Playing one whistle...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
jonharl
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Playing one whistle...

Post by jonharl »

Today I got my new Humprey Whistle. Now, I've got some pretty good whistles. Jerry Tweaked Generations (2 red top, 1 blue top) and a Jerry Tweaked Mellow Dog that is just outstanding. In fact the Mellow Dog is just about perfect, but... this new Humphrey is as good a whistle as you can buy. I've owned Sindts and this whistle is every bit as good as a Sindt, and I'm on the wait list for another Sindt. I've played this whistle for a couple of hours and I think this will be the only whistle I'll play for awhile.

If you were playing in the key of D only. Could you play only one whistle? If so which one?
TooTs

Post by TooTs »

Not that i've been playing for long, and not that i can really play either, but i really like my Clarke Original.

It plays so easily and sounds wonderful throughout the whole range. And best of all it only cost me £2.45 brand new.
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Still the Burke black tip...

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
MacLeod

Post by MacLeod »

I'm glad to hear that you're digging the Humphrey. I was debating between that and a Southwind B flat.
Anyone tryed a Southwind yet?
My personal favorite so far is my Copeland Brass D.
But then again, I haven't bought any new whistles yet this week!
KDMARTINKY

Post by KDMARTINKY »

My all time favorite whistle in D, that is Low D,is a Chieftain Gold. It is truely a wonderful instrument.
Keith

Bionn dha insint ar sceal agus leagon deag ar amhran
There are two versions of every story and twelve of every song
slowair
antispam: No

Post by slowair »

Just one D whistle?

Lon Dubh
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

The Jerry Tweaked Sweetone for a high D!
i didn't play any others since last christmas.
avanutria
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Herbison's Laughing Whistle. Was there ever any doubt? :lol:
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

My.... precioussss!!

But I'd have to say two. My precioussss, which is of course the Laughing Whistle, and my Busman mopane. The precious is quieter and gets to travel with me, the Busman stays safe and snug at home. I like wood.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
oscartherabbit

Re: Playing one whistle...

Post by oscartherabbit »

jonharl wrote:Today I got my new Humprey Whistle...[snip]... I've played this whistle for a couple of hours and I think this will be the only whistle I'll play for awhile.
I got an Alba high D last Saturday, and I'm still going through the "wow - I don't ever want to play another whistle again" phase. :D
You don't stop playing when you get old. You get old when you stop playing.
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

One d whistle: my Lon Dubh
~JessieD
Bretton
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

The only high D whistle I've been playing for the past year is my Humphrey wide-bore D (Delrin and brass). Before that the only one I played was my Humphrey wide-bore D (PVC). Before that the only one I played was my Humphrey Retro-Fit head on an Oak body. I've got an order in for one of the new 'stealth' versions that has a slightly redesigned airway.

I've tried lot's of whistles over the past six years and so far, Humphrey's seem to fit my playing style and the tone I'm looking for better than anything else. Burkes are a close second though, but they don't have quite as much character (IMO), but they do have a little more volume.

-Brett
glauber

Post by glauber »

If i had to have only one, it would be my Humphrey widebore brass/delrin with customized scale. But i'd miss the Silkstone aluminum and the wooden Syn (all high Ds).
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Sunnywindo

Post by Sunnywindo »

Well, haven't exactly tried every high D whistle out there, but of those I have tried and those I have... narrowing it down to one, that one would be my Busman (wood).
'I wish it need not have happend in my time,' said Frodo.
'So do I,' said Gandalf, 'and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.'

-LOTR-
tubafor

Post by tubafor »

Well, since it's D... it would have to be my Overton Low D, and, hidden away inside my jacket, my Silkstone D+ and a Hoover D with the sweetest tone.

Sorry - that violates the rules. Well, if only one, It'd be the Overton, since I primarily play low whistles. :)
"Vocatus, atque non vocatus, Deus aderit..."
------------------------------------------
Cal Olson
Whistles, Windsynth and other toys...
Hear samples from my CD "Angelica's Waltz" at:
www.myspace.com/praisewhistler