They finally came!!!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
TheKingPrawn
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

They finally came!!!

Post by TheKingPrawn »

I got my new susato hi d and low d today! I think my whistling is improving already on the high d. It is so much easier to play than my feadog. I now understand the concept of finger stretch with the low whistle. It sounds beautiful, though, so I'm going to keep trying until either I can play it well or my thumbs fall off. Any suggestions on holding it so my thumbs stop cramping?

Let the collecting begin!
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.
DCrom
antispam: No

Re: They finally came!!!

Post by DCrom »

TheKingPrawn wrote:I got my new susato hi d and low d today! I think my whistling is improving already on the high d. It is so much easier to play than my feadog. I now understand the concept of finger stretch with the low whistle. It sounds beautiful, though, so I'm going to keep trying until either I can play it well or my thumbs fall off. Any suggestions on holding it so my thumbs stop cramping?

Let the collecting begin!
Low whistle - especially ones like the Susato, which has a pretty good stretch and largish finger holes - are generally played using piper's grip.

Yes, it takes a little getting used to, but once you've adjusted it really is a lot easier on the hands (and allows faster play).

My Howard Low D was nearly unplayable until I forced myself to make the switch - now, I can play it for hours without handstrain. Try it, and be willing to feel awkward for a few days while adjusting - your hands will thank you.

Hint: fingerholes seal better with light to moderate pressure - pressing HARD not only causes pain, but generally makes things worse. Learning this was the biggest single barrier I had to overcome - I wanted to seal those holes TIGHTLY, darn it!
ShadowBG625
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been a member of the forum for several years. Just poking my head to catch up on all the latest happenings, as well as checking out the FS/WTB page.

Post by ShadowBG625 »

If I'm not mistaken, Susato now offers "keys" for low whistles. They are supposed to ease playing (From the website)..."Susato Key Components These keys, when assembled, can be mounted to our pentatonic recorders, wide-bore recorders, or pennywhistles to alleviate problems with reaching toneholes. Larger whistle sizes are now accessible to many players who previously could not reach the lower toneholes; or only with great difficulty. The difference is enormous."

...http://www.susato.com

P.S. You can also try the Piper's grip...that has helped me greatly!...http://www.thewhistleshop.com/beginners/lowd/lowd.htm
seisflutes

Post by seisflutes »

If you haven't already, look at this for more on using piper's grip on the low whistle: http://www.chiffandfipple.com/pipers.html
And very important, relax those hands! When I first started playing a low whistle I thought I had the grip right and all, but I didn't really. My hands were too tense, I was trying too hard, and my thumbs hurt a lot until I figured it out.
TheKingPrawn

Post by TheKingPrawn »

Thanks for all the quick replies and tips. I'm trying the piper's grip, and it's helping. I need more fat on the middle finger of my right hand and I'll be perfect.
Jessica Ventura

Post by Jessica Ventura »

Is there some sort of exercise for the middle finger that can bulk it up?
Random notes

Post by Random notes »

Jessica Ventura wrote:Is there some sort of exercise for the middle finger that can bulk it up?
Nope, not gonna touch that, gonna leave it alone, nope, nope, no way, unh-unh...

Roger
Non omnes qui habemt citharam sunt citharoedi
michael_coleman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play the first flute Jon Cochran ever made but haven't been very active on the board the last 9-10 years. Life happens I guess...I owned a keyed M&E flute for a while and I kind of miss it.

Post by michael_coleman »

DCrom wrote: Hint: fingerholes seal better with light to moderate pressure - pressing HARD not only causes pain, but generally makes things worse. Learning this was the biggest single barrier I had to overcome - I wanted to seal those holes TIGHTLY, darn it!
I've found a little lotion goes a long way for sealing the big holes (like on a Kerry Low D), just be sure it does't slip out of your hands.
StewySmoot

Post by StewySmoot »

I will quibble the light/moderate pressure. I found it caused squeaking. I slap notes hard with my fat fingers on my piper gripping Kerry Whistles. I dont know if it works the same with other brands.
Last edited by StewySmoot on Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<a href="http://www.whistletotheworld.com/" target="_blank"> Whistle to the World</a>
Helping underprivileged kids learn music via the Irish Whistle.
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

I've got skinny fingers, and light-to-moderate works best for me on my Howard. I agree that a bit of hand lotion (or a hot day) helps - I have to be more careful about finger position when it's cold and dry.

I suspect that if I had fatter fingers, more pressure would work better, but for me a really heavy grip seems to produce leaks, not stop them. And a lighter grip usually helps speed, also.

Try to experiment, though - what works bets for you may not be what works best for me.

<Off-Topic>

Gang, let's leave the political jibes for the pub, please. They're one of the main reasons I choose to spend most of my C & F time over here rather than over there.

I'm not certain that all the political advocacy accomplishes anything, either - past a certain point, it starts to sound like "Is so!" "Is NOT" ad infinitum. And those are the *good*, *civil* threads. :moreevil:
Last edited by DCrom on Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StewySmoot

Post by StewySmoot »

Point taken. 100% agreement on here v there. Thanks
<a href="http://www.whistletotheworld.com/" target="_blank"> Whistle to the World</a>
Helping underprivileged kids learn music via the Irish Whistle.
perrins57

Post by perrins57 »

Jessica Ventura wrote:
Is there some sort of exercise for the middle finger that can bulk it up?

Nope, not gonna touch that, gonna leave it alone, nope, nope, no way, unh-unh...

Roger
michael_coleman wrote:
DCrom wrote:
I've found a little lotion goes a long way for sealing the big holes, just be sure it does't slip out of your hands.
What's this, national innuendo day?
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

(Name's Mark btw)
Random notes

Post by Random notes »

perrins57 wrote:What's this, national innuendo day?
Well, given the title of this thread...

Roger
Non omnes qui habemt citharam sunt citharoedi
TheKingPrawn

Post by TheKingPrawn »

I sure wasn't thinking when I titled this topic.

After a day of camping and a bit of playing the new low d, I'm making progress. I have pretty small hands, so I'm having to experiment with how far to turn my hands up to get a good seal on all holes. It seems that my left index finger and right middle finger are the squeaking culprits, but that should work out with time and practice. Overall I'm very happy to have a low whistle.
perrins57

Post by perrins57 »

TheKingPrawn wrote:I sure wasn't thinking when I titled this topic.

After a day of camping .
More innuendo - Stop it!
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

(Name's Mark btw)