Cracked Feadog heads

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Wanderer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Cracked Feadog heads

Post by Wanderer »

Recently, I reviewed a Feadog & Feadog Pro. Since then, a few people have posted that their heads have cracked for various reasons. My own heads have cracked as well. I posted some pictures in another thread but wanted to give this topic it's own thread to hopefully catch as wide an audience as possible.

here's some selected posts from the other thread:
Feadin wrote:It's difficult to see it in the picture, but here's the crack.... or at least I believe it's a crack, it could be a very deep scratch too...
Wanderer wrote:
Wanderer wrote: I'll post pictures of my crack when I get home,
But FIRST, I'm going to wash my mouth out with soap. ;)
Feadin wrote:It's difficult to see it in the picture, but here's the crack.... or at least I believe it's a crack, it could be a very deep scratch too...
That looks like the same kind of defect mine originally had.

Eventually, they became:

KDMARTINKY wrote:Yep, mine is in the same place Greg. Looks exactly like your "Green Top". But like I said mine was i believe self-inflicted due to the experiment with plastic heads and dishwashers.... :)

Lesson learned: Extreme heat and plastic don't mix, but the good news from my experience is the Chieftains are clean and sterilized.... :lol:
Has anyone else experienced a cracked Feadog head like this? I'm beginning to suspect that there may be a weakness in the whistle head and would like to let the guys over at the Feadog company know about it if that's the case. I'd also feel bad if folks bought Feadogs based upon my review if they were going to crack shortly after purchase.

If you've got a new Feadog, please share your experiences!
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack »

My Feadógs have done that as well. They're obviously made with a different kind of plastic compared to Generations or Waltons.
barstool

Post by barstool »

Actually this kind of defect is common to molded plastic parts. The weakness is formed when the plastic meets itself at the farthest place from the gate, or entrance of plastic into the mold. This type of defect has a specific name, although it eludes me now. It is caused by the plastic not joining itself properly. This is usually caused by a fault with temperature, or injection speed, or both.

~B

(edit) It is called a weld line.
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

I had this happen with an Oak once. No sign of anything wrong...I was just playing it and suddenly the head cracked fell into two parts.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Jack

Post by Jack »

Redwolf wrote:I had this happen with an Oak once. No sign of anything wrong...I was just playing it and suddenly the head cracked fell into two parts.

Redwolf
I actually remember the pictures of that! :)
Feadin

Post by Feadin »

I have sent a mail to Paul McCarron from Feadog asking if he has any reports about this. Will let you know his response.
Cristian Feldman
khl
Tell us something.: Longtime member of Chiff and Fipple. I own/have owned more whistles than a person should, I think. But I’m not complaining.

Post by khl »

Just checked my Feadog (bought it in early May). Sure enough, it has a slight crack. I probably wouldn't have noticed it yet, but it's there--about like the picture of the black Feadog head (where it almost looks like a scratch), but running the same length as the picture of the green one and in the same area.
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

A large number whistleheads of various brands I've inspected have a line that looks like a crack where the molten resin meets at the top of the mold. In most cases, even though it looks like a crack, it isn't a crack and never develops into a crack. However, as you can see from the photos, sometimes the whistlehead does fail along that line. I can't tell from the top photo if there's an open crack there or just the line that looks like a crack.

Best wishes,
Jerry
JohnPalmer

Post by JohnPalmer »

My very first whistle was a Feadog my Dad brought back from Ireland over 20 years ago, and it developed a slight crack on its backside. I repaired it with JB Weld, and it works fine.

JP
regor

Post by regor »

Yep... say no more, the picture tells it all, there's a definite pattern:

Roger
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Yup.

That line is normal, but it shouldn't crack.

Best wishes,
Jerry
barstool

Post by barstool »

The weak lines are usually white-ish.

(I have some molding exp. having run the molding department where I work for 2 years. I am no technical expert on molding though :) I was the production supervisor)

~B
Whitmores75087

Post by Whitmores75087 »

Mine is cracked, just like the picture above. I fixed it with crazy glue (super glue).
billw

Feadog Fixin'

Post by billw »

Paul Busman put me onto a really thin superglue that will do the capillary-action thing well - I ran out and tossed the bottle, but hey, Paul, what was the name of that? Since then, I just warm the area of the crack or other void, and put a drop of just about any of the truly liquid cyanoacrylate (Super Glue) adhesives on it, and they tend to heal.

In the case of the Feadog head (mine hasn't cracked after around 6 years), I'd suggest VERY carefully removing from the body, gluing the crack and rubber-banding it shut, then later gently fitting it back on the whistle with more glue. If it's real tight, then put some 320 grit sandpaper on a dowel rod and use that to gently ream out the end where the whistle seats, until it is merely snug, not real tight.

Kind of a lot to go through for an inexpensive whistle? Well, hey, people who like 'em like 'em, and for you, they're worth the trouble! That's how I'd fix mine if it cracked! :D
Cheers,
Bill Whedon
Ye Olde Whistlesmith Saying:
A whistle without a fipple, is just a piece of leaky pipe!

Click the WWW and come have some fun with poems and music and now BOOKS! and check out the preeeety whistles and the T-shirts with attitude! :D
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

It's likely that the brass is fitting tight enough to cause the weak part of the mold to crack. A way to fix this is to take the head off, removed some of the material with an Exactol knife and reattach the head with a soft glue or teflon tape. This will relieve the pressure and prevent the cracks from getting larger.

The brass can expand slightly due to heat. In fact, the method of removing heads by steam and hot water could crack a weak Feadog head.

A similar thing happens on flute headjoints. Many good wood flute makers will actually turn down some of the brass/nickel-silver material in the tuning joint so that the wood can expand and shrink.

John, on that JB Weld, that's strong stuff. Good idea.
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D