Pets and whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
RonKiley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by RonKiley »

I don't have any pets. However while I was at my daughters place I went out on the deck and played in the cool of the morning. The dogs in the neighborhood all joined in especially when I played my Eb. I didn't bring a Gen F or G to try.

While playing in their living room there were several birds that kept coming to the window. I don't know what their opinion was but they came whenever I played.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
FJohnSharp
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

My doberman used to howl but now he ignores it. But he still howls at my son's trumpet playing.

My other pets don't care either way.

I run a dog and cat boarding kennel and I often play out there in the evenings to avoid annoying the family. Those dogs always bark when there are people in the kennel, but when I play (they can't see me) they're quiet. They don't associate the whistle with people.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
khl
Tell us something.: Longtime member of Chiff and Fipple. I own/have owned more whistles than a person should, I think. But I’m not complaining.

Post by khl »

We don't have any pets. Our house, however, is inhabited inside and out by geckos. We welcome these because they help keep the unwanted pest popultaion under control. They're also (some say) a sign of good luck in Hawaii.

Geckos will generally stay hidden and quiet in the day, but emerge at night and will sound clicks and what is best described as a laughing-like high pitched bark. I've noted, however, that they will start responding when I'm playing whistle (even during the day)--especially if I play quick, high notes or "chirp". The first time I noticed this, I heard one of them "clicking" and saw it poking his/her head above the curtains in the music room. I'm not certain what signals I'm sending (one can only imagine), but it's fun and interesting.
Keith
Phil Hardy

Dogit!

Post by Phil Hardy »

I have a Irish Staf called Dogit and she has suffered my whistle playing for 3 years now.
When I'm mixing a track she just resigns herself to the basket and breaths heavily.
I wish the wife was so abliging.
Phil.
curioso

Post by curioso »

Hmmm... This would make an interesting topic for a documentary! Any budding cinematographers out there? You could even go on location to a zoo and check the response of REALLY big cats... :lol:
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Both my cats are very annoyed by my whistle. But they won't go to another part of the house on their own, they insist on staying in the room and fussing. Flora actually tries to knock the whistle out of my hands and nips me on the chin---I think she wants my attention focused on her. Lilly paces back and forth and keeps up her very loud scolding and I think she feels my playing is a needless addition of more uproar to her life. I have to close the door to the room which then causes hurt feelings, more scolding and banging. But they do give up after a few minutes. My little darling ones. :roll:

I would not be wanting to try this around REALLY big cats, that's for sure! :lol:
Jennie

Post by Jennie »

My golden retriever Jasmine is much happier about my whistle playing since she's gone deaf. Now if only I could do the same for my husband! :wink: But that's a separate thread.

I have a book of music written specifically for training birds, "The Bird Fancyer's Delight." Different keys depending on the birds. I haven't tried adapting it for whistle, and I don't have any birds, but it would be fun to try! I bought it because the pieces all sound so chirrupy and bird-like. Lots of throat trills.

Jennie
dyersituations

Post by dyersituations »

The animals in our house usually leave the room when I start playing, but I don't know if I should take offense to that. When my mom used to play the harmonica our huge 20 lbs siemese would get up in her face, literally, and meow at her until she stopped. He would also put his paw on her face and harmonica. I think my mom finally got the message, she plays the mandolin now.

-Casey :D
Life is good.
Whistling Willie
Tell us something.: I love whistling and I have been a member of this forum for many years now.I have found it very informative and helpful over the years that I have been here.

Post by Whistling Willie »

curioso wrote:Hmmm... This would make an interesting topic for a documentary! Any budding cinematographers out there? You could even go on location to a zoo and check the response of REALLY big cats... :lol:
I think I would leave that to someone else...they are way too big for me :o
"Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated"
ninjaaron

Post by ninjaaron »

My pets (wisely) all passed on before I started playing the whistle. My mom (who is kinda like a pet) likes it unless I play while she is sleeping, which has been the cause of much yelling on several occasions.
Everyone likes music