea of carrying a piece of capped pipe or two ever present security concerns for you? or should I say, does it present security concerns for others that see you? I know this sounds silly, because I can certainly see the practicality of using PVC. I'm a 2.5 hour flight from any kind of department store like Walmart (just typing that word is kind of exciting). But, PVC, I might can scare up a piece of that...now caps?

Also, how do you line the tube with the foam?

Thanks for your help and for others that my contribute to the thread. I have about 8 high D whistles and one low that I need to be able to transport and had no good ideas how to accomplish that.
Scott Bridges

Auxilio ab alto
Black Mage

Post by Black Mage »

Went a little overboard with mine when I got my first Clarke (first whistle) last summer.

"Playing the whistle is nothing impressive. All one has to do is cover the right holes at the right time, and the instrument plays itself."
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

i guess this must be one of those differences between haiti and west virginia. these pvc pipes are used as storage by all kinds of people for all types of storage in west virginia. there are utility trucks and construction companies with larger pipes installed on their trucks for long skinny tools. the pvc pipes are used to store maps and blueprints and all kind of rolled papers. one of the more common uses is to transport fishing poles. i don't have one yet. the end caps are sold in the hardware stores right next to the pipe.

in west virginia, i wouldn't expect any concerns about security but that's true of most of west virginia.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Jack Bradshaw

Post by Jack Bradshaw »

Used the 4" stuff for kayak roof racks....leave the ends off and they make for a real booming "flute" noise at speed......8 feet long......no problem hearing the approach !
603/329-7322
"I fail to see why doing the same thing over and over and getting the
same results every time is insanity: I've almost proved it isn't;
only a few more tests now and I'm sure results will differ this time ... "
bozemanhc

Post by bozemanhc »

I have made several cases from mailing tubes that I got from an office supply store. I put Armaflex (foam type) pipe insulation in the tube. You can buy Armaflex for various pipe sizes so get one for 1/2" pipe and it will fit most whistles. This gives a great cusion for the whistle. Just cut off the mailing tube to the length you need. It isn't as strong as PVC pipe, but works just as well except in very rough situations.
Howard
Denis

Post by Denis »

Another option is to use a telescopic case designed for Artist brushes. They run about 4$. I cut two Styrofoam disks and placed them in both ends of the tube to provide some internal cushioning. I also drilled or cut four large holes… two at either end to provide venting for the moisture that remains in the whistle after use. This is important for any closed tube. Otherwise, tinplated whistles (like the Clarke's) will rust inside and the outer surfaces can become quite slimy.

The cases are translucent... so no doubt about what's inside.

Last edited by Denis on Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

The case on a bicycle pump works well. You might find one at a garage sale. Someone else suggested a bigger, scotch whiskey metal tin case. In a pinch, a roll from aluminum foil can be adapted, just tape up one end add some padding to fill the space. Some shipping places sell smaller, more durable cardboard rolls. Some whistles that arrived by mail came in these and I used them, again wrapping the whistle in cloth or a paper towel first.
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

I'm for the cheap method...what about a sock? That way you can protect the whistle and still just toss it in the bag.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
walrii
antispam: No

Post by walrii »

Bridges-PdP wrote:Does the idea of carrying a piece of capped pipe or two ever present security concerns for you?

Also, how do you line the tube with the foam?
I've had no security concerns at all. I travel by airline once every week or so and have had no problems whatsoever getting through security. The x-ray sees right throught the PVC and the agent identifies the whistle as a whistle.

I measured the inside circumference of the tube then cut a piece of foam that wide and as long as the tube. I rolled the foam up, slid it in the tube then pushed around with a long stick until it unrolled and filled the inside of the tube. That took a couple miniutes on the first try and about thirty seconds on the second.
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
Hummingbird

Post by Hummingbird »

Thank you all for the replies! Many good ideas there...I'll definitely go out and get some of the items you all mentioned. The diagram for the artist brush case was particularly above and beyond the call of duty :)

Black Mage, where on earth did you get that case for your Clarke? That's beautiful! Thanks again everyone, my whistles will thank you too.
WhistlinBob

Post by WhistlinBob »

You could try going to a craft store and buy a knitting needle case they hold ten or so of my whistles up to my Gen B flat very cheap to buy I think I payed 6.00 dollars they zipper shut and have hard sides
a one anda two anda three. I would like you to meet my whistle instructer Charles.

[A bad day of Whistlin is better than
any day at work!!!]