Expert opinion on a D please

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Adrian
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Expert opinion on a D please

Post by Adrian »

I need expert opinions regarding a D. My favorite whistles at present are the Susato C, B, Bb and even the Eb. I like most the overtones that give the richer sound than the pure round sound of my Burke C. I like the amount of back presure in the Susatos I mentioned and also the volume. Saddly neither of the Susato Ds do it for me. The narrow bore one has a sound that is too thin for me while the wider bore one screeches above the second A and lacks the richness of the C, B etc.

Cost - not above $200 preferbly

I live in Greece which doesn't make it easy to get around and try whistles out so I thank you in advance for your help.
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

You might like a Silkstone. They have a big, round sound with a little more complexity than Susatos, but not the screechy upper octave of the medium-bore Susato D. Unlike the Susato, I like the Silkstone in D more than the C. I think there are plenty of clips on TinwhistleTunes. (If Water Weasels were still readily available, I'd pooint you that way.) Last I knew, the PVC Silkstone was about $85, and the alloy, $130, so they're within your budget.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
colomon
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

Might be worth checking on the Water Weasels -- they can't be that rare yet, and they would seem to fit the bill quite nicely.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
ConnieS

Post by ConnieS »

I'd vote for the Silkstone Alloy D. Nice, rich sound. If you're looking for a less round sound, though, but still rich, try the Freeman-tweaked Mellow Dog. The richness plus some interesting overtones.
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Bleazey.
~JessieD
jonharl

Post by jonharl »

Jessie's always spot on. There's another thread "Maybe the best High D" right now that talks about the Bleazey.
Good Luck
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

This is most helpful. Thank you very much indeed.

Other voices of experience would be most welcome.

Jessie

What is the difference in tone and playability between the Silkstone and the Bleazey please.
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

The Silkstone is loud and full, with more personality than a Burke or Susato, but it's still rather industrial-looking. If you are going to have one d whistle and you want it to be loud and full and interesting in tone, it is my belief that it should feel special, too. A Bleazey is wood and it looks and feels handmade. The tone is substantial and full, and warmer than a Silkstone.

My goodness, I am agreeing with Phil Hardy about something.

If you are concerned about caring for a wooden instrument and you still want something with those qualities, I highly recommend the Sweet laminate pro d.
~JessieD
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Jessie

I'll get a Bleazey based on your advice. The description fits just what I'm looking for. I'm used to caring for quality wooden rec***ers. As the Bleazey is under budget i'll get the Silkstone later as well. (Hope my wife doesn't read this).

Many thanks
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I'm definitely with Jessie on this. I'd recommend boxwood or mopane over the blackwood. I have no experience with the yew, which IIRC is what Jessie has.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

I wanted boxwood, but he was out of it.
~JessieD
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

What are the tonal qualities of yew in whistles. I grew up in a forest in the UK and love the yew tree, most famous for English longbows. The seeds are DEADLY although you can eat the sweet red part and i do. SO the wood is not poisonous if Jessie is still with us!

Love to hear about how it compares to boxwood.

Thank you very much
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Hmm...Yew is supposed to be a magical wood, but it sure doesn't smell like boxwood. I love boxwood above all others. I think Yew behaves kind of like maple.
~JessieD
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Thanks. I'll wait for the boxwood then.

The yew tree and holly tree both being evergreen in the drab, dull British winter were regarded as magical. As only a few berries are needed to kill an animal they are ususally found in enclosed churchyards etc where anmimals cannot roam. But because these trees are often far older than the churches it is thought that the churches were often built on an enclosed site already that was already regarded as holy to pagans. There are many examples of that in my Celtic homeland of Cornwall.

Yet again, thank you very much for your advice. I'll let you know what i think when it arrives.