Anyone sick of ITM on the whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
StewySmoot
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Anyone sick of ITM on the whistle?

Post by StewySmoot »

Do you need a break from crans, rolls, slip-jigs, hornpipes and those bothersome strathspeys?

Do you feel you are getting stale from trying to learn all the versions of that tune called "Gan Ainm"?

Are you so tired of "the ass in the graveyard" that you are starting to feel like one?

I know I am!

This thread is for non-ITM music that is EZ to pick up on the whistle, either simple, pleasant sounding tunes, tunes that are EZ to pick up on the whistle, or tunes that are EZ to play along with BREAKING you from the sheet-music habit.

Act now!

My 2 cents are:

Moondance by Van Morrison. Playable on a D whistle along with the recording. Hell, most of his tunes on the Moondance CD are easy to play along with.

Old Friends/Bookends by Simon and Garfunkel. low whistle in G.

She's leaving home. Beatles, Low Whistle

Sad Lisa. Cat Stevens. Low Whistle

Who will buy? from the Broadway play/Movie "Oliver!". The original broadway cast album works on an A whistle. I play the thing on a low D.

Vincent (Starry, starry night) by Don something.

San Antonio Rose by Patsy Cline et al. Play along with her on an E. Thanks Cynth for that 2 step!

Old Man River on a low D.

Junk by McCartney. I forget which key.

Stay (just a little bit longer) by Jackson Browne. The long version plays in D and works for learning to improvise.

Hoedown by Copeland. Most recordings are in G for the D whistle. Make reels seem like laments.
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

Smoot? Do you like setting yourself up to be slammed by the ITM diehards around these parts?
(I, btw, am with you on this one.)
Among the things I'm likely to be playing lately is Into the West from LOTR.
(I know...trite, trite, oh so trite.)
StewySmoot

Post by StewySmoot »

emmline wrote:Smoot? Do you like setting yourself up....

Yes. I used to wrestle professionally.
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

Some Jethro Tull. I had a friend in college who did accoustic guitar coffeehouse gigs. I'd play the melody to one of the "Thick as a Brick" excerpts. It was fun.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
IDAwHOa
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

I like just popping around on the whistle, playing any nonsensical thing. Every once in a while I will stumble on a short riff that turns into a song I sort of know. Sometimes it is a church song, others Christmas or American folk or nursery songs. You get the drift.

Probably the oddest one I stumbled on to was part of the theme from The Three Stooges!!!!! :lol:
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

I'm not really tired of ITM..

But I will admit to picking out the Hawaii Five-O theme song today ;)
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I often play the opening to Live and Let Die

Also I play Fantine's song at the end of Les Mis, "Come with me, where chains can never bind you..." I always cry at that part.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

Stairway to Heaven by Led Zeppelin
Nights in White Satin by The Moody Blues
Bouree by Jethro Tull (I think Mozart did it first)
(Don McLean, by the way, sang Vincent as well as Bye, Bye, Miss American Pie or whatever it's called.)

Either way, I'll never get tired of ITM. :P Matter of fact, I'm going to log off right now and get some practice in. Sweeny's Buttermilk and Dipping the Sheep (reels) need a lot of work.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
jking

Post by jking »

at one of the local sessions here a few weeks ago we finished of by playing "imagine" by john lennon. Used the low d.
"honestly dear, one more tune and i'll come to bed"
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

I think it's fun as well to try to identify non-ITM tunes that might possibly contain whistles and simple-system flutes (as opposed to concert flutes).

Here are some possibilities:

Along Comes Mary (the Association) - unless that's a flautist who knows how to play cuts, I'd wager on a Clarke C.

Georgie Girl (the Seekers) - could be a high-G Generation.

The Crowd (Fairport Convention) - most definitely a whistle. Burke? O'Riordan?

El Condor Pasa (Simon & Garfunkel) - this one is fairly loaded with small woodwinds. Did they make Sweethearts or Water Weasels then?

Fernando (ABBA) - Shaw E, perhaps?

All That She Wants (Ace of Base) - I've seen the video, and it looks like they may be playing the ridiculously easy low-whistle riff on a Chieftain (Phil can probably set me straight on this).

And, of course, we all know about Andrea Corr! :D

Any other contenders?
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Great list of tunes! I'm not exactly tired of trad, but I'm *not* exactly married to it either. :)

edited for... well... the usual... (sigh)
Last edited by anniemcu on Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
WhistlinBob

ITM

Post by WhistlinBob »

The first year I owned a Whistle I played mostly beatles
and other modern music once you pick through the notes its a breeze don't get me wrong ITRAD is awesome sometimes but a bore to learn I mix in some modern some american trad country scottish trad classical I will never be tired of my whistle music in all forms!! :) :D :)

PS the wife and kids appreciate the other tunes more :D
a one anda two anda three. I would like you to meet my whistle instructer Charles.

[A bad day of Whistlin is better than
any day at work!!!]
ChristianRo

Post by ChristianRo »

TonyHiggins wrote: Bouree by Jethro Tull (I think Mozart did it first)
Tony
(smartass on) It was Bach. (don't know from who he himself stole the tune, though). (/smartass off)
Christian
sheryl_coleman

Post by sheryl_coleman »

Great thread! I´ve needed some ideas on some new tunes to try.

Since I´m putting together a book for a different instrument, I´ve been trying out some clasical themes lately on whistle... which I think will also become a little book in the very near future. Here´s a few:

They´re all pretty easy....
The Wedding March (Wagner)
Mozart´s Sonata in A
Brahm´s Lullaby
Dvorak´s Largo from New World Symphony: http://www.geocities.com/sheryl_coleman ... _largo.pdf (if you want a look)

Sheryl
talasiga

Perk up

Post by talasiga »

StewySmoot wrote:Do you need a break from crans, rolls, slip-jigs, hornpipes and those bothersome strathspeys? .....
No Sweetheart, after more than 30 years of whistling and fluting I am only just now trying at the ITM - a music that has always touched me deeply even though my aesthetic sensibilities are bedded in another culture.

You see, my dear child, the world of simple system piping, is not at all dominated by ITM. Most whistlers around the globe know little of ITM. Some of them may astound you.

If you were to broaden your horizons you may find that you will never tire of ITM. Little absences can make the heart grow fonder .....

:P
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit