guido dot gonzato Low tech whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Strine
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

guido dot gonzato Low tech whistle

Post by Strine »

Fantastic, simple and easy to make and just the thing to get me started on making whistles. I knocked one out before I went to work on Friday.

http://science.univr.it/~gonzato/whistle/

But can I add something to the pudding. The cover over the fipple plug is cut from the stuff you're making the whistle out of and split down the back. It then slips easily over the plug making a nice airtight fit. I assume that pvc pipe can't be had in neat fit size reductions and splitting the cover is a simple solution.

Another solution is just as simple but means you don't have to cut the plug cover. PVC when heated (not burnt) over the gas stove bcomes malleable and retains shape once cooled. So... heat up the end of some of your PVC and shove it over another piece. When it's cool, eh presto, a block cover that is a nice neat fit.

The whistle I made had a wooden plug turned on the lathe from the first stuff I saw; a bit of pine. No good, it sucked up water like a sponge and ruined all my sanding.

Continuing on from the bit about heating PVC above I heated another bit and shoved it inside a bit of scrap PVC. Eh presto again, a piece of pipe to fit snuggly inside the whistle bore. Now I have a PVC windway and no problem with moisture attacking the fipple block.

Does that make sense? Looking at the end before a mouthpiece is shaped you would see three PVC tubes one inside the other. The middle one is the whistle proper the outer one is the fipple block cover and the inner one is the fipple block itself which has to be filled with a wooden plug.

Needless to say but here it is anyway; SAFETY FIRST
ctilbury

Post by ctilbury »

I have been told that heating PVC pipe in hot cooking oil will also soften it to make it easy to work. I have not tried it, though.
Happy Whistling!
-=ChuckT=-
www.whistlemaker.com
ShadowBG625
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been a member of the forum for several years. Just poking my head to catch up on all the latest happenings, as well as checking out the FS/WTB page.

Post by ShadowBG625 »

Sometimes, I'll use a hot crafting iron (like a soldering iron, but with more attachments...like a woodburner) to cut the windways and such, and to soften up the blade to I can bend it down to where the sound comes out cleaner and smoother.

In the process of making something really neat...
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Fantastic instructions. ANYONE should be able to make a whistle or two with these.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
ShadowBG625
Tell us something.: I've been a member of the forum for several years. Just poking my head to catch up on all the latest happenings, as well as checking out the FS/WTB page.

Post by ShadowBG625 »

Yeah, the first instrument I ever made (bamboo flute) was made without any knowledge of the logistics of instrument building. After a while, I decided to tackle whistlemaking, and I came across that site. I committed myself to putting those instructions to memory, and with the help of Daniel's TWCalc, and basic trial/error, I can make a whistle at my leisure.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

You know, even if a person isn't planning on making a lot of whistles or even a perfect one for himself, I think it would be good to make one because that way you will understand how a whistle really works and that cannot help but make you a better player. That is a neat website.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
ShadowBG625

Post by ShadowBG625 »

ShadowBG625 wrote:...

In the process of making something really neat...
I finished it.
John F.

Post by John F. »

As someone who has started playing whistle and flute, oh, maybe 2 weeks ago, I was thrilled to find these great instructions on whistle construction. Now I should be able to make my own whistles, which will go with the "D" and "G" flutes I've already made! :D

My local hardware store owners just love me... :lol:
Welcome to Uncle John's "Home for Unwanted and Misfit Flutes and Whistles".
mikey_r

Post by mikey_r »

I've made a couple of whistles using these instructions and then also adapted them to copper pipe. I really like the idea of the block cover because it locates the bottom of the blade almost exactly at the same height as the top of the fipple block - something very difficult to achieve with PVC if you have to cut a channel in the block to make the windway. The B-flat whistle I made from 3/4" PVC using these instructions is one of my favorites.

For copper tubing, I found that I did need to cut a channel - the tubing is too thin to make a proper windway otherwise - but I made a C-sharp (It was supposed to be a C whistle, but you know - stuff happens :D ) whistle from 1/2 copper tubing using the same notion of a block cover (not slit - made from a connector) that is also very nice. It's hard to beat the price of these whistles, and they're a lot of fun to make. If you take a little trouble, you can also make them look pretty nice, and it's really cool to be able to experiment with different parameters first hand. Does it count as WhOA if you make them yourself?
ctilbury

Post by ctilbury »

mikey_r wrote:Does it count as WhOA if you make them yourself?
I personally think there should be a another officially recognized disorder called Whistle Obsessive Making Disorder (Whom or Whomd (i always cut myself when playing with sharp objects)). This disorder applies to anyone who compulsively cleans out their stash of PVC or copper pipe in order to try that other tweak they saw on the C&F site. Picture a disheveled individual with bandaids on their hands walking slow through the plumbing section of the hardware store as in a trance, humming some unrecognizable jig. Then you will know the full scope of WhOMD. We must help these poor individuals. I think we should form a support group.

Happy Making!
Happy Whistling!
-=ChuckT=-
www.whistlemaker.com
Tommy

Re: guido dot gonzato Low tech whistle

Post by Tommy »

Strine wrote:

The whistle I made had a wooden plug turned on the lathe from the first stuff I saw; a bit of pine. No good, it sucked up water like a sponge and ruined all my sanding.
A very smooth surface can be made on wood by continuing the process you started. Sand the wood smooth first then wet it and the grain will rise. Let it dry and wet it again and the wood will rise a little less. Let it dry and sand. About two or three times should get it very smooth and not rising. Then coat it with something safe since it is close to the mouth.
olive oil.
ctilbury

Post by ctilbury »

Tommy wrote:
Strine wrote:

A very smooth surface can be made on wood by continuing the process you started. Sand the wood smooth first then wet it and the grain will rise. Let it dry and wet it again and the wood will rise a little less. Let it dry and sand. About two or three times should get it very smooth and not rising. Then coat it with something safe since it is close to the mouth.
olive oil.
Or you can melt some beeswax and soak the plug for a few seconds. That will water proof it completely. You can buy beeswax at most craft sores. And it smells good. <<grin>>
Happy Whistling!
-=ChuckT=-
www.whistlemaker.com
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

ctilbury wrote:
mikey_r wrote:Does it count as WhOA if you make them yourself?
I personally think there should be a another officially recognized disorder called Whistle Obsessive Making Disorder (Whom or Whomd (i always cut myself when playing with sharp objects)). This disorder applies to anyone who compulsively cleans out their stash of PVC or copper pipe in order to try that other tweak they saw on the C&F site. Picture a disheveled individual with bandaids on their hands walking slow through the plumbing section of the hardware store as in a trance, humming some unrecognizable jig. Then you will know the full scope of WhOMD. We must help these poor individuals. I think we should form a support group.

Happy Making!
Yes! Except for me, it involves singing the dirtier versed of Lanigan's Ball in the plumbing section.
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

ctilbury wrote: Or you can melt some beeswax and soak the plug for a few seconds. That will water proof it completely. You can buy beeswax at most craft sores. And it smells good. <<grin>>
While your piece is on the lathe, try holding a beesway candle to it, then burnishing the wax into the wood with the back of cloth sandpaper. I use this on utensils, tool handles, plugs, conducting batons, and bowls. Regular old parafin wax works well too.

The downside is that after waxing, glue won't stick. Pinning or pressure-fitting still works.
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
ctilbury

Post by ctilbury »

I bought a bunch of #2 x 1/4" solid brass wood screws to use as pins. They work great.
Happy Whistling!
-=ChuckT=-
www.whistlemaker.com