Whistle contest..with a prize and everything!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Wanderer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Whistle contest..with a prize and everything!

Post by Wanderer »

(I've wanted to do something like this for a long time...and I guess the spirit of the season is upon me...cleared with Dale)

First, the prize: One inexpensive whistle from the online whistle vendor of your choice (Elderly, the Whistle Shop, etc), valued at $20.00 or less (not including shipping), bought and paid for and sent to you 100% free.

The object: Guess the whistle in these two recordings. It's the same whistle in both.

http://www.tinwhistler.com/misc/contest/mystery.mp3
http://www.tinwhistler.com/misc/contest/mystery2.mp3

The rules: Only one guess per person. One, that's it.
All entries should consist of answers to these questions:

Approximate retail price?
Material the whistle is made of?

Closest match by 12-24-2005 wins. If you think you know the exact make of whistle, you may say that instead, and the first person to guess the exact make of the whistle wins, even if we haven't gotten to 12-24-05 yet. Going back and editing your posts to change your guess is grounds for disqualification from winning, so be sure of your guess before you post. Discussion amongst yourselves in this thread is encouraged, unless you want to play things close to the vest.

Good luck!
Last edited by Wanderer on Sat Dec 24, 2005 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Butterfly
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Butterfly »

I think it's a Shaw..
:) Rini
Sylvester

Post by Sylvester »

:lol: very good wanderer! ...uhmmm...breathy...reminds me of an old unpainted tin Clarke with wooden fipple. Through the years, I used mine a lot and got a strange plumb colour and the wooden piece a bit worn out. Besides...that D sounds slightly out of tune...hey!!! that's my whistle!!! :swear: where have you been wandering around recently? I forgot turning the whistle-alarm on again... :P
Reel
Asturian Air

Audare est Facere
Mustafva

Post by Mustafva »

I've listened to the clips several times but I don't know what whistle it is. Maybe a Village Smithy Eb?
Feadin

Post by Feadin »

I believe it's a Jerry Freeman tweaked Clarke Sweetone in D, material is tin and plastic as far as I know, and retail price is $15 in The Irish Flute Store.
I know the sweetone doesn't seems so much breathy but it could have been played with the window very close to the mic :) Also, I was going to say a Shaw, too, but as it was already said I thought I'll try this one :)
Cristian Feldman
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

Wanderer seems rather confident in the obscurity of the make of this whistle. And I'd take it that it's not one listed on his website as having been reviewed (though that's still a possiblity). I would also assume that is it not one of the whistles that Wanderer gave as wanting in trade on another thread.

I don't think Sweetones come in Eb (which is the key of the recordings). Village Smithy is, quote the website, "available in Soprano D only," though it could very well have been a special order.

I am going to hold off on my guess for a bit.

Oh, and I would like to point out also that Wanderer has, in a similar thread to this one, pulled out some ancient, first-generation whistle by a maker that has since dissolved. I can't remember specifically what it was, but don't think he can't find an obscure whistle! :lol:
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
ShadowBG625
Tell us something.: I've been a member of the forum for several years. Just poking my head to catch up on all the latest happenings, as well as checking out the FS/WTB page.

Post by ShadowBG625 »

I think its a Clare 2-piece D tuned out oddly (Brass with plastic mouthpiece; $12.90 @ The Whistle Shop). Clares are chiffy/breathy to begin with, as was mine, until I tweaked it.

...all my guesses came down to that...I have others, but this is my final guess. The Shadow Has Spoken! :lol:
Blackbeer

Post by Blackbeer »

Well I think its a Gen Eb in brass. Course that might be because I miss mine so much. :)

Take care

Tom
NancyF

Post by NancyF »

Tweaked Shaw pressed metal around 2003

NancyF
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

I've settled on a LBW.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
NancyF

Post by NancyF »

ooo i like congrats idea too

NancyF
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I'll say Shaw whistle in E-flat.

--James
greenspiderweb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by greenspiderweb »

How about a Generation Bb in brass...or nickel? Does that count as two guesses? I suppose it does, so I'll go with brass.
~~~~
Barry
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

I think its a recorder. Just like the one Capn Kirk played on that space movie. Nyuk.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Congrats is probably right unless it is in Eb I can't tell with out a Whistle in my hand. An LBW is the first thing that popped to my head and I have spent a lot of time with those.