Stress, what stress?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
perrins57
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Stress, what stress?

Post by perrins57 »

Anybody else found taking up the whistle a great stress reliever? I often find a few minutes tootling helps me put things in perspective and restore some calm (until the neighbours start hammering the wall).
Maybe if Tom Cruise had suggested whistles instead of Scientology, as an aid to relief of postnatal depression, he wouldn't have got in such a pickle?
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

(Name's Mark btw)
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

I found playing the whistle to be very stressful.
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

Isn't the whistle an interesting instrument, easy to play difficult to master. Relieves stress while simultaneously creating sress. They can be so cheap people think they are only toys or so expensive as to stagger the pocketbook.

Don't you just love them.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
dyersituations
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by dyersituations »

The more you play and the better you get, the more stress-relieving it is - because after a while you can just get in the "zone" and crank out toons, and for me it can be greatly relaxing. I love music. :)
Life is good.
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Re: Stress, what stress?

Post by colomon »

perrins57 wrote:Anybody else found taking up the whistle a great stress reliever? I often find a few minutes tootling helps me put things in perspective and restore some calm...
Absolutely, 100%. That's why I've got some that live full time on my office desk.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

RonKiley wrote:Isn't the whistle an interesting instrument, easy to play difficult to master. Relieves stress while simultaneously creating sress. They can be so cheap people think they are only toys or so expensive as to stagger the pocketbook.

Don't you just love them.

Ron

Well said.
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I totally agree. Once a person is decent at Flute it relives stress soooooo much more than Whistle ever did well that is for me any way.
talimirr743

Post by talimirr743 »

I love burning dragonsblood incense, and playing the whistle. To me it is a big stress reliever.
Last edited by talimirr743 on Tue Sep 06, 2005 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
perrins57

Post by perrins57 »

talimirr743 wrote:I love burning dragonsblood incense, and playimg the whistle. To me it is a big stress reliever.
Hey we take care of our Dragons in Wales - that's cruel
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

(Name's Mark btw)
talimirr743

Post by talimirr743 »

perrins57 wrote:
talimirr743 wrote:I love burning dragonsblood incense, and playimg the whistle. To me it is a big stress reliever.
Hey we take care of our Dragons in Wales - that's cruel
:lol: ( :roll: )
Whistling Willie
Tell us something.: I love whistling and I have been a member of this forum for many years now.I have found it very informative and helpful over the years that I have been here.

Post by Whistling Willie »

I find it very relaxing to play,untill I am learning a new tune and cant get a certain part of it :devil:
"Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated"
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

It is especially stress relieving when I make music with my wife. :D
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
dapple

Post by dapple »

I find playing the whistle to be stress relieving; I concentrate on playing a tune and am able to forget about the more stressful parts of my life. Currently I'm learning The Rights of Man and incorporating some variations I read about on another site. That tune rolls very nicely, and my thoughts follow.
~ David
thirdfipple

stress relief?

Post by thirdfipple »

"I love burning dragonsblood incense, and playing the whistle. To me it is a big stress reliever."

Hmm, I guess you would need some stress relief after collecting the dragonsblood in the first place? Just askin' 8-)

Practicing, for me, is stress relief, playing for my teacher is fraught with stress!! Not because of anything he does....just my desire to be instantly good.
Key_of_D

hmmm..

Post by Key_of_D »

The only time I find the whistle stressful is when I'm tyring to figure out a new tune, and can't. Or it takes me a while... But when I do, or if I do, it's beautiful. There's part of a tune from a band called Blackwood, (a local Irish group out here in Phoenix) that's called Fig For A Kiss.. The part that immediatly follows the beginning, I learned to play in about 10 minutes. The thing is, my cousin learned it, and I figure I wouldn't be able to learn it at all. I thought it wa impossible for Me to learn it. He played it for me in our little "sessions" and I was awe-inspired, and I wasn't going to try to figure it out in front of him and look like an a&*. But, the next day, I sat down and listened carefully, and sure enough, with a little messing around trying to figure it out notes, I was off and playing it. I soon found that it was rather easy to play after practicing it a couple times. It sounds sweet on a Clarke Original C whistle (if you got the lungs for it...), and Generation Bb.. Even if it was recorded in D, I still like to experiment with my other keys...

Anyways, I find the whistle simple, enjoyable, and amazing. Although yes, difficult to master. And I'm far from it. But I'm getting there :wink:
Even if I play just one song I've been itching to play right before I goto work, it makes my day. :)