Now I'm a fully-fledged member of the whistle-world - I hope

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Katta
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Now I'm a fully-fledged member of the whistle-world - I hope

Post by Katta »

... all I need do now is learn how to play properly... :D

But at least now I own a beautiful Burke Soprano D (aluminium narrow bore) and an Overton (Goldie) Low D which I love - and can sometimes play without those wheezing noises when I didn't completely cover all the holes... :wink:

Just wanted to show off really... :D
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Great stuff! Practice, practice, practice.

Weclome and good luck!
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Adrian wrote:Great stuff! Practice, practice, practice.

Weclome and good luck!
Welcome to our world!

Fortunately, practice on the whistle is also FUN, so it's not really a chore.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
oskan_oskula

Post by oskan_oskula »

Fun indeed! I played my first high C today on my Clarke traditional. Just this week I've become able to play the second octave clearly and with precision. Not only is practicing on the whistle fun, you make noticeable progress every time you do!
Good luck!
Blessings and Song!
~May V. Oskan.
shadeclan

Post by shadeclan »

You know, it's nice to be involved in something where the people are kind and giving, no matter how much or little experience one has with the whistle, or how well one can play. I have been amazed by the generosity of Mr. Freeman giving away his "MellowDog" leftovers, the various sites offering whistle lessons for no compensation , etc. all of which bespeaks of a community of really good guys who care about the instrument more than their self-aggrandizement. I am glad that I found out about whistling and I hope to be good enough to legitimately play in front of people someday.

I will be playing in front of people within 2 weeks however - I hope that I don't look or sound like a total a**. My wife will be singing at our church and I will be accompanying her, along with several professional "gulp" musicians (including a floutist :o) - it was the price I had to pay for getting my "MellowDog D" as an early Christmas present (I had to have it right away, Jerry!). I have been practicing the music for several weeks, both on my "MellowDog" and my self-tweaked Generation Nickel "D" and I almost have the fingering down - hopefully by the time of the performance, I will be able to put a little feeling into it, too. Wish me luck and, if anyone wants to send me a blindfold for the firing squad, please feel free :).
We've got a date with destiny . . . and it looks like she's ordered the lobster!
-Shoveler
dfernandez77
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

Feel the force fledgling. :D

You'll enjoy the learning. :thumbsup:
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
Key_of_D

Post by Key_of_D »

oskan_oskula wrote:Fun indeed! I played my first high C today on my Clarke traditional. Just this week I've become able to play the second octave clearly and with precision. Not only is practicing on the whistle fun, you make noticeable progress every time you do!
Good luck!
How do you like your Clarke? The C I mean. I own one, and I love the breathy tone for some tunes, almost Irish Flute like. You may find that playing tunes on it is challenging due to the air requirements, but, it's definitly a fun whistle. I get light-headed after a while though, playing it and blowing so much air.... :D Good times.

Welcome to the whistle Katta. It's a great little instrument eh? I just got a a Burke D aluminum narrow bore yesterday, and I must say, that particular whistle just made me like playing one a whole lot more. :)
oskan_oskula

Post by oskan_oskula »

Key_of_D wrote:
oskan_oskula wrote:Fun indeed! I played my first high C today on my Clarke traditional. Just this week I've become able to play the second octave clearly and with precision. Not only is practicing on the whistle fun, you make noticeable progress every time you do!
Good luck!
How do you like your Clarke? The C I mean. I own one, and I love the breathy tone for some tunes, almost Irish Flute like. You may find that playing tunes on it is challenging due to the air requirements, but, it's definitly a fun whistle. I get light-headed after a while though, playing it and blowing so much air.... :D Good times.
Luckily before I was a whistler I was a singer, a flute/piccolo player, and then an Irish flute player-- I'm used to using a lot of air! The Clarke is the first whistle I bought, and the only one I currently have with me. It's really the only one I've played. I'm curious to see how much less of a blowhard I have to be when I get home to the Feadog that's waiting for me. :lol:

I think the Clarke was nice to start with, simply because of that breathy, sweet sound. It's hard to put up with squeaks and squawks on a more aggressive-sounding instrument. A great whistle for slow airs, too-- which I love to warm up with, and in the TINY DORMITORY I live in with two other girls, I'm sure they appreciate the subtlety of the tone. :wink:

The most beautiful sound I've heard thus far (in my limited experience listening), though, is the Syn D... I want one. Bad.
Blessings and Song!
~May V. Oskan.
jbarter

Re: Now I'm a fully-fledged member of the whistle-world - I

Post by jbarter »

Katta wrote:... all I need do now is learn how to play properly... :D
Don't we all Katta, don't we all. :D
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
Key_of_D

Post by Key_of_D »

oskan_oskula wrote:
Key_of_D wrote:
Good luck!
Luckily before I was a whistler I was a singer, a flute/piccolo player, and then an Irish flute player-- I'm used to using a lot of air! The Clarke is the first whistle I bought, and the only one I currently have with me. It's really the only one I've played. I'm curious to see how much less of a blowhard I have to be when I get home to the Feadog that's waiting for me. :lol:

I think the Clarke was nice to start with, simply because of that breathy, sweet sound. It's hard to put up with squeaks and squawks on a more aggressive-sounding instrument. A great whistle for slow airs, too-- which I love to warm up with, and in the TINY DORMITORY I live in with two other girls, I'm sure they appreciate the subtlety of the tone. :wink:

The most beautiful sound I've heard thus far (in my limited experience listening), though, is the Syn D... I want one. Bad.

Well, Looks like with your musical background, those original Clarkes should be a piece of cake! I'm not sure if I have the lung power to do my C Clarke justice for some tunes. I still like it, and the D original Clarke was my first whistle. I remember when I bought my first plastic headed whistle, a Clarke Sweetone in D. I thought that was quite a jump down in air requirement... You'll get use to it though. However, you might find yourself squaking a lot due to the lesser air needed to support the whistle. Then once you get use to those, you might start squaking on the Clarkes because you got use to not blowing as much. Unless you have a good memory... Unlike me... :lol:

Well, I own a Syn C, and it has a sweet tone. I like it. It clogs too easily unless you treat the fipple with a soapy solution. But other then that, they're great whistles. Well, the C I can speak for. I wouldn't mind owning a D though. Well, enjoy!
oskan_oskula

Post by oskan_oskula »

Key_of_D wrote: Well, I own a Syn C, and it has a sweet tone. I like it. It clogs too easily unless you treat the fipple with a soapy solution. But other then that, they're great whistles. Well, the C I can speak for. I wouldn't mind owning a D though. Well, enjoy!
Yep, just poked some Dr. Bronners into my Clarke a minute ago-- works like a charm! :)
Do you know where I could get a good deal on a Syn? From the perusals I've made online, they seem pretty obscure compared to other whistles. And there's no music shop in this town, let alone one rad enough to carry whistles... phooey!
Blessings and Song!
~May V. Oskan.
Katta

Post by Katta »

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I'm getting better with the low d - now it actually sounds like it could be music ... :wink:

So the couple notes I have to learn for a christmas service should work out alright (my friend will be playing the melody on her beautiful flute) -it might even sound nice, you'll never know.. :D
Key_of_D

Post by Key_of_D »

[/quote] Yep, just poked some Dr. Bronners into my Clarke a minute ago-- works like a charm! :)
Do you know where I could get a good deal on a Syn? From the perusals I've made online, they seem pretty obscure compared to other whistles. And there's no music shop in this town, let alone one rad enough to carry whistles... phooey![/quote]

Well, I bought my Syn from http://www.gaeliccrossings.com/store/ They're located out here where I'm from just east of Phoenix in Scottsdale. Look it up, see what you think. Although my Syn came with a lose tuning slide that Erle (the guy who makes 'em if you didn't know) helped me fix. Others have reported their Syn's coming to them covered in grease or something like grease. They had to clean 'em up real good. But they do clean up quite nicely if I don't say so myself. This is all what I know about these whistles, and they do play nice and clean. I just need to find a soapy solution for the clogging that lasts longer than Surf laundry detergant! :lol: Good luck,

-Eric