Does anyone know why we say "tune" instead of song

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
colomon
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

Wombat wrote:BTW, what a talent Jon Hendricks has.
Absolutely. One of the greatest lyricists, a fine, fine singer, and a very nice man as well.

Though he usually forgets to tell me about gigs so I can put them on the webpage. :)
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
Adrian
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Adrian »

fearfaoin wrote:Ah, but baggins_21's question was "Why", for which we go to the
Etymology (also from m-w.com):

Song
Etymology: Middle English, from Old English sang;
akin to Old English singan to sing

Tune
Etymology: Middle English, alteration of tone

So, it looks like from the beginning, the word "tune" was based on the
tones (the notes) themselves, while the word "song" came from the
act of using the voice.

Interestingly the etymology of tone is "Middle English, from Latin
tonus tension, tone, from Greek tonos, literally, act of stretching;
akin to Greek teinein to stretch" ...makes me think of string instruments
(which you tune by stretching a string).

String is chorda in Latin from the Greek ... makes me think of vocal chord and therefore voice :lol:
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Adrian wrote:String is chorda in Latin from the Greek ... makes me think of vocal chord and therefore voice :lol:
Touche'.
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

tune = melody
song = words
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Denny

Post by Denny »

NancyF wrote:And what yet of "Chune"? :lol:

I had a lovely experience in Innishere playing a "chune" requested by the accordian busker at Dun Angus.
...so you take requests, eh? :twisted:

...just shutup and play...
-Anon-
Martin Milner
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Martin Milner »

because it's difficult to sing & play a whistle at the same time.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Wombat wrote:
colomon wrote: Ha! I'm Jon Hendricks' webmaster. I would certainly call his songs songs.
Amazing. I never know whether to think 'small world' or 'oh well, everybody hangs out here after all.'

Yep, no point in not calling them songs. The waters are muddy enough without needlessly worsening matters.

BTW, what a talent Jon Hendricks has.
Count me in on this as well, Jon Hendricks webmaster on the Chiff :boggle: :boggle: :boggle:

Slan,
D. :D
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

dubhlinn wrote:
Count me in on this as well, Jon Hendricks webmaster on the Chiff :boggle: :boggle: :boggle:
With El McMeen dropping in to say 'hi, and thanks for the compliments' a few days ago, I reckon we should be hearing from Jon himself any day now. :D
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

khl wrote:
Wanderer wrote:courtesy of www.m-w.com

Main Entry: tune
Pronunciation: 'tün, 'tyün
Function: noun
2 a : a succession of pleasing musical tones : MELODY b : a dominant theme

Main Entry: song
Pronunciation: 'so[ng]
Function: noun
3 a : a short musical composition of words and music
5 a : a melody for a lyric poem or ballad

Most of the definitions for tune imply a melody line...most of the definitions for song imply either a lyrical poem, something sung, or music intended to go along with singing.
So what about those things someone plays that may have (or had) lyrics, but that are mostly played on instruments now? I've been learning tunes from Ireland's Best Tin Whistle Tunes and The Complete Irish Tinwhistle Tunebook and so on only to find later that many have lyrics somewhere or other. Do I call them tunes or songs? Are the titles of the books, technically, wrong? Help. :-?
I'd call them "airs." The "air" is the tune of a song. That makes it clear that you're only playing the melody line and not actually singing.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Wombat wrote:
With El McMeen dropping in to say 'hi, and thanks for the compliments' a few days ago, I reckon we should be hearing from Jon himself any day now. :D
Last saturdaynight I had Kevin Crawford passing comments on our exchange with Screeeech, you never know who may be reading ;-) . ANyway, he got a good laugh out of it.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Peter Laban wrote:
Wombat wrote:
Last saturdaynight I had Kevin Crawford passing comments on our exchange with Screeeech, you never know who may be reading ;-) . ANyway, he got a good laugh out of it.
:lol: :lol:
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

Wombat wrote:
dubhlinn wrote: Count me in on this as well, Jon Hendricks webmaster on the Chiff :boggle: :boggle: :boggle:
Eh, I tried to teach Jon how to do a bit of websurfing a few years back, but I fear I wasn't the best of teachers. And as far as I know, he doesn't have any particular interest in whistles. Though he does do that bit in concert where he borrows a drumstick and (lip) whistles a solo while pretending it's a flute.

I got to be his webmaster through a happy chance. When he started teaching at the University of Toledo, the university's PR person there decided he should have a webpage. She searched online, and discovered I had a webpage that talked about Jon, and hey! -- I only lived a few hours away. (50 minutes now that I'm in Ann Arbor.) So she invited me down for a concert, introduced him to me, and asked me to do an official webpage for him. I was honored and delighted.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

colomon wrote:
Wombat wrote:
dubhlinn wrote: Count me in on this as well, Jon Hendricks webmaster on the Chiff :boggle: :boggle: :boggle:
Eh, I tried to teach Jon how to do a bit of websurfing a few years back, but I fear I wasn't the best of teachers. And as far as I know, he doesn't have any particular interest in whistles. Though he does do that bit in concert where he borrows a drumstick and (lip) whistles a solo while pretending it's a flute.

I got to be his webmaster through a happy chance. When he started teaching at the University of Toledo, the university's PR person there decided he should have a webpage. She searched online, and discovered I had a webpage that talked about Jon, and hey! -- I only lived a few hours away. (50 minutes now that I'm in Ann Arbor.) So she invited me down for a concert, introduced him to me, and asked me to do an official webpage for him. I was honored and delighted.
What a delightful job that must be.

Hey, since when do you have to be interested in whistles to hang out here? Any keen student of human nature would have a ball here and if anyone is a keen (well brilliant) student of human nature, Jon is. Songs like 'Twisted' and 'Gimme that Wine' just crack me up. And the solo to 'Cloudburst' must be one of the cleverest bits of lyric writing I've ever heard.
colomon

Post by colomon »

Wombat wrote:Songs like 'Twisted' and 'Gimme that Wine' just crack me up. And the solo to 'Cloudburst' must be one of the cleverest bits of lyric writing I've ever heard.
Actually, "Twisted" is one of Annie Ross's lyrics. :)

Complete agreement from me on "Cloudburst", it's a true gem.
Finn MacCool
Tell us something.: I enjoy networking with others about trad tunes and whistles, learning fingering techniques and searching for sesiuns
Location: Behind the Orange Curtain (Orange County, California, that is)

Post by Finn MacCool »

colomon wrote:The best known example is probably "Auntie Mary" (aka "Cock of the North"): "Auntie Mary had a canary up the leg of her drawers..."
I don't know whether to blush :oops: or giggle :lol: . "Auntie Mary, is that a canary in your drawers, or are you just happy to see me?"

:D
WhOA count: 20... and shopping