favorite Bb whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
tin tin
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

favorite Bb whistle?

Post by tin tin »

Anyone else think Bb is an ideal whistle key?
I'm curious as to what people's favorite Bb whistle is (and why).
KDMARTINKY
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by KDMARTINKY »

I have a very sweet Chieftain Bb which produces a very nice tone. I use it on rare occasions when I want to try out tunes in different keys other then suggested.
Keith

Bionn dha insint ar sceal agus leagon deag ar amhran
There are two versions of every story and twelve of every song
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

i've got the generation Bb, tunable plastic Dixon Bb, and i have a brass copeland tunable Bb.
Need i say which is my favourite?
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Generation Bb.
/Bloomfield
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

Bloomfield wrote:Generation Bb.
i was waiting for that. that must be quite a genBb you've got!
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Abell, Sindt, Overton and Generation.

I like all of them. My favourite is the Overton; it has a richness and complexity of sound that pleases me more than the others. When I'm looking for purity of sound, the Sindt is the one I turn to although it can be made to sound a little cloudy rather than just sweet.
toughknot

Post by toughknot »

Glad you asked. The Generation is very good (and inexpensive). My favorite Bb is the Cheiftain Gold . It is also my alltime favorite whistle regardless of key.
I shall never bitter be so long as I can laugh at me.
lichatt

Post by lichatt »

I have a Hohner Bb and an aluminium Syn.
The Hohner has the more haunted and complex sound that a whistle can make (sure, it's a personal taste).
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

amar wrote:
Bloomfield wrote:Generation Bb.
i was waiting for that. that must be quite a genBb you've got!
I hadn't even seen your post, lol. But yes, it's a good one: I've lent it out for performance. The new Generation Bb's are iffy, unfortunately.
/Bloomfield
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

My Water Weasel Bb is the one whistle I usually play every day. Partially this is because it lives on my desk whereas my O'Riordan D lives in my backpack. But mostly because it is a great whistle, very comfortable in my large hands, plays like a dream, and it's tough enough you don't have to worry about hurting it.

Of course, I'm still looking forward to that far off day on which I get my O'Riordan Bb....
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
alespa
Tell us something.: Music has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. Part of what I love about celtic/folk style music is the sound of a handful of handmade instruments that remind me of simpler times.

Post by alespa »

Chieftain Gold Bb - very nice :)
There's no such thing as a stranger, just friends we have not yet met.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I have a Thin Weasel in Honduran rosewood that's among the best whistles I own -- this from a person who actively dislikes the key of Bflat. Outside of that, the Water Weasel Bflat is possibly the best in the whole Water Weasel line. It is a hefty whistle that has a lot of low whistle character.

My Generation Bflat is my favorite Generation, and I loved it till I got the WW. Now it's a good car whistle.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

Generation Bb. I have a brass and a nickel the nickel is great the brass is nice but not quite as nice as the nickel. I see no reason to buy any other.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
Jay-eye

Post by Jay-eye »

colomon wrote:My Water Weasel Bb is the one whistle I usually play every day. .... it is a great whistle, very comfortable in my large hands, plays like a dream, and it's tough enough you don't have to worry about hurting it.
chas wrote:... the Water Weasel Bflat is possibly the best in the whole Water Weasel line. It is a hefty whistle that has a lot of low whistle character. My Generation Bflat is my favorite Generation, and I loved it till I got the WW. Now it's a good car whistle.
Oh! I'm still loving the Gen Bb and I find I hardly ever play my Water Weasel Bb/A set. I was thinking I'd sell them but now....... :o
Tóg go bog é, dude.....

j.i.
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I have a whitecap Bb on a Gen tube, and I like it. It's a little quiet and perfect for practicing at home.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony