I've fallen in love...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Azalin
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

I've fallen in love...

Post by Azalin »

... with this jig...

http://www.metayer.info/mp3/jig.mp3

Any idea what is the title and story of that jig? Those June McCormak (scuse the spelling) and Michael Roony sessions is the best music ITM can give, when it comes to my own taste in irish music. I could listen to those folks forever, and the way and style/speed they play those lovely jigs gives me shivers. That's how jigs should be played, and screw those maniacs at sessions who are playing jigs at zillions bps :wink:

I'm also crazy about those jigs with CNat and C#. Is that tune in DMix?
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

Isn't that the Kilfenora Jig?

Editted to answer my own question, after checking out the Fiddler's Companion -- yes, it is.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

Wow, thanks.
StevieJ
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

I'm disappointed. From the title of the thread I thought this was going to be about Edel Fox, or one of the 12 nymphets at Café L'Utopique you were swooning into your concertina over the other night...
OnTheMoor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by OnTheMoor »

StevieJ wrote:I'm disappointed. From the title of the thread I thought this was going to be about Edel Fox, or one of the 12 nymphets at Café L'Utopique you were swooning into your concertina over the other night...
Nymphets!? Now I'm disappointed too!

Lovely clip Azalin.
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

You're not as disappointed as Amar's gonna be when he opens this thread and realises it's not about him. :D
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

I learned this jig from Eddie Burke. . .along with another Kilfenora. He would just make a 'one' sign, then 'two' and we we go off into them. . .pleasant memories.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Wonderful clip.

I last played that tune about twenty five years ago with some friends who would meet up once a week for a house session. When that little session came to an end after people moved on or emigrated I "forgot" about the tune and never came across it again till I heard this clip.

Like yer man Proust and his biscuit, It brought back a flood of happy memories and I have been playing it all week.

Fair play to ye Az :wink:

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Is there a place where I can download it to my computer? Maybe I'll just get over my fear of jigs with this one :P It is a beautiful clip, Az :)
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

izzarina wrote:Is there a place where I can download it to my computer? Maybe I'll just get over my fear of jigs with this one :P It is a beautiful clip, Az :)
right click on the link and choose "save target as..."
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

colomon wrote:Isn't that the Kilfenora Jig?

Editted to answer my own question, after checking out the Fiddler's Companion -- yes, it is.
Can you tell me which Kilfenora jig it is on the Fiddler's Companion website? There's a list of them . . .

I apologize for asking such an obvious question, but I wasn't able to get the letters to sound quite right . . .
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

It's the five part one that starts A2D FED|A2D FED|A2D FED....
colomon

Post by colomon »

Fiddler's Companion wrote:KILFENORA JIG [1]. Irish, Double Jig. D Major. Standard. AABB'CCDDEE'FF'GG' (Mallinson). The tune is a variant of "The Chorus Jig" and was recorded by the Kilfenora Ceili Band. Mallinson (Enduring), 1995; No. 33, pg. 14.
T:Kilfenora Jig [1]
M:6/8
L:1/8
K:D Major
B|:A2 D FED|A2 D FED|A2 D FED|dce dcB|A2 D FED|A2 D FED|~E3 =cAF|~G3 GFG:|:
FAd dAF|~A3 BAG|FAd dAF|~A3 A2 G|FAd dAF|~A3 AFD|~E3 =cAF|1~G3 GFG:|2~G3 G zg:|:
f2 d dcd|f2 d dcd|f2 d dcd|~a3 bag|f2 d dcd|f2 d def|ged cde|g3 a2 g:|:
fed faf|gbg faf|fed faf|~a3 bag|fed faf|gbg faf|fed cde|g3 a2 g:|
fed edc|dcd AFA|DFA dAF|~A3 AB=c|~B3 =cB=c|~B3 AFD|~E3 =cAF|1~G3 G z g:|2~G3 G2
Not sure why their summary of the parts seems to think it's a 7 part tune, when their ABC and every version I've ever heard have it as 5...