Recommend a couple of whistles for a newbie?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Tommy
antispam: No

Post by Tommy »

That same question of how to pronounce Feadog has come up before.
I pronunce it Feadog. :D
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

Ah, so it's pronounced just as I suspected. Feadog.

Well I just ordered about an hour ago. I got the Sweetone and the Feadog, both in D and both in black.

I didn't get enough votes for the Clare early enough, so I ordered the Feadog. However, I'm considering changing my order to the Clare. It was a toss-up between the two. From the soundclips I was able to find, the Clare sounded fuller and richer, while the Feadog sounded tinny with more bite.

I'm not sure I know which I'd like better. Is this the part where I start buying every whistle I see? :)

Seriously, does anyone have both the Clare one piece and the Feadog that can comment? I could probably change my order since tomorrow is Sunday. I ordered from the Whistle Shop.

Thanks,
Jason
Chiffed
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Chiffed »

Yer gonna have all of them eventually. The addiction has only just begun.
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
jkrazy52

Post by jkrazy52 »

I've had a Clare 2-piece and a Feadog. I liked the Clare better ... but everyone has different opinions, and different tastes. You might as well get the Feadog now ... the Clare next week ... then it will be an Oak, Dixon .... gotta have a Burke ... and so it goes! :D

My first whistle (also from The Whistle Shop) was a tweeked Clark Original ... still one of the sweetest sounding whistles I own.

Enjoy!

Judy
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Jason Paul wrote:Ah, so it's pronounced just as I suspected. Feadog.

Well I just ordered about an hour ago. I got the Sweetone and the Feadog, both in D and both in black.

I didn't get enough votes for the Clare early enough, so I ordered the Feadog. However, I'm considering changing my order to the Clare. It was a toss-up between the two. From the soundclips I was able to find, the Clare sounded fuller and richer, while the Feadog sounded tinny with more bite.

I'm not sure I know which I'd like better. Is this the part where I start buying every whistle I see? :)

Seriously, does anyone have both the Clare one piece and the Feadog that can comment? I could probably change my order since tomorrow is Sunday. I ordered from the Whistle Shop.

Thanks,
Jason
Seriously, just change the order to all three and ask the whistle shop if you can return one?
Byll
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

Hello Jason, and welcome. I am interested in your comment about kites. I have been a committed stunt kiter for years. I have not purchased much lately, because I have what I want and need, but your investment of $1200 approaches what I have invested. I have a stunt (sport) kite club at my school, and work with a lot of individuals and groups, instructing the kite pilots and generally helping out...I also enjoy power kiting. I am not a large person, and an 8 foot Flexi in 20+ mile/hour winds can throw me around and lift me, pretty well. One of our sons and our daughter are also ardent stunt/power kiters. When it comes to power kiting, I watch my son in awe. I am almost 60 years old. His 22 years on this earth make him more flexible and a lot stronger...

Welcome to the world of whistles.

Best.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

Hi Byll,

Feel free to join the Gone With The Wind forum if you haven't already. It's a great and pretty busy forum full of friendly helpful people - like this place. Here's a link:

http://www.gwtw-kites.com/forum/

You'll probably have to register to read and post, but it's a great forum. You'll find plenty of posts by me there. :D

I'm into sportkites, both dual and quad (mostly quad - Revolution - these days). I've been flying a little over three years and have around 15 kites. Not a huge collection, but a pretty good one. The French are currently dominating the high-end dual line market, but there will always be a demand for the classic American builders like Blue Moon, Peter Betancourt and a few other one-man shows.

A bit of sad news. I don't know if you know who Paul Shirey is (Aerostar Sportkites in your neck of the woods - PA), but after building top-notch kites for about 11 years, he's had to close up shop. Luckily, I was able to get a Spica Pro a while back.

If you want to check out my kites (most of them), feel free to visit my Webshots page here:

http://community.webshots.com/user/jason_paul

And click on "Some of my kites".

Anyway, I don't want to cover the whistle forum with kite stuff, so feel free to PM or email me. Or better yet, join the Gone With the Wind forum and visit with all of us there!

Thanks,
Jason
Ridseard

Post by Ridseard »

Unless you're really, really lucky, no cheap whistle right out of the box beats the playability of the Sweetone. Getting a Jerry-tweaked Sweetone is icing in the cake.

Ridseard
At night, in those corners of our minds we deny by day, magical things can happen in the moon shadows. And if they can't, a) they should, and b) we should always in any event act as if they can. --Roger Ebert
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

Sweetones are a good starter because they are quite forgiving of beginners. Many people outgrow them and decide that they no longer like the tone, but I still think they sound ok.

The Feadog, on the other hand, is one that I can't imagine ever outgrowing. Feadogs are very good indeed. I heartily recommend the nickel model. The tubes are very nicely in tune, unlike many others. The only thing is that a Feadog will cruelly show up your mistakes in breath control and fingering, and many people find them squawky and harsh. Once you get the hang of them, that couldn't be further from the truth.

There is a simple little tweak that can be done to a Feadog with a bit of putty or blu tac which makes it a lot easier to cope with. If you get one we'll be able to tell you how to tweak it - it's dead simple.

So my vote would be to get a Sweetone and a Feadog. The former for when you need your whistle to be gentle with you, and the latter for when you're feeling like you *really* want to learn!

I agree with the advice not to start with a Dixon. Much as I love them, they won't really prepare you for most of the other types you may meet.

Good luck.

Edited to say: Actually I seem to remember that Feadog should be pronounced Fah-dogue, or similar. I have no idea, I'm another who generally says Feadog and doesn't worry about it until someone laughs.
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
scheky

Post by scheky »

Am I the only one who still loves Oaks? Of all the beginner whistles, the Oak is my favorite.

Oaks tend to be very unforgiving and makes one learn to control their breath from the start. That's one of the best lessons to learn as a whistler imo.
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Yes, I'd recommend a couple of whistles for a newbie. Get one in C and one in D and yer set. Brand doesn't matter much.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

It is not pronounced "fee-dog", but rather:

Fah-doh-g

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... e&start=15

I dislike sweetones a lot. I think you'd be much better off with the Feadog and with the clare. Oh well, they are cheap, and it really doesn't matter. Any whistle will do. After all, it's the player, not the whistle that makes tracks like <a href=http://www.rogermillington.com/tunetoc/index.html> these</a> sound good.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

As a beginner you should buy Feadog C & D, Clare D, Sweetone C & D, Oaks C & D, Clarks original C & D, Walton Mellow D, Walton nickle D, Walton brass C, Walton's LBW D, and a Generation in every key. THEN you will know what people are talking about. You WILL get them all in the end anyway (as someone else said). Next month you can order your first Susato......
ShadowBG625
Tell us something.: I've been a member of the forum for several years. Just poking my head to catch up on all the latest happenings, as well as checking out the FS/WTB page.

Post by ShadowBG625 »

Adrian wrote:As a beginner you should buy Feadog C & D, Clare D, Sweetone C & D, Oaks C & D, Clarks original C & D, Walton Mellow D, Walton nickle D, Walton brass C, Walton's LBW D, and a Generation in every key. THEN you will know what people are talking about. You WILL get them all in the end anyway (as someone else said). Next month you can order your first Susato......
You're right with ending up with all of them. However, I cannot stand Oaks...had bad experiences with all that I had.

And personally, I'd bypass the Susato and go ahead with a Dixon. :party:
MacNeil

Post by MacNeil »

Adrian wrote:As a beginner you should buy Feadog C & D, Clare D, Sweetone C & D, Oaks C & D, Clarks original C & D, Walton Mellow D, Walton nickle D, Walton brass C, Walton's LBW D, and a Generation in every key. THEN you will know what people are talking about. You WILL get them all in the end anyway (as someone else said). Next month you can order your first Susato......
I'll make it simpler (if a bit more costly):

Contact Jerry Freeman and order:

- One tweaked Sweetone. Try it out, and see if you like the Sweetone's breathy quality. If so, great. If not, and it's too breathy for you, keep it anyway -- you'll probably want it for certain pieces where you need that "windblown" quality.

- One tweaked Generation set. It's the only way to get a reliable set of whistles in all keys.

and last, but most definitely not least,

- One Mellow Dog. Why bother with picking up several Waltons and Feadogs, when you can have the best of both makes in one instrument? Play it for a few hours or so, and see if, by the time you're done, it hasn't become the whistle you immediately reach for when a D is needed.

I'm not kidding. Not only did I become a Mellow Dog convert from the time I picked one up last Wednesday afternoon to the time I stopped playing early Thursday morning, but I brought it to the Tacoma Celtic Players session on Saturday, and now the leader of those sessions has become a convert, too, vowing to everyone in attendance to get his own Dog A.S.A.P. (He probably has one by now.)

I'm not saying that it's the best whistle I've ever played...but the only one I can think of that clearly bested it costs almost ten times as much, and comes with "Copeland" engraved on the fipple. :wink: