Mack's whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Band Nerd
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Mack's whistles

Post by Band Nerd »

Today, I just recieved a low D and a high D whistle made by Mack Hoover. They are really awesome! This is my first low whistle, and I am really enjoying it! It is also my first PVC instrument, and I like the PVC a lot better than I thought I would. :lol: The high D is a very nice whistle, as well.

Collin :thumbsup:
Jack

Post by Jack »

Yes, it is official. Hoover whistles are awesome. :)
Unseen122
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Congrats.
peteinmn

Post by peteinmn »

I have a number of Mack's whistles. Yet strangely, I do not yet have enough. He keeps making it more complicated by coming up with great new stuff! :)
Shut up and drink your gin! - Fagin
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

I have six pure Hoovers, and Whitecaps on Feadog and Oak tubes. I'm sure this isn't the end of it.

I now have three of his CPVC whistles (high E, high D, low G), and I really like the sound--a bit more resonant and less pure than the metal ones. I also like the way they look. That off-white CPVC that he uses is more ivory than white--very pretty, really.

I'd be interested in hearing more about your low D after you've had a chance to play it for a while.

An added bonus is dealing with Mack, himself. Every maker/tweaker that I've dealt with has been extremely pleasant, but I must admit that I always particularly look forward to placing a new order with Mack. That must be how I've ended up with to many of his whistles.

Also, if you want a whistle made from some odd bit of tubing, Mack's your man. He made me a fine low A out of an old piece of bamboo that I'd had lying about for decades, and I know he's managed to create whistles out of things like ski poles and arrow shafts.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
Band Nerd

Post by Band Nerd »

Darwin,

I've been playing my whistles nonstop I recieved them, except when I'm at school. My low D (my first {and definetely not the last :lol: } low whistle) is a blast to play! :lol: I'm still trying to work on a better transition from C# to D, but I'm not worried about that, for that will come with practice. It is quieter and takes a different amount of air than my high D. It has an amazing range (compared to any whistle I've ever played), about 2.5 ocataves. It sounds great played with guitar. I'm looking forward to eventually getting more Hoovers.

Collin
Jack

Post by Jack »

Mack is also a really fine businessperson. He replaced a whistle of mine that had a freak accident and broke. :)
greg

hoover fan

Post by greg »

i've got the brass high d and a pvc low g i got just to make the transition to low whistle i was astounded by how good the pvc sounded and looked im going to order a low d pvc from him in about an hour [doing my own christmas shopping] ive also got a burke high d luminium black tip that i like alot but played side by side the hoover just sounds better
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Darwin wrote:He made me a fine low A out of an old piece of bamboo that I'd had lying about for decades, and I know he's managed to create whistles out of things like ski poles and arrow shafts.
And shower curtain rods! I've played all three, it's pretty amazing what he can do with just about anything that resembles a tube.
Byll
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

Collin: Please check your PM.
Best.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
Tom Dowling
Tell us something.: Well, I've been a contributor and visitor to this site since 2001. At one time or another, one of my photographs was the opening page photograph. My teacher was Bill Ochs. I play the Penny Whistle. Not a lot else to say.

Post by Tom Dowling »

For sure, Mack is making some real fine whistles. I am in that pleasant state of mind that occurs when you know one is in the works for you. In this case, it is a Black Top (delrin) D. If not tomorrow, then the day after. If not then, probably the day after that. It matters not. The expectation is an integral part of the deal--a pleasure that is exceeded only by getting your hands on that shiny new puppy!!

Tom D.
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

Mack is a terrible "hoss trader", though, :P

I sent back a blacktop fipple I wasn't pleased with, and I asked him how much he would charge to trade it for his tunable brass / plumbing tube Whitetop in Bb, and he traded even. The only "boot" he would accep was me recording some sound files and letting him use them. :shock:

ftp://fancypiper.info/

It was a different design than the others that I had ordered previously. The tube is all plumbing tubing and the brass is in the fipple. I believe the blade is of brass, too. It should be a simple matter with this design to perhaps have one head and several tubes, but Mack would have to confirm that idea.

I was thinking, since I had a stick of that sized plumbing, I might play around with a design I have been thinking of, since I also try to play the uilleann bagpipes. I want to make a "back D" and a "ghost D" hole and see if it helps with my bagpipe fingering and ease the crosss over learning curve for my pipes.
Tom Dowling
Tell us something.: Well, I've been a contributor and visitor to this site since 2001. At one time or another, one of my photographs was the opening page photograph. My teacher was Bill Ochs. I play the Penny Whistle. Not a lot else to say.

Post by Tom Dowling »

Fancy Piper points out that "Mack is a terrible "hoss trader", though..."

Indeed, of the many things that might be said of Mack, the suggestion that he drives a hard bargain will certainly not be at the top of the list--if on the list at all, for that matter!!

Tom D.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

I have a charming brass D with a green Corian-looking fipple plug that Mack made for another Chiffer. It plays perfectly in both octaves, all the way up, and at a petite volume that is just the thing for playing indoors when you don't want to aggravate the neighbors. It's nicely responsive and enjoyable.

I'm sad to say that there appears to be a bit of corrosion beginning inside the whistle, so I've been wondering if Mack could polish the interior. But, it still plays well, without racket or squeak.
Cotelette d'Agneau
peteinmn

Post by peteinmn »

Lambchop wrote:I have a charming brass D with a green Corian-looking fipple plug that Mack made .......
Lambchop,

I have one of these as well. It's Mack's "Traditional Bore" adjustable, all brass. It even has the same green Corian-looking fipple plug! I couldn't agree more with your comments. Of all the whistles I own, it's the very best for any tune that requires playing sustained notes above second octave G. It just has a beautiful sweet sound and is a little jewel of workmanship as well.