quiet whistles?/teacher directory?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
muldoon
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

quiet whistles?/teacher directory?

Post by muldoon »

Hello all! Glad to find a forum such as this. The posts are informative and very helpful to newbies, which I happen to be. I have three questions I was hoping could be answered.

1. do you know of a website that lists tin whistle teachers? i live in milwaukee,wisconsin and i am looking for teachers in my area.

2. i am looking for the quietest whistle that i can find. i live in an apartment building and i don't want to bother the neighbors. any ideas? i have an Oak classic D whistle and a Feadog original D whistle. is the Mack Hoover whitecap the way to go?

3. are there ways to mute a whistle and still practice effectively?

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thank you for your time.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Mack Hoover's "narrow bore" is barely wider than a pencil and is extremely quiet. It's the quietest whistle I have ever played, by far.

It's a little bit sensitive to breath pressure (it doesn't need much pressure at all), but it's a really responsive, "sweet" sounding whistle.

Welcome to the forums! Post often! :)
muldoon

Post by muldoon »

cranberry - thank you for responding. would that be a good whistle for me to learn on since i am just starting to learn? will it be harder to learn breath control on that model?
FJohnSharp
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

The Hoover narrow bore does take a little more breath control, and it clogs easily. I think it could be frustrating for a beginner.

A Sweetone is a better beginner wistle, and isn't super loud.

I have whitecaps on a Gen tube and an Oak tube and it's a little quieter on the Gen tube.

Also, if you use the search function and search for the word 'mute,' you may find a thread where someone told how to mute a whistle to make it significantly quieter.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
Dr Funkenstein

Post by Dr Funkenstein »

muldoon,

I sent you a PM with the email addys of the three whistle teachers I know in Milwaukee. For anyone else who may be interested, they are Asher Gray, Brett Lipshutz, and Sue Van Dyke. I can provide contact details through a PM or email--don't want them to get spammed! :wink:

--Jeff
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Hi muldoon---I'm new to playing the whistle too. That's why I can't answer any of your questions. :lol: If you don't have a lot of CD's, this is a good place to listen to some of the great whistle players:

http://www.rogermillington.com/tunetoc/index.html

Good to see the newbie population growing! :)
muldoon

Post by muldoon »

Dr Funkenstein - thank you for the email addressess.
everyone else - thanks for the advice. it has been very helpful.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Put masking tape over part of the fipple window to mute.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
lyrick

Post by lyrick »

muldoon, when I started I also looked for a quiet whistle, because there was just a thin wall between me and my neighbors. I think the best quiet whistle you'll find that plays and sounds like a traditional whistle is the O'Briain Improved Feadog, available from Whistle and Drum. It's especially good in the second octave, where most whistles get real loud. I still play this whistle a lot, even after getting some more expensive whistles. It's quieter than my Oak and regular Feadog.

I don't think you'll find any quieter, though, than the quietest version of a Hoover Whitecap (made on request by Mack Hoover). It doesn't really play like a regular whistle, though, it's so quiet and takes so little breath, but I started out on this and enjoyed it.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but any really quiet whistle is going to take some serious breath control to hit the lowest notes without overblowing them, and to learn how to go between octaves cleanly. But I think you have to learn this in any case.
Love...Serve...Remember
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

The O'Briain improved feadog is a wonderful whistle overall, and it is quiter than most yet loud enough for a small session (3 fiddles and 2 flutes and the O'Briain did fine).

Eric
Dazzle1

Post by Dazzle1 »

I've recently received a Whitecap from Mack and its absolutely marvellous. He really looks after his customers too.

D
Last edited by Dazzle1 on Tue May 03, 2005 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ann

Post by Ann »

Does anyone know if there are whistle teachers in Norther New York? The closest big towns to me are Potsdam, NY and Cornwall, Canada.

I have 4 whistles now, but my favorite is my Mack Hoover narrow bore D. Its pretty and I like the sound. Its quiet which is essential, because I'm sharing a residence with my sister, and the upper register isnt that much louder than the lower one. I don't find breath control to be a problem, and I've been dipping it in dish soap water to reduce the clogging. It works.
kcdwhistler

Post by kcdwhistler »

Hi, I teach in Milwaukee, and the Appleton area. 20+ years now. Send me an email if interested.
Thomas-Hastay

Post by Thomas-Hastay »

Hmmm... No one has told of Jonnie Madden's technique(?!)

Place the whistle in a vertical position with the bottom of the fipple/voicing against the chin. Blow gently across the top of the windway (at the tip) like you are playing a flute. You can adjust the volume with breath pressure.

Another "mute" method... Insert a small block of Balsa wood (cut to size) into the labium ramp area. Try to make a snug fit or use a small rubber band to hold it in place. As you slide it closer and closer to the open window, the whistle volume will get softer until it becomes an airey whisper. I like this method best, because it allows me the option of variable loudness and "whisper mode" over the first 2 registers.

Hope this helps
Thomas Hastay
P.S. Any whistle maker worth his/her salt can make an "air whistle" voicing without a labium ramp. A little rounding on the bottom of the square window is the only trick to it.
"The difference between Genius and stupidity, is that Genius has its limits" (Albert Einstein)
thomashastay@yahoo.com
happyturkeyman

Post by happyturkeyman »

I like the trick where you just rest the fipple on the bottom of the lip and blow into the windway to make an airy sound. You can disguingish notes just fine, and it's very quiet.
We can dance if we want to
We can leave your friends behind
Cause your friends don't dance and if they don't dance
Well they're no friends of mine.