Whistles to start with..

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
prokart
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Whistles to start with..

Post by prokart »

Hi people, I am new to this forum and I think this website is absolutly wicked.
Anyway, I am getting my first whistle real soon, and I narrowed down to these four models: Clarke Sweetone, Clarke Classic, Susato V series one piece model, and Feadog Original. Could you guys give me some suggestions so I can choose from these four??

Anything will be greatly appreciated.
Screeeech!!!

Post by Screeeech!!! »

The Clark original is a very nice whistle although it does take a lot of air to keep it going. You can tweek this out though if you're careful.

I also have a Feadog that i tweaked and that's a good whistle as well. I use it as my slumming whistle to take to places i wouldn't take an expensive one.

I tried some susatos in Hobgoblin just after i started playing and i really didn't like their tone.

Never tried a Sweetone.
IDAwHOa
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Of the four, the Feadog seems to get the best press, followed by the tweaked Clark.

Jerry Freeman sells a tweaked Sweetone on eBay for about $15 if you can go that high. He is well regarded for his tweaking, on wistles that is! :boggle:
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I sarted with a Sweetone and it was one of my favorite cheapies so that is what I recommend.
ShadowBG625
Tell us something.: I've been a member of the forum for several years. Just poking my head to catch up on all the latest happenings, as well as checking out the FS/WTB page.

Post by ShadowBG625 »

IDAwHOa wrote:Of the four, the Feadog seems to get the best press...
No arguments here... :thumbsup:
S.B.O'Gill

Post by S.B.O'Gill »

If I was you I would stay away from a Clarke Meg like it was the black death! Hah hah hah hah! I'm not that far behind you mate. A Meg was my first and as soon as my Feadog arrives in a couple of days I'm going to flatten the end of my Meg and make a crook on it and use it as a back scratcher--to prevent it from be a total waste of my money! Alternatively, I've considered using my Meg as paint stirring stick or flattening out the wide end and using it as a camp spoon. I didn't want to try a Sweet Tone because it is so similar to a Meg.
ShadowBG625
Tell us something.: I've been a member of the forum for several years. Just poking my head to catch up on all the latest happenings, as well as checking out the FS/WTB page.

Post by ShadowBG625 »

S.B.O'Gill wrote:Clarke Meg...black death!...a back scratcher...a paint stirring stick...a camp spoon.
Robert Clarke is probably rolling over in his grave! :lol:
Crevan

Post by Crevan »

My first whistle was a Clarke original tweaked by The Whistle Shop. It is still one of my favourites. Also, out of the four, I would choose the Susato but would change it to an S bore. As you can see, everyone has a different opinion. The best option, and I'm not kidding, would be to get all four of the ones you mentioned. They're very cheap, you will quickly pick a favourite and you will better understand what you want in a whistle.
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Actually Crevan has a great idea. If you want I would be happy to buy one of those Whistles and tweak it for you.
Butterfly

Post by Butterfly »

I would go for the Clarke Sweetone. Personally I think that the Susato is not a beginners' whistle. At least I didn't care for it that much, so I changed it for a Burke narrow bore brass, which it just great.
:) Rini
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

Try Sweetone.
The most simple player, and good not irritable sound.
Happy whistling!
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Crevan wrote:My first whistle was a Clarke original tweaked by The Whistle Shop. It is still one of my favourites. .
My first whistle was one of these, too, and it's still one of my favorites. Nice, nice whistle. Very pleasant.
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

I'm brand new to whistles myself (no wind experience at all). Just last week I got a Sweetone and a Feadog from the The Whistle Shop - both in D.

I like them both, but I think I like the Sweetone a little more. It's a little softer in tone, as well as a little easier in the second octave for me.

The Feadog has a little more metallic sound with noticeably more bite, so I like that about it. It also seems like it squeaks easier than the Sweetone for me as a new player.

I like playing them both, but I like the Sweetone a little better. Experience may change that though. I'm glad I got both of them as they are noticeably different, but both enjoyable.

I played a friend's Generation C in nickel for a week and it was much more squeaky-squawky for me - again being new.

Jason
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

I had access to a nice music store when I started out, and of the many cheapies I bought, the Sweetone was the easiest to play, so it was my favorite.
I think experience will change a lot of things for you.
The Feadog is a whistle I really didn't like at first, but it is now one of my favorites, along with the Oak. I think it takes a lot of finesse to play it well. Perhaps it would be worth getting one, and sticking with it.

I have a new favorite in my O'Briain Improved.
It takes the finesse I was talking about, but I can't imagine it getting much better than that, for the trad sound I'm looking for. I believe it is a tweaked Feadog, actually.

M