Generation - much maligned methinks

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Xopher
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Generation - much maligned methinks

Post by Xopher »

I have bought a couple of good brass "Generation" D whistles recently. I couldn't say whether or not they could be counted as sought after "good" Generations but they were both satisfactory from the outset. As I have bought 4 Generation whistles in D (two in nickel and two in brass) of which 3 were in tune with themselves and sounded quite satisfactory so I wonder if the poor reputation of the Generation is justified.

A few weeks earlier, having decided to take up whistling, I bought a nickel Generation D whistle. It had a nice sound but wasn't quite as good as the Feadog or the Clare that I bought at around the same time. Having heard about the variable quality of Generations I popped in to my local music shop on Saturday, having looked in the window and saw that they had a brass Generation D on display, handed over my £2.95 and took it home.

The Feadog I had bought earlier is a superb whistle with bags of character and after the blu-tack tweak it was more stable, particularly in the upper register, but this untweaked Generation was a match for it. I couldn't tell you if it was one of those sought after classics, it was just a good-sounding whistle with no notable defects; straight out of the shop with no tweaking I was able to play in tune across the range having a nice bell note of adequate strength and playing easily through its range up into the third octave.

I carried out the blu-tack tweak to this Generation but I don't know whether it made the whistle any better. I had to fiddle a bit later on because replacing the fipple on the tube resulted in some plastic shavings appearing in the airway but managed to sort that out. However, since then it has been a bit "breathy" or windy so I decided that if I find another Generation like that one I wouldn't mess around too much.

Well I bought a second brass Generation D which was on a par with the earlier one I had purchased. This time I was more careful in removing and replacing the fipple and I used fine grain sandpaper to rub away some extraneous plastic on the side of the window and at the exit to the windway. I also lightly "polished" the bottom of the soundblade with the sandpaper and replaced the fipple and it sounded very good. After a few days I also added blu-tack which perhaps made a slight improvement to notes in the second octave.

I think a whistle must sound quite different depending upon which end of it you are standing at, but in my opinion the Feadog has a slightly better sound (my wife firmly disagrees) and I may well be playing the Feadog a great deal when I become a better player, but the Generation is easier to play and doesn't let me down or trip me up like the Feadog does. The Generation seems more forgiving of finger placement (or falls more easily under mine) and is less sensitive to drops of moisture; it has a gentler sound, and I may be able to practice with this when the children are in bed. It would appear to be just what I need in order to get along with learning this instrument.

If Jerry Freeman's version of the Generation is a distinct improvement then it must be a very good whistle indeed and I shall have to get my hands on one.

Well now it's matter of practising.
Screeeech!!!

Post by Screeeech!!! »

Personally i hate the sound of untweaked Generations, and i haven't discovered anyway to make them sound nice yet.

I know some people call this a traditional sound, but i have no idea where that idea comes from.

Give me purity any day.

?
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I would say you have good Generations.

Having had several good ones and several bad ones, in my experience, if you get a bad one, you won't have to wonder: you'll know immediately when you try to play the thing. :x

--James
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

I just picked up a Gen Eb this past saturday- it's a good little whistle. Not harsh or shrill; in tune with itself too. Perfect for my purpose,which is learning tunes from Eb albums. My master plan is nearing fruition: A cheapie whistle in each of the most commonly used keys.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
vomitbunny
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by vomitbunny »

Why do some people take an instant dislinking for Generations?
answere: It saves time.
Kidding aside. I have several. Most tweaked into fine whistles, and one came very good, if heavy on the ch-ch-chiffiness.
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
scheky

Post by scheky »

Gens have a bad rep because their quality control...well, it fails to control the quality.

You can luck out and get a very nice Gen. You can get 20 and find ONE nice one (and two or four that can be tweaked into decent whistles). You can also get a pig that's not even in tune with itself and would require major overhauls.

They have a bad rep because they deserve a bad rep.
waltcamp45

Post by waltcamp45 »

I have 3 Gens, 1 Bb and two C's (one brass, one nickel). I'm very happy with the brass C. The Bb is so-so, and the nickel C has always had a peculiar sound -- breathy and shrill at the same time.

As for other whistles at that price range, some folks swear by Feadogs, but I've never really warmed up to my Feadog D (it's not for a lack of trying; that was my first whistle).

For me, Clarkes are my favorite by far among cheap whistles. However, I tried an Oak D yesterday and was really pleased with the sound. I nearly bought it today, but after re-reading Dale's review, I realized he was absolutely right (as he so often is) in his observation that Oaks don't require much air. I've decided against buying it (for now) on the grounds that it may encourage lazy blowing habits.

But I may give in yet and pick it up as a late-night practice whistle.

Walt
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

Good Grief! Get the Oak! Are you concerned about spending the 10 bucks?
What is this concern about developing lazy blowing habits???
The Oak is complex, and requires finesse...

The one I bought at Lark in the Morning is among my favorite whistles.

M

(disclaimer: not to say that 10 bucks isn't a lot of money to some folks... just trying to keep things in perspective)
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I agree on the Oak...it's a great whistle, probably the best value for money out there.

--James
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

vomitbunny wrote:Why do some people take an instant dislinking for Generations?
answere: It saves time.
Kidding aside. I have several. Most tweaked into fine whistles, and one came very good, if heavy on the ch-ch-chiffiness.
Me, I don't like how they play. They can be cantankerous and squeaky. And before anyone jumps up and blames me and not the whistle, I've got Mary Bergin's Feadoga Stain (the first one) and there are a couple squeaks there too ;)
Celtic983

Post by Celtic983 »

An Oak whistle was one of my first whistles. I hadn't played one in about a year. A few weeks ago, I picked it up again, and was truly amazed how fast I could play on my Oak. Does take finesse, but I agree, a nice whistle considering the price.
I then came home, and went whistling all over the house, much pleased with my whistle, but disturbing all the family.

Benjamin Franklin
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

I bought my first Generations some 30 years ago, and they are good instruments - have been from the start... especially the Bb. The newer ones I've gotten have not been as good, except for the Bb. My Jerry Freeman Tweeked was excellent, and I hope whoever has it appreciates it. :(

I play my D Burke most because it is my favorite of all I own, but I still love my other whistles, especially the Bb Gen.

I think the bad rep is, as someone above already pointed out, due to lack of quality control... they make them for the masses, not for the individual, and not for the sake of a good instrument... the Ds anyway.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
waltcamp45

Post by waltcamp45 »

Whistlin'Dixie wrote:Good Grief! Get the Oak!
Knees buckling ... fingers trembling ... resistance wavering -- the music shop is just down the road from my office (where I am now). Might stop by today after work.

Walt
Xopher

Post by Xopher »

anniemcu wrote:I bought my first Generations some 30 years ago................. My Jerry Freeman Tweeked was excellent, and I hope whoever has it appreciates it. :(
Would you say that a Freeman Tweeked Generation is better than a "good" Generation from the shop? And is it truly a classic Generation sound?
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Xopher wrote:
anniemcu wrote:I bought my first Generations some 30 years ago................. My Jerry Freeman Tweeked was excellent, and I hope whoever has it appreciates it. :(
Would you say that a Freeman Tweeked Generation is better than a "good" Generation from the shop? And is it truly a classic Generation sound?
Actually, I was mistaken... I had a tweeked Mellow Dog (which has disappeared, much to my consternation). I do know that Jerry tweeks new Gens (not so good) to sound like the classic old Gens (good). I would buy one from him with no hesitation.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com