Play dulcimer?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

Dost thou play dulcimer?

Yes, mountain/lap dulcimer.
40%
Yes, hammered dulcimer.
17%
Yes, both hammered and mountain dulcimers.
9%
No, I don't play any kind of dulcimer.
31%
Other answer.
3%

Total votes: 35

Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Play dulcimer?

Post by Jack »

I noticed in the "other instruments" thread that a few of us confessed to playing some type of dulcimer as well as whistle.

It seems that a lot of posters here play dulcimer of one kind or another.

I can play mountain dulcimer, but I don't have one anymore, I voted "Other answer."

So vote, please and thank you.
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I think that mountain dulcimer and tinwhistle/keyless flute are a natural combination. The MD is a diatonic instrument that can often (with the 6-1/2 fret) play in a second key. They are also generally in D/G.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
BrassBlower
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by BrassBlower »

chas wrote:I think that mountain dulcimer and tinwhistle/keyless flute are a natural combination. The MD is a diatonic instrument that can often (with the 6-1/2 fret) play in a second key. They are also generally in D/G.
Come to think of it, that means I play diatonic (MD, whistle), semi-chromatic (guitar, fretted bass), and fully-chromatic (fiddle) instruments.

They all have their advantages and disadvantages. The main advantage to fully-chromatic instruments is that if you mishandle a fingering, you're off by less than a half-step and can correct yourself quickly.

Maybe that's why we're constantly rehearsing our fingerings on the whistle. Of course, we have a word for mishandling a fingering and making a quick correction: Ornamentation. :lol:
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

I think Hammered Dulcimer is the next instrument I will have to learn.
I've heard people say that it was the easiest inst. they ever learned...
that remains to be seen.

I also considered building a Lap Dulcimer out of a kit. Cable TV's DIY network
showed an episode of Handmade Music that showed the step-by-step
creation of a Mountain Dulcimer, and it looked relatively painless (at least,
compared to guitar-making which took up 3 episodes).
IrishLass

Post by IrishLass »

Thank you for posting this poll Cranberry! After reading the "other instruments" thread, I was wondering myself how many people played dulcimer, and what kind. I don't play anthing but whistle at this point :( but I have looked at dulcimers on E-bay and wondered about them. I just really don't know anything about them, so I wouldn't have any idea which kind to buy to start out on. Any suggestions anyone?

Thanks!

Carolyn
"Sing to the Lord a new song" Psalm 149:1
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

fearfaoin wrote:I think Hammered Dulcimer is the next instrument I will have to learn.
I've heard people say that it was the easiest inst. they ever learned...
that remains to be seen.

I also considered building a Lap Dulcimer out of a kit. Cable TV's DIY network
showed an episode of Handmade Music that showed the step-by-step
They're both easy instruments on which to pick out a tune, difficult to make sound good.

I began on the lap dulcimer as a result of building a kit. I built a couple from Hughes Dulcimer company before developing my own design and building them from scratch. Hughes has inexpensive kits that are VERY easy to build, with plywood sides and back (definitely spring for the solid spruce soundboard). The all-solid-wood kit is a bit more advanced, but has the best sound of any dulcimer I've played short of my Blue Lion, which is not an inexpensive instrument.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Byll
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

I am a 'classically-trained' musician. That is how I make my living. Piano was always my main instrument. In 1989, my wife and I were at a craft show and I saw this guy from Michigan playing this thing with lots of bridges and strings. My wife says I kept gravitating back to that area of the craft show. There was simply something about the sound...and about the fact that this guy was HITTING the instrument and creating beauty...I was simply entranced...As John Denver said, I was 'coming home to a place I'd never been before.'

It is many years later. I play/teach/design/sell/live the hammer dulcimer. My life was definitely changed because of this instrument...

Hammer dulcimers are not difficult to get beautiful sounds out of, but if one wants to actually play the dulcimer, rather than play at it, one must put the same amount of time and effort into it that one puts into a more
'recognized' instrument. There is no magic, and there are no short-cuts.

Best to all.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
mgwhitehead

Don't be deceived

Post by mgwhitehead »

fearfaoin wrote:. . . an episode of Handmade Music that showed the step-by-step
I've been playing mountain dulcimer for 15 years and have built one myself (it didn't turn out that great). Building a quality mountain dulcimer is not much different than building a quality guitar. It involves most of the same parts, steps and skills. Yes, many dulcimers, handmade by amateurs, have graced the eyes and ears with their beauty. And the first dulcimers were, of course, all made by hand. But everything that goes into building a guitar also goes into building a dulcimer. Their construction is not dissimilar. The fellow who built mine told me he spends an average of 70 hours per instrument. You can spend less time and use plywood and other inexpensive supplies, but the end product will be of comensurate quality.

Unlike quality whistles, some fine examples of which don't cost much, you pretty much get what you pay for when it comes to a wooden acoustic instrument. My advice to anyone looking to pick up the MD is to do some research and talk to experienced players and builders. And beware the brands out there that masquerade as "quality" instruments. If you build or buy an instrument that won't stay in tune, doesn't sound good and is difficult to play, you'll give up on it quickly.
Jennie

Post by Jennie »

Seems I picked up a bunch of instruments at different points in my life and some of them are languishing there. I'm not much more skilled on my mountain dulcimer than when I got it. But I did take out and retune my hammered dulcimer about four years ago. Now I play nearly every day. I invested in a bigger and better instrument. And I'm in agreement that although it's easy to play simple things that sound pretty, it's a lot of work to get good at this instrument.

I play more in summer, when it's humid enough in our wood-heated house to keep it set up and out of its case.

Jennie
DanD

Post by DanD »

IrishLass wrote:Thank you for posting this poll Cranberry! After reading the "other instruments" thread, I was wondering myself how many people played dulcimer, and what kind. I don't play anthing but whistle at this point :( but I have looked at dulcimers on E-bay and wondered about them. I just really don't know anything about them, so I wouldn't have any idea which kind to buy to start out on. Any suggestions anyone?

Thanks!

Carolyn
Check out http://everythingdulcimer.com The forum there is almost as nice as C&F.
DanD
Without music, life would be an error. - F. Neitzche
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

I'm primarily a hammered dulcimer player, but have had and played mountain too. My dulcimers have languished the last few years, but I tuned the smaller one about a month ago and now that I have a place to set it up and play it, I've been playing it again on a regular basis.

Its wonderful because some tunes that I find difficult on the whistle I can play easily and beautifully on the dulcimer with almost no effort (Gravel Walk for example).

I really should get back to the guitar too.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
HDSarah

Post by HDSarah »

I play hammered dulcimer.
I took up whistle because it's such a great complement to dulcimer: no strings to tune; can be tossed in the backpack (or just up my sleeve) and carried anywhere; inexpensive (at least before WHOA sets in, and even then, it's cheap compared to hammered dulcimers). If I was good enough, I'd add that whistle is accepted by Irish players while hammered dulcimer generally is not, but I can't play whistle at session speed yet. My whistle playing has progressed by leaps during periods of time when I can't play my dulcimer, and whistle has satisfied my need to make music. Lately I've hardly played whistle at all for months; my time for playing music has been limited and my dulcimer takes first priority. In the summer I should have more time and get the whistle out again.
ICE JAM: "dam" good music that won't leave you cold. Check out our CD at http://cdbaby.com/cd/icejam
chattiekathy
Tell us something.: Well dang, I just want to change my password. looking for that correct page! Thank you! Ohh good grief, I get it, you have to be careful who you let in because of spammers, but sigh.... I'm in a hurry, can we move this along please. :)

Post by chattiekathy »

I play both hammered dulcimer and mountain dulcimer. I started out with the hammered dulcimer, a Rick Thum 16/16 with Handcarved hummingbird sound holes and then added the mountain dulcimers. The whistles came in between the dulcimers. I mostly play my hammered dulcimer but I have been playing my mountain dulcimers alot more lately. I think I have caught "SAD" String Aquisition Disorder. For Chriistmas this year, I got a Bowed Psaltery and it is a really fun and easy thing to play. I use 2 bows when I play it.

I have 3 mountain dulcimers. I have them each tuned differently and they each have a different sound to them. One is an hourglass Sitka Spruce top with a black walnut back and sides and an inlayed hummingbird and vine sound holes on it made by my son-in-law from a Cripple Creek kit , another is an hourglass Western Red Cedar top with Pennsylvania Black Walnut back and sides with celtic cross and vine sound holes made by Dave Lynch ("harpmaker" on Everything Dulcimer), and the 3rd one is a teardrop student dulcimer made by David Lynch it is made from Birch plywood (I think). For $100.00 it has a great wonderful sound!

A big part of my love of dulcimers is the wood! They are very lovely to look at and alot of them have a story connected to them. Dulcimer means "Sweet Sound". And it is! The Dulcimer has opened up a whole new world for me.

If you are looking for a great dulcimer for not alot of money, check out Daves dulcimers at: www.strothers.com/sweet_woods.htm

He will make any vibrating string length you want. The 2 that I have from him are a shorter length (25 3/4" I think) , and it makes it easier for Chording. I think you lose some of the sustain with a short VSL but his dulcimers have a big sound.

Cheers,
Kathy :)
~*~Creativity is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift to God~*~
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

chattiekathy's signature wrote:~*~Creativity is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift to God~*~
Talasiga says,
As every new wave upon the ancient sea
So creativity upon eternity ......

8)

BTW, how do you think I voted?
I have mountain genes and my ex left her excess mountain dulcimer with me when she left the country.
:)
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
chattiekathy
Tell us something.: Well dang, I just want to change my password. looking for that correct page! Thank you! Ohh good grief, I get it, you have to be careful who you let in because of spammers, but sigh.... I'm in a hurry, can we move this along please. :)

Post by chattiekathy »

talasiga wrote:
chattiekathy's signature wrote:~*~Creativity is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift to God~*~
Talasiga says,
As every new wave upon the ancient sea
So creativity upon eternity ......

8)

BTW, how do you think I voted?
I have mountain genes and my ex left her excess mountain dulcimer with me when she left the country.
:)
Nice saying Talasiga. I am guessing that you said mountain dulcimer. :P

Cheers,
Kathy :)
~*~Creativity is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift to God~*~