Spillane Whistle Discussion #2

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
khl
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Longtime member of Chiff and Fipple. I own/have owned more whistles than a person should, I think. But I’m not complaining.

Post by khl »

I'm saying this with a great deal of trepidation, but could we please cool it with Talbert? Perhaps his comments were rash and he perceived a personal offense where others might not have. Given that, however, I'm not sure anything good has been accomplished by the personal attacks returned to him.

To be honest, I've been saddened and surprized at what's happened--particularly coming from various persons whose comments on Chiff and Fipple I enjoy, who have helpful and interesting things to say about whistles and whistling in general, or who have keenly (and generally good-natured) humorous comments. All of this has left me with a bad taste in my mouth, and I don't imagine I'm the only one. I've even wondered whether the good that comes from this forum is worth having to wade through this sort of stuff.

I'm not a drinking man--teetotaller to the bone--but if I were, and if the various folks involved here lived near, I'd invite all to the local pub with first rounds on me. (Okay there's no pub in my neigborhood, but you get the point.) Anything just to let this go.
Keith
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Meanwhile this thread is branching out elsewhere:

I have something to add here whether some of you like it or not you will here it. No response is needed. I am posting this here because going on chiff is a total waste of time for me. Perhaps some will understand on this forum? However, I must say before I go that Michael has by far the best forum out there & the friendliest. I thank you for allowing me to sell some great whistles on your board. I only have the very best to sell!

I am sick & tired of some of you allowing others to dictate your decisions in life. This is why I avoid posting normally because many never understand what others are saying but would rather harshly criticize instead. I truly can understand why others avoid forums. My sentiments exactly. These are my own thought & like many of us I am entitled to them.

If I am selling a whistle & someone has the nerve to stop my sell of an item by posting messages to that effect on another board, this is very wrong! I do believe that most of you whistle players let others decide your fate as a whistler! Whether it is through a sale or otherwise. Stop doing that!! Do you understand what I am saying here? If you allow others to dictate what will make you sucessful or happy then this can have a direct bearing on your happiness, musically! There are so many that need to learn this. They still do not get it! The reason why I am not liked on these boards is because I have decided where my happiness lies musically & have expressed that through my music. While many others allow others to make decisions for them. For example: I have had many e-mails stating that my music is very different but the person also said that they enjoy other music but are afraid that others will reject them because of that. So, they stick to traditional regardless of there happiness.

I play new age music & I could care less about what any of you think about my style of playing. I have confidence in myself. I am not a perfect player but I have been playing for yrs & I refuse to let anyone else dictate where my good judgements will be. The first thing that you should learn as a musician if you have not already is to be happy with your own decisions. But most are not! Why? Because others are allowed to decide for them. How sad!

Besides, whenever I decided to post a message most of you avoided me anyway! Why? Again, because you are afraid of what others might think!! And you know it. You need confidense in yourself. Not perfection just plain old confidence. Understood? Its funny how so many will ostrasize someone because of others stupidity!

Im otta here!
Become like the "PALM TREE", adaptable and flexible; it never misdirects its own ability to withstand the pressure! It adapts to all types of weather.Your whistling should be the same.Explore your own potential! Never underestimate you own abilities!!!

http://www.gaeliccrossings.com/forums/v ... php?t=1590

http://www.gaeliccrossings.com/forums/v ... php?t=1589

I could care less about what any of you think about my style of playing
How freudian was that?

Much could be said about this all. But for now just this will suffice:
as so often before Talbert shows his real face in PM. That informs opinions. Not his music.

Last edited by Cayden on Sat Jul 23, 2005 5:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
perrins57
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by perrins57 »

Sorry to anybody if my use of Talberts words earlier, were an example of that which left a bad taste in anybodies mouth. It’s just the pompous, self-righteous hypocrisy of Talberts major over reaction really got to me. Admittedley you cant get an accurate picture of a persons personality from a posting, but the impression Talberts attack on KD (whilst obviously failing to realise that is what he was doing) gives me is that he’s very sanctimonious. If his insecurities are such that the mention of his name, or as in this case the perceived mention of his name, draws such as strong reaction I suggest he’s not cut out for forum posting and should avoid it altogether.
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

(Name's Mark btw)
StewySmoot

Post by StewySmoot »

Last edited by StewySmoot on Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
<a href="http://www.whistletotheworld.com/" target="_blank"> Whistle to the World</a>
Helping underprivileged kids learn music via the Irish Whistle.
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

In re: O'Riordan's plastic mouthpiece vs. a Kerry/Spillane/Whatever...

Is the O'Riordan molded or. . .I don't know what to call it. . .milled? I would say that the generic plastic mouthpieces that we're talking about are molded plastic, and the O'Riordan and Dixon type are milled. Please, please. . .someone hijack this thread onto something really juicy like heavy machinery!

Oh! oh! I get to go to the Sweets today and see all THEIR routers and borers and drillpresses! I'm outta here folks!
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

Tyghress wrote:Is the O'Riordan molded or. . .I don't know what to call it. . .milled? I would say that the generic plastic mouthpieces that we're talking about are molded plastic, and the O'Riordan and Dixon type are milled. Please, please. . .someone hijack this thread onto something really juicy like heavy machinery!
I would guess molded. Actually, looking at my latest high O'Riordan (made in 2002), it looks like there are two pieces of plastic(?) pinned together with a brass(?) pin, then the windway/blade is carved by hand.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

Looking at it a bit more --- maybe plastic isn't the right word at all, it's certainly nicer than the Sweettone mouthpieces I've got here. Maybe it's delrin?
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Delrin is a specific form of plastic, yes? but I understand that when we say 'plastic' we mean injection molded, where a liquid is forced into a mold and cooled then assembled.

When I think of how Delrin may be worked, I think of someone clamping a solid or maybe tubular piece of hard plastic into a machine and letting blades and burrs and such drill away what you don't want.

Can anyone here tell that I don't know what I'm talking about when it comes to machining an instrument? I come from an age when young girls took home ec and young boys took shop, and NEVER did you cross into the other gender's territory.

And I don't think $400 is too much to spend for a quality instrument, no matter how it is made. But I do consider $200....or $100....or $50 to be too much for a so-so instrument even if a 'name' is associated with it.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

(Rubbing eyes and yawning)

Hey guys! What did I miss?
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

DaleWisely wrote:(Rubbing eyes and yawning)

Hey guys! What did I miss?
In a nutshell, KD posted about some anonymous person selling some whistle somewhere else, then Talbert began jumping up and down yelling "IT'S ME, IT'S ME, IT'S ME! NOW LEAVE ME ALONE!"
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
ShadowBG625
Tell us something.: I've been a member of the forum for several years. Just poking my head to catch up on all the latest happenings, as well as checking out the FS/WTB page.

Post by ShadowBG625 »

Blackhawk, if I ever need anything summarized...I'm coming to you! LOL!

:thumbsup:
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

ShadowBG625 wrote:Blackhawk, if I ever need anything summarized...I'm coming to you! LOL!

:thumbsup:
:lol: :lol:

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Pat O'Riordan's headpieces, as well as Hoovers and many other whistles, are made from machining various dense plastics like delrin and pvc.

A lot of cheapie, some midrange and apparently ONE expensive whistle are injection molded.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
perrins57

Post by perrins57 »

Blackhawk please would you do a similar summary of the Political sometimes religious thread so I dont have to read them all to catch up?
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

(Name's Mark btw)
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

perrins57 wrote:Blackhawk please would you do a similar summary of the Political sometimes religious thread so I dont have to read them all to catch up?
I'd be honored. :)

No one likes anyone else, although they all pretend they do. Everyone is wrong except for the one writing any particular post, and he or she is the only one who truly understands reality.

Now...you never have to read another political or religious post. :D

--Plato