Let's hear it for Tony Dixon

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
alespa
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Music has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. Part of what I love about celtic/folk style music is the sound of a handful of handmade instruments that remind me of simpler times.

Post by alespa »

One of the things I love about whistles are the people who make'm and the people that play'em. I want to say something about Tony Dixon because in spite of owning some rather expensive (and lovely) whistles, I still find myself enjoying the first whistle I ever had—a Dixon pvc nontuneable soprano d. As I learned the whistle, I liked it's tone, but my amateur status (still am really) gave me ideas that more expensive whistles would help me play better. Rather than go into that, I simply want to applaud Tony Dixon, for no other reason than in the mix of hearing people talk about all the other wonderful makers on this planet, I don't hear as much about Tony's whistles as I think I should. I don't want to take away from other whistlemakers, just want to publicly thank Tony for the fine whistle that I still love over a year after beginning this wonderful adventure! I would hope that I will never part with this, and I hope he continues to make whistles for years to come! Which brings me to another thing I like about whistles. You don't have to have just one :D
There's no such thing as a stranger, just friends we have not yet met.
Franz
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Franz »

alespa,
Ditto on everything you said! :D
Pete D

Post by Pete D »

I agree. Much applause……(clapping)……I have a plastic Dixon whistle…It’s great…I wish I could make whistles to the standards of Dixon. :thumbsup:
perrins57

Post by perrins57 »

I agree, the new aluminium bodied models have the great tone that the PVC models have, but with greater volume. I would have to spend at least three times as much (probably four) to get a whistle that sounded significantly better than my high D. The all PVC models are a bit quiet to play with other instruments, but sound great for the price. I think the PVC are a great step up from cheap whistles and the metal bodied models offer pro tone for a fraction of the cost.
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

(Name's Mark btw)
slowair

Post by slowair »

I completely agree!

Tony's whistles are one of my favorites. I have more of Tony's whistles than any other maker. Not just because of the whistles, which are excellent, but because of the man. He's a great person to work with.

Mike
Feadin

Post by Feadin »

I agree, Dixons are great whistles. Clean, pure an sweet. Best for playing alone indoors or recording with a mic. I look forward to play a "Session Dixon" if they come out sometime.
Cristian Feldman
Blackbeer

Post by Blackbeer »

I whole heartedly agree. Tony Dixon is quite a guy. I don`t have any of his whistles, maybe I should deal with that situation, but the first wooden flute I ever bought was made for me by Tony about 3 years ago or so. Since that time many flutes have passed through my hands and a few have stuck but that Dixon rosewood just keeps hanging around. I even picked up one of his delrin 3 piece flutes last summer which spends its time leaning up against the counter next to my computer, always at hand for a quick tune. They are both exelent instruments. I remember when I first contacted him about a flute we exchanged 2 or 3 emails before we ever got around to talking about flutes. Realy nice guy. Very easy to work with as far as understanding what you want. Anyway glad his name got brought up. I better write him and see about a whistle :)

Take care

Tom
Pete D

Post by Pete D »

So...who is Mr. Dixon? I think???he resides down south...but does he? Mr. Dixon… Perhaps you could comment…I’m sure it would be much appreciated. How did he/you get involved? So many questions, not enough beer, time, nor cigarettes. FWIW
Black Mage

Post by Black Mage »

I have two Dixons, myself. A nontunable polymer low D, and an aluminum tunable high D. Both are great. The high D is especially sweet and bright. I love to play them either in the stair well in the art building on campus (sounds like a cathedral when you play) or around the pond on campus. Great whisltes at a great price.
"Playing the whistle is nothing impressive. All one has to do is cover the right holes at the right time, and the instrument plays itself."
shengjie

Post by shengjie »

This is my first post in Chiff Fipple. I just bought a Tony Dixon Soprano D Aluminum Tunable Whistle from the Whistle Shop. It has a nice sound, but the disappointing thing about it is that the intonation is off, and is very obvious between the low octave and high octave. :sniffle: I had emailed Tony about it, but up to now, haven't receive any solution from him. He did verify with me the problem, but did not offer any help, maybe he is busy, hope he can help me soon.
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

shengjie wrote:This is my first post in Chiff Fipple. I just bought a Tony Dixon Soprano D Aluminum Tunable Whistle from the Whistle Shop. It has a nice sound, but the disappointing thing about it is that the intonation is off, and is very obvious between the low octave and high octave. :sniffle: I had emailed Tony about it, but up to now, haven't receive any solution from him. He did verify with me the problem, but did not offer any help, maybe he is busy, hope he can help me soon.
I was hesitant to bring this up. It seems that shengjie is more courageous than I. I bought a Dixon high D with the brass tuning slide about two years ago. I returned the first one to the shop I bought it from because it was out of tune and had little gouges in the mouth piece. The replacement was better esthetically but much farther out of tune than the first. So I next emailed Tony Dixon and explained the situation. He apologized and immediately sent me a replacement direct from the UK. Great customer service,I thought. When, the 2nd replacement arrived I found that it, too, was out of tune (i.e., bad intonation). By that time I had lost the heart to fight any more so I stuck the whistle in the container with my other seldom-played whistles where it stays to this day. Every now and then I take it out and play a tune on it and I remember why I put it aside. Too bad because it has a nice mouthpiece and if the barrel was to be remade it would be a good whistle.
Mike
Jetboy

Post by Jetboy »

As a whistle maker i am always in awe of my fellow whistlesmiths. Tony is no exception, I have one of his plastic non-tunable Sop D whistles and it is easy to play if a tad 'light' ie it s easy to blow too hard and squeek or jump into the second octave Great for quiet sessions or solo playing. I prefer to 'drive' my whistles a bit more but a great instrument nevertheless. I still regularly play mine. Oh and
Pete D wrote:So...who is Mr. Dixon? I think???he resides down south...but does he? Mr. Dixon… Perhaps you could comment…I’m sure it would be much appreciated. How did he/you get involved? So many questions, not enough beer, time, nor cigarettes. FWIW
the best thing about Tony's whistles is they are made on this side of the pond, down south as Pete D says but down south in the West Country of little ol' England
www.westonwhistles.co.uk

I am in a World of my own. But I am happy here, everyone knows me!
eddie_climo

Post by eddie_climo »

I got a 1-piece C and a tunable B from Tony, and they're two of my all-time favourites (out of the many whistles I've accumulated over 25 years of playing). A friend gave me a 1-piece plastic D flute, also of his making, and it's ideal for a quick side-blow (when I can't be bothered with all the palaver of oil and pull-throughs).

In my experience, his instruments are lovely, his prices are remarkably low ... and he's a hell of a nice guy, to boot!

It's been a few years since my last visit, so I really must find out what he's making these days; could be time to treat myself!
Eddie Climo
eddie_climo@yahoo.co.uk

Darna bhean a' phìobair — a' phìob fhèin.
The piper's second wife — the pipes themselves.
(Gaelic proverb, originally about the harp).
shengjie

Post by shengjie »

burnsbyrne wrote: It seems that shengjie is more courageous than I.
Haha, I'm just trying to strike a balance in this topic. Sometimes, people only hear one side of the story, but I'm not saying that Tony is not good, or his whistles are lousy. I've heard from many people about his good customer services and sweet whistles, just that what I experienced was different from what I read, so decided to post it. I just emailed Tony back, requesting him to send me another whistle and if it was good, will send back my previous whistle. Will update you guys again on his respond.
Wanderer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

shengjie wrote:
burnsbyrne wrote: It seems that shengjie is more courageous than I.
Haha, I'm just trying to strike a balance in this topic. Sometimes, people only hear one side of the story, but I'm not saying that Tony is not good, or his whistles are lousy. I've heard from many people about his good customer services and sweet whistles, just that what I experienced was different from what I read, so decided to post it. I just emailed Tony back, requesting him to send me another whistle and if it was good, will send back my previous whistle. Will update you guys again on his respond.
the Dixon polymer I reviewed at the beginning of the month also was off on the intonation..

http://www.tinwhistler.com/music/review ... /index.asp